Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
GLCM Warrior

Eternabond Use

I'm considering using Eternabond RoofSeal (Amazon.com: EternaBond RSW-2-50 White Roof Seal: Automotive) over the seams where the screw caps/covers (I think that's what they're called) on the front cap meet the side walls on my 5'er. I believe we've developed a leak there as the caulking seems to have separated...perhaps due to flexing of the fiberglass that takes place at this point.

Looking for opinions on eternabond as a solution...or any other suggestions on a better method to seal this area. I believe that, as of now, when it rains water is entering into the screw cover/cap area and then it finds it way down into the overhang area around the pin box.

One issue I see with the eternabond tape is that the color of the front cap, side wall and screw cap/cover are not the same and the look of the seam may be somewhat odd when completed. It appears the factory used a clear caulk of some sort to seal (or attempt to seal) this spot.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:46 PM   #2

I would use dicor lap sealant. I think that is pretty standard for the seams on most RVs.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:25 PM   #3

I used Eternabond on this joint where the cap meets the side walls and roof. This was what has been recommended most often everywhere I read.
The general application was to use usually 4" tape and then use Dicor to seal the edges of the Eternabond all the way around. Usually self leveling Dicor unless you have to use some on the side then I used no leveling.
I can't say about the color match issue though but I would match the dicor to the eternabond if you go that route.
If you go with Eternabond just be sure you clean the surface real good. There are several videos on how to do this but I use Simply Green to clean first...rinse and then after its dry I go over the entire area where the tape will go with Denatured Alcohol...some use mineral spirits but alcohol does not have any petroleum in it. If you do not clean it well then I have seen eternabond lift. But spend the time and clean it well and wipe it down with Denatured Alcohol and once that tape stick it isn't coming up.
I did mine two years ago and it is stuck like glue. I suggest you go to Home Depot and get a $15.00 linoleum hand roller..its like 3" wide and is perfect for pressing it down. Pressure is what activates the adhesive...although you can press it down by hand too...just go over it multiple times.
Eternabond is great applied correctly but done half arsed it is a nightmare to get off and reapply.
You tube videos on enternabond there are multiple ones with good repair techs showing how to a clean/apply/press and also deal with screwheads and bubbles.
Dont cut corners the videos are good and you will avoid a mess or a failing tape joint.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #4

I used Eternabond on my old trailer as extra insurance against water penetration. I will be doing the same with my new 2016 RLSW.

Ray
2016 W&P 38RLSW
Northern Virginia
sstuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:27 PM   #5

I used it on my last RV. It had been on that unit for over 10 years without any problems. The key is like said before. Clean area prior to application and use the wall paper roller to press it down and seal it.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. I would trust Eternabond tape over any type of tube sealant.

Fred n Wilma
2017 Ford F-150 EcoBoost
2015 Crusader 295RST
Fred H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:31 PM   #6

Fred, can't agree with you on using the roller. It will help the Eternabond stick to the caulking. I already purchased one roll 50 ft. Just need to get another one as my roof is 40 ft long and 102 inches wide. Amazon is where I purchased the first roll in "grey".
Old 09-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstuner View Post
Fred, can't agree with you on using the roller. It will help the Eternabond stick to the caulking. I already purchased one roll 50 ft. Just need to get another one as my roof is 40 ft long and 102 inches wide. Amazon is where I purchased the first roll in "grey".
I'm confused by your statement: "Can't agree with you on using the roller."
I would strongly urge anyone to use the roller. At least for me it made the job much easier and I had no doubt the tape was installed correctly.

Fred n Wilma
2017 Ford F-150 EcoBoost
2015 Crusader 295RST
Old 09-25-2015, 03:36 PM   #8

Sorry , "can" agree. Using an iPad and it's auto correcting. Good catch.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #9

I read somewhere that a certain kind of roller should be used.. Seems like they said some rollers were oil based or something? Any info on the rollers? rubber? wooden? what did you use?
Old 08-03-2016, 09:59 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck9997 View Post
I read somewhere that a certain kind of roller should be used.. Seems like they said some rollers were oil based or something? Any info on the rollers? rubber? wooden? what did you use?
A stainless roller works best.
Some rubber rollers leech oils that interact poorly with the Eternabond.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:11 AM   #11

I used a small wooden roller purchased at Home Depot in the wallpaper dept. Worked perfectly.

Fred n Wilma
2017 Ford F-150 EcoBoost
2015 Crusader 295RST

Tags
eternabond