Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #1

Exterior Polish

Alright, I am officially confused. I have studied the threads about what to put on the exterior walls and am I still don't know what I should do. First of all, I"ll go ahead and lay this out there, I am somewhat lazy. No not really, but my time is limited, so I have to make the most of my time. Secondly, what is the difference between a gel coat finish on my fiberglass sided 2012 V Lite and say a clear coat finish for an auto? What is the difference between wash/wax/polish? I will keep my rig in an enclosed building, away from the elements 99% of the time. With the exception of an occasional trip, the trailer will never see the light of day. I would like to use a quick and easy way to apply a protectent that will shine and make it easy to wash off trip debris(bugs, dirt, etc.) after we get home. Bought a bottle of Turtle Wax Ice Synthetic Wax from WallyWorld yesterday. The BOSS was rushing me in the store so I grabbed this. As I studied the bottle, it didn't say anything about fiberglass. So I called the Turtle and they said I need the Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Polish which is made for fiberglass RVs. Checked CW and they have it for $.56 a bottle! Surely a misprint! So what should I do that will be easy, not take much time, and protect my new shine?
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #2

we use starbrite premium one step heavy duty cleaner wax with ptef, put on two coats as recomended, it goes on easy and holds up real well. we use it on our boats also, camper has to sit outside for now, didnt build the garage big enough for all the toys. we pulled the camper two days during our florida love bug season got home and washed off with garden hose, every thing rinsed right off. the wax isnt cheap, expect to pay $35 for 32oz bottle.

Redheaded blue tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
camping

I use Protect All (available at Walmart) a friend told me about it years ago. spray on, wipe then buff off. very easy to do. I do the trailer 2 times a year and the V (front) 3-4 times. I also use bounce dryer sheets (found a post on this site) to get the bugs off - I could not believe how easy they came off.
Walmart.com: Protect All with Carnauba Wax, 16 oz: Automotive

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #4

What ever you decide to use (protect all, formula 303, turtle waz etc), be sure to get some micro-fiber towels to buff with. I was using cotton towels and I would continually get streaks and cloudy spots and I would have to rub and rub to get it to a point where I was satisfied. Used the micro-fiber and it mad a world of difference. A few strokes and it came out beautifu.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #5

Got a big microfiber towel yesterday. Thanks for the tips. Keep'em coming! Believe it or not; back in the old days, we used to use an old pair of our cotton underwear. It was tough deciding which one of my 2 pairs I was going to part with!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Got a big microfiber towel yesterday. Thanks for the tips. Keep'em coming! Believe it or not; back in the old days, we used to use an old pair of our cotton underwear. It was tough deciding which one of my 2 pairs I was going to part with!
choose wisely to avoid black streaks
thats a whole 'nother thread

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Alright, I am officially confused. I have studied the threads about what to put on the exterior walls and am I still don't know what I should do. First of all, I"ll go ahead and lay this out there, I am somewhat lazy. No not really, but my time is limited, so I have to make the most of my time. Secondly, what is the difference between a gel coat finish on my fiberglass sided 2012 V Lite and say a clear coat finish for an auto? What is the difference between wash/wax/polish? I will keep my rig in an enclosed building, away from the elements 99% of the time. With the exception of an occasional trip, the trailer will never see the light of day. I would like to use a quick and easy way to apply a protectent that will shine and make it easy to wash off trip debris(bugs, dirt, etc.) after we get home. Bought a bottle of Turtle Wax Ice Synthetic Wax from WallyWorld yesterday. The BOSS was rushing me in the store so I grabbed this. As I studied the bottle, it didn't say anything about fiberglass. So I called the Turtle and they said I need the Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Polish which is made for fiberglass RVs. Checked CW and they have it for $.56 a bottle! Surely a misprint! So what should I do that will be easy, not take much time, and protect my new shine?
I've used the turtle wax ice (I think it was automotive though, my bad!). Anyway, it goes on easy and covers everything. It doesn't leave any of that residue that used to get in the cracks and small openings and it doesn't turn white on black plastic trim. The easiest on/off wax I've ever used! Somewhere around $15 a bottle in Canada...

The turtle wax ice car wash soap is great also! It leaves a great shine!

happy camping,
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #8

I am a Proctect all man now, tried my first bottle last week and will never go back to a regular wax for my camper again, easy on, easy off, and the best part is works on everything even decals! Made waxing my 5th wheel a piece of cake(somewhat)
rohlingerrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #9

We use liquid glass we have to order but it goes on so easy and leaves the slickest finish ever! Worth the money and we did our tt (23lb microlite) in under 2 hours, which I thought was pretty good; hope this helps.
beanpup is offline   Reply With Quote