Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2010, 05:43 PM   #1

Fifth roof question

Hello.

We bought a 2005 Forrest River Flagstaff 8528bhss 5th wheel. I thought I had a rubber roof, but someone told me it is vinyl.

Which one is it?
What's the best way to care and maintain the roof?
Anyone ever Eternabond the seams on these roofs as a precaution?

Thanks
Firescooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firescooby View Post
Hello.

We bought a 2005 Forrest River Flagstaff 8528bhss 5th wheel. I thought I had a rubber roof, but someone told me it is vinyl.

Which one is it?
What's the best way to care and maintain the roof?
Anyone ever Eternabond the seams on these roofs as a precaution?

Thanks
Never heard of vinyl on the roof, on the ceiling inside but not on the roof. Should be EPDM roof. If it doesn't have gutters install them imediately they have stick on ones. Rubber roof leaves black streaks down the side of a rig like you have never seen. Pain in the butt. Can't stand rubber roofs although they are durable.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #3

You can in fact get a "TPO" roof (thermoplastic polyolefin). It is supposed to be black streak free... I almost bought a kz trailer that had this feature (kz.com - go to the travel trailer brochure and it will be listed near the end with a picture of the trailer construction). I did see a kz trailer last year similar to what I had considered. It too had those dreaded black marks . I could not say for sure that it had the tpo roof but it was the same spree trailer (different model) that I was considering. I have seen the TPO roofing listed for roof replacement. It is also supposed to be lighter and more durable. Hope this helps.
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:02 AM   #4

http://reinesrv.net/2006-forest-rive...le-VA-i121506#
We just purchased a 2006 5th wheel. ANY ADVICE FOR US? We plan to take a short trip to try her out. We've presently had a vr1 travel trailer.
Would appreciate any advice
Jacki2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:59 AM   #5

I can only speak for myself.But my flagstaff has a vinyl roof.Flagstaff's website shows all there models having vinyl on there roofs.
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1956 View Post
I can only speak for myself.But my flagstaff has a vinyl roof.Flagstaff's website shows all there models having vinyl on there roofs.
So, how do I care for it and maintain it.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:46 PM   #7

Right or wrong the tech @ the dealer told me to just wash it like I would the rest of the trailer and that is what I have been doing.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:04 PM   #8

What should I use to protect it?
Old 01-31-2010, 05:55 PM   #9

Other than washing and keeping it covered in the winter months I do nothing.There may be something out there that you could put on it,but I was told the only thing I needed to do was to wash it.Like I said early Right or Wrong I'am not sure.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:03 AM   #10

I agree with washing it i use eagle one car wash soap and a scrub brush and just wash and rinse it really good also gives you a chance to check out the roof while you`re up there.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #11

Check your owner's manual for the roof. My manual calls for cleaning the roof with Murphy's Oil Soap. The product is very cheap and available at grocery stores. I uses it 2-3 times a year with a soft brush and it does a good job of cleaning it.
jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #12

I have a 07 flagstaff was told to wash it with dawn dish washing soap and to use a soft brush like you would use on your car.
hberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #13

Thanks for the washing tips, but what I'm really wanting to know is what to put on it to protect/ treat it.

I have no owners manual. Called Forrest River direct, and after being put through to SIX different people I was finally told "We don't know exactly" NO KIDDING. They gave me the number to the company who makes the roof product, and spoke with TWO people who told me they cannot make recommendations.

So I've spoke with EIGHT people who can't answer my question. I asked about the owners manual and a very helpful lady pulled one up and according to her, it had nothing in there.

So, I know this isn't brain science or rocket surgery...but someone HAS to know...right???
Old 02-23-2010, 12:41 AM   #14

Don't have one of these, but my suggestion would be to wash it and after it dried, spray it with Armour All. I use that on all of the exterior vinyl on my cars, and it seems to offer some protection. Long as it's vinyl, can't see why it would hurt it.
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:27 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Use plywood to protect it.....

Seriously, these roofs are made to be out in the weather, why do you think you need to "protect" it with something?? If anything, I would look at a dealer's parts dept and find some spray on UV protectant and check the instructions to see if it says safe to use on vinyl.....
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks for the washing tips, but what I'm really wanting to know is what to put on it to protect/ treat it.
I think several posters have already said to just wash it and then leave it alone.....that is what I do. Anything that you put on it to protect it will probably do more damage than doing nothing at all. Keeping it clean with a little soap and water is the key to prolonging the roof membrane.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I think several posters have already said to just wash it and then leave it alone.....that is what I do. Anything that you put on it to protect it will probably do more damage than doing nothing at all. Keeping it clean with a little soap and water is the key to prolonging the roof membrane.
Just seems strange that nothing is recommended to protect it from UV, etc.

I may go ahead and use some 303 or something.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Just seems strange that nothing is recommended to protect it from UV, etc.

I may go ahead and use some 303 or something.
Protect it from UV? Store it out of the sun. Other than than just wash it. Those products that are "designed to protect" it will probably void any warranty.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #19

I use Murphy oil soap on the whole trailer. Factory say wash with MOS thats it. I was my camper with it also (called co 1st) they said no problem. It does not contain any oil in it. Leaves the camper clean with a little shine. Water beads up on it. Works for me
2001 H-D Dyna
Honda 2000i
Champion gen 4000
buccello is offline   Reply With Quote