Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #1

First time out… First screw up

Just joined the group a couple of weeks ago, after purchasing a 2004 Forest River Shamrock 21s.

My wife and I are out on our first trip and ran into a little problem last night. Setting up the canopy we didn't lock down the arm and the canopy partially collapsed and damaged the door. See picture.

I need recommendations on what to do in regards to repair. Should I take it in, place a bumper sticker over it, duct tape?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3716705419.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	21629  
GroovyTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #2

OUCH, They make a product in the Marine Ind. that will fill the hole. I used it on fiberglass boat hulls and my trailer. It will turn hard as a rock and fill it in. If you are neat about it you really would not have to sand it. Then you can get a decal the same as is shown from FR and replace it over your repair. I have repaired a whole in my trailer by the back tail light when I hit a table edge. I was lucky I just put a FRF sticker over it but you would need a new decal. You need to call the service department and then send a picture so they know which decal you need, they are cheap. The shipping cost more. Look up the west marine web site you will find the fill there for about $10.00 bucks. Sorry I forgot the name, but if you can not find it let me know and I will get the name of the product for you.
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #3

Thanks. I knew someone here would be able to help. Really sucked when it happened because the camper was in new condition when we bought.

I will look for the filler tomorrow when we get home.

Thanks again.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
Phat Phrog

Hi GroovyTimes! Wish it were better reasons to meet. There are so many helpful folks on this forum to help. Did you buy this unit from a dealer?
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
Phat Phrog

Ahhhh didn't see you already got an answer!!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyTimes View Post
Thanks. I knew someone here would be able to help. Really sucked when it happened because the camper was in new condition when we bought.

I will look for the filler tomorrow when we get home.

Thanks again.
I looked up the product it is Called "Marine-Tec" it is a two part system, very easy to use sells for $20.00 bucks. It will become stronger then the fiberglass. It will be white when mixed. It will be the samething that a rv place would use to repair the whole. look under fiberglass resins...
Old 11-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #7

@RVchick - Thanks. I was hoping to just share happy stories but fate got in the way. . Just one of those lessons I guess. The funny thing is that I was having a good Freind help me who has an awning on his RV so I thought I was safe. It was completely my fault. Didn't get the bar locked when I released the cross member from the side.

I didn't get the RV from a dealer. Found a great deal on Craigslist. My wife and I have been looking for a hybrid for a while now and this was the one. Moving from a pop-up and with the exception of the awning issue was a great trip.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk
I looked up the product it is Called "Marine-Tec" it is a two part system, very easy to use sells for $20.00 bucks. It will become stronger then the fiberglass. It will be white when mixed. It will be the samething that a rv place would use to repair the whole. look under fiberglass resins...
Thanks again for looking it up. I will get an order in and do the repair in the next couple of weeks. Do I need to remove the decals near the damage or just apply over them?
Old 11-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #9

It is actually Marine-Tex. comes in grey, white, blk. Great stuff. It will seal an engine block if cracked and can be drilled and tapped to accept bolts if necessary.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyTimes View Post
Thanks again for looking it up. I will get an order in and do the repair in the next couple of weeks. Do I need to remove the decals near the damage or just apply over them?
I wouldn't remove the whole decal til after the repair so you know exactly where to put the new one, also like I said you need a picture to send along to FR parts dept. To make sure you get the right one. Sorry I do not have your divisions parts #........