Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
2012 Micro Lite 21 FBRS

Fan runs with lid closed for ceiling fan mode?

I have been looking at the Maxx Fan 4000K

MaxxFan 4000K - Maxxair 00-04000K - Fans - Camping World

for my DW who has them female power surges an needs a fan blowing on her at night when sleeping.

This Maxxfan says: "Fan runs with lid closed for ceiling fan mode".

My question is "Really?"

I don't want to buy this thing if it's not effective. I can't imagine it blowing very much due to no air getting behind the blades with the lid closed

We would want to run it with the lid closed during the summer when the A/C is running, so opening it when it is hot and humid outside will not happen.

I'm interested in opinions from owners of this fan. Thanking you in advance for your input!
Old 08-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Like u I'd like to know how with the lid shut that it could circulate air ?

Nice fan tho.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #3

Wait a few days. Having the 7000 series installed in my Lexington. Should be done Tuesday and leave Wed for Houston and Austin.
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
NELA

Like your wife, I like air blowing on me at night. I solved this by doing the same thing I do at home, even though we have a ceiling fan in our bedroom at home. Don't ask, it's just how we are.

WalMart sells a tiny 4" diameter table top fan...all metal. I simply place one of those on the narrow bedside table in the RV. I just have to remember to *unplug* it before retracting the bedroom slider, as the electrical outlet is on the stationary wall.

When we added a memory foam topper to the bed this fan was below face level while sitting on that table, so I took a small piece of 2X4, sanded it nicely and stained it. Now it's at the perfect level.

Oh, I also put a piece of that "woven foam" looking shelf liner to the top of that block to decrease vibration noise.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
2012 Micro Lite 21 FBRS

OK! I will go ahead and answer my own question. No! Someone's idea of a sick marketing joke. It does NOT work/act like a ceiling fan other than the idea that it is spinning. No air can get behind the fan blades with the vent closed.

MaxxFan 4000K - Maxxair 00-04000K - Fans - Camping World

There is a whisper of air moving just from natural movement, but NO CEILING FAN!!!! As far as intake and exhaust fan, it is probably OK. I will know better when the air cools down around here. My wife and I are very disappointed in spending this much money on something that will be mostly useless to us. It will bring in the cool outside air when needed, but forget about the ceiling fan. We wish that we would have bought a wall mount 12" Lasko fan

Lasko Products 12" Oscillating Wall-Mount Fan 3012LASKO - Walmart.com

from Walmart to do the job, but we didn't want the fan in the way when walking around our bed. Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
Always Learning

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3863604258.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	37540
Old 08-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #7

Sorry you feel that way. Just installed 2 of the 7000K series. One in main living area and one in bedroom. Moved fantastic fan to bath. I can create my own weather.
We bought three, friend bought one for their Solara, and pleased so far. Leave for Texas tomorrow. Will see how they are under full load.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
2012 Micro Lite 21 FBRS

Thanks Displaced2, I think they will be fine for moving air when they are open, but as I said I was mainly interested in ceiling fan mode. I had a Fantastic Fan (and actually think it worked better opened up) but it didn't claim to have a "ceiling fan" mode. Actually the fan motor quit when the vent was closed. This fact should have told me something. Anyway, Yes, please let us know how yours fair when you get to Tejas! Enjoy your trip!
Old 08-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #9

We are here in Texas. Friend tried "ceiling fan" mode and was very pleased. Will try mine when I get back from dinner.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
2012 Micro Lite 21 FBRS

Look forward to hearing from you. I wonder if your friend understands "ceiling fan mode" means closed vent. Air cannot get behind the fan blade in ceiling fan mode. Anyway, please let me know and have a great time in Texas!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #11

Actually the air does get behind blades just not the volume with vent open. Moves the air just not a breeze.
Will know more when we return from Texas.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced2 View Post
Actually the air does get behind blades just not the volume with vent open. Moves the air just not a breeze.
Will know more when we return from Texas.

I know this is an old thread but just curious how the fan worked for you while in Texas. We live in Texas and without reading this forum first, I ordered this fan from Amazon today. Should receive sometime later this week and we will install ourselves. We ordered it to replace a vent in the living area that currently does not have a fan at all. DH is skeptical as to whether it will be any advantage but after reading numerous reviews in various places on the internet and receiving input on another forum, I thought it might. Most of our travels are a few hours or more away and when we arrive it takes a good while to cool the trailer down. I was hoping this would help remove the stuffy air and cool things down faster. Plus I was intrigued by the ceiling fan mode capability. I know it will come in handy on our trips to Colorado but on most our trips within Texas we will not utilize the vent being open much while camping due to humidity and pollen. I figured it would help cool things down when we first get there though and then we can close vent and use in ceiling fan mode to help circulate interior AC cooled air (at least it states it can be used that way on the website). Hoping we will not be disappointed. On the other forum (rv.net) everyone seems to be happy with their purchase. Just curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
ddschuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #13
2012 Micro Lite 21 FBRS

I am NOT satisfied with this MaxxFan 4000K - Maxxair 00-04000K - Fans - Camping World fan. I has about the same or less circulation than the vent fan that I took down. I have contacted the manufacturer and they wanted pictures. I sent them in nearly 2 weeks ago and haven't heard back. Something is very wrong with this as it is similar to the competition except more speeds and reversible and theirs works great.

Tags
fan