Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #1

Exterrior Caulking

Just purchased a 2005 Sunseeker. The dealer used a white silicone type caulking to caulk ever little gap and crack all around the outside. While discussing caulking with an RV repair company they mentioned that they use a silicone caulking to keep all the little gaps sealed. I've noticed that around many of the attachments to the outside where they didn't caulk there is a clay like sealer that has picked up allot of dirt so is dirty brown/black. I'd like to remove this clay material and caulk with nice clean sealer. I went to Camping World and saw they had several different silicone type caulking for around $14-15 per tupe. What is the difference between what they offer and the pure white silicon caulking I can purchase at Walmart for $4? Is silicon the right caulking to use or should I use what was originally used(clay like sealer)?

Thanks
J2Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #2

Dicor Lap Sealant White 10.3 FL.OZ. $10.49 at Amazon.com. That is likely what you saw at Camping World for around $14.00.

Dicor is also available in a "self leveling" formula for flat surfaces. Silicone caulk is not the best (imo) and is very hard to remove. The clay stuff works and is easy to remove but does pick up dirt a lot. I have used them all and for now prefer Dicor even though it is more expensive than the silicone caulk at Walmart or Home Depot, etc.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #3

So the Dicor is easy to remove if necessary? Does it last awhile?
J2Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #4

I believe it does last but I can only say that I have been using it for thirteen months and seen no deterioration in it at all and it is as clean as day one. I read lots of reviews on Dicor before I switched over myself. You should do the same, don't rely on my opinion alone. As far as I can tell so far though it is a quality product.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #5

Last fall before I put the camper into storage I used Dicor all around my camper to do touch up on the caulking. It is what the camper manufactures use. I used the self leveling product on the roof where some of the caulking was starting to crack and the non self leveling on the side walls. I will find out if it worked when the camper comes out of storage but with the research that I did last summer Dicor was the way to go. Here is a link to a video that shows how to care for the Dicor after it is installed.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote