Old 01-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #1

Eternabond; The other side of the coin.

After reading how fellow FRF members have added Eternabond Tape to the roof of their units, I was ready to do the same (and I still may).
However, I was talking to a Prime Time service tech the other day and I was telling him of my plans. He advised against it. He then mentioned a few reasons why.

First, Prime Time belives the Dicor sealant is the best way to go, otherwise they would place Eternabond on their trailers to begin with.

Second, the tape doesn't always adhere to the Dicor very well. This could possibly (not probable but possible) cause a leak under the tape that would be hard or impossible to detect, until it's too late.

Third, If you need to replace a vent or something else on the roof, the tape is very hard to remove safely. You have to be very careful not to damage the rubber roof.

He said Prime Time believes regular cleaning, inspection and maintenance of of your roof twice a year and reapplying Dicor when and where needed is the best way to prevent leaks.

You may or may not agree with what he told me. I'm still not too sure myself, but I thought I would pass this info on to those who may be interested.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Thanks Gary.

I have a giant box of Eterna-bond in the camper waiting for spring. The comment about changing out components on the roof is very valid. Careful work with a razor knife would be needed since you can't get the stuff up, once its down.

Walking on the roof twice a year, can't be good either, though.
My Dicor caulk looks horrible since it attracts mold and mildew.
Most likely I will press on and EB the roof seams as planned.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #3

i think there is a primer you can use over odd surfaces like Dicor and i think you need to use it when your putting the EB on top of itself as well

my 2 cents

dan

2005 Dodge Ram
2011 Rockwood 8281SS
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Gary, I have been wondering about some of the points that Prime Time has made.....that is why I have been holding out doing the Eternabond thing. Glad you started this thread.

My main concern was what if I needed to replace something on the roof. Granted, except for the shower skylite, I read of very few items that need replacing.

The only (apparent) leaks that I have had is the caulk around my front marker light, and my fridge vent.....both of those would not typically be Eternabonded. I check the roof caulking several times a year, and I satisfied that it is doing the job.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Gary, I have been wondering about some of the points that Prime Time has made.....that is why I have been holding out doing the Eternabond thing. Glad you started this thread.

My main concern was what if I needed to replace something on the roof. Granted, except for the shower skylite, I read of very few items that need replacing.

The only (apparent) leaks that I have had is the caulk around my front marker light, and my fridge vent.....both of those would not typically be Eternabonded. I check the roof caulking several times a year, and I satisfied that it is doing the job.
Yesterday when I was doing some caulking on the outside of my tt I noticed a few (not all???) marker lights without caulking and the ones that were, were only caulked at the top and about halfway down the sides. I guessed this was to let any water that may enter to drain out. I only noticed this on a few marker lights and the tail lights. Everything else (front hitch light, amber porch light, outside speakers) had caulk all the way around.
Does this sound right? Or should I caulk all around the lights.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I think my lights are caulked all of the way around, but I will check on that. The front lights could definitely get water underneath going down the road....I have a pretty good rake the front end of my Surveyor. With the side and rear marker lights, I am not sure if turbulence could force water up from the bottom or not.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #7

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
The Eternabond comes off with a hair dryer, Start at the corner and the then as you remove the tape aim the hair dryer on the edge thats being pulled up.....off it comes. Not saying it comes off easy that would defeat the purpose. Yes, the Eternabond will not stick to the Dicor sealent. Thats why your using wide tape to get to either side of the dicor sealent. Eternabond costs more thats why they dont use it. It is very time consuming to put on......most manufactures dont have the time to waste per-say, Dicor does an exceptable job for production line. The area has to be cleaned (rubber roof) before applying. I didnt and some corners started coming up. Now Im sure this was my fault...called Eternabond. They replaced all the Tape I used and sent me 6-cans of there cleaner for free. They explained how to get it up !! I did replace the area's that pulled up on the corners. So I know the Hair dryer method works. I still go up on the roof to check things over(hence seeing the cornes pealing up). I think thats the key too, Check your Camper over top to bottom ! PS The Tape hasnt pulled up since the redo !
Old 01-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Thank you David, I feel much better about proceeding with this project.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 01-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Thank you David, I feel much better about proceeding with this project.
Lou: What do you think about the question that came up earlier in this thread about whether caulking should go all the way around the lights? Seems to me that if water didn't get inside in the first place, there would be no need for it to drain out, except I'm wondering if there could be condensation that would need a way out. Thanks.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Lou: What do you think about the question that came up earlier in this thread about whether caulking should go all the way around the lights?
Yes, that bothered me too, so I went out to check. Most of my exterior lights are caulked completely around. In fact the security lights (the giant round ones on the upper front) are caulked in so much there is no way to change a bulb! Even the screw holes are filled with caulk. I did find one caulked only on the top and sides; but it seemed like after shooting it all over the camper he did not feel like going for another tube.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW

Tags
eternabond