Old 08-09-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
2016 Shamrock 183 Hybrid
Exterior paint and trim maintenance - How to make it last?

I perused the current threads and did not find what I needed. Forgive me if I missed it - especially if there's a nifty one - just point me in the right direction.

New owners of a Shamrock 183 hybrid trailer with 3 foldouts.

Just got back from 10 days of dry camping in a forest next to Lake Michigan. Had to share only a 2 mile long strip of beach with nearly 300 other people and their was paradise....rained almost 30 minutes and the temperatures were a chilly 84 degrees nearly every day

Anyway, the trailers now 4 months post all exterior surfaces have had time to "cure out."

Spent much of today washing all the exterior surfaces except the roof.

I used Simple Green in a very dilute concentration in combination with a very gentle car washing brush to wash dirt and bugs off the exterior walls....and dust and soil from the bunk and awning canopies. Lots of water to avoids scratching.

We have used a brand of "once a year" polish on all our automobiles and a fiberglass boat with very satisfactory results used it instead of wax. I just completed buffing out the first coat I put on all painted surfaces...including the wheels and things look shinier than when new .

So...finally here's what I am seeking in the way of advice to keep rubber and plastic trims from degrading over time:

1. Rubber/butyl (?) seals are used around the windows and to seal all four corners of the trailer. What product keeps these flexible?

2. The outdoor shower cover and refrigerator vent are each of a plastic material. Looking for a product to preseve these also.

3. What product is recommended to preserve the vinyl bunk canopies?

4. Finally, what product (if any) is recommended to preserve the roof membrane?

If you can recommend products with 100% certainty, or direct me to the thread(s) for each of these, I would be most appreciative.

sparty047 is offline   Reply With Quote

exterior, maintenance