Old 03-14-2019, 06:10 PM   #1

Smile Flex Seal

Is the roof on a 2004 FRLexington an EDM roof? I just bought this and could not find any information in literature. I would like to know if anyone has ever used Flex Seal instead of caulking. The previous owner must have had stock in the caulking company, I need to remove quite a bit of excess caulk.

seawolf-judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolf-judge View Post
Is the roof on a 2004 FRLexington an EDM roof? I just bought this and could not find any information in literature. I would like to know if anyone has ever used Flex Seal instead of caulking. The previous owner must have had stock in the caulking company, I need to remove quite a bit of excess caulk.
Flex Seal is a petroleum based product. Definitely bad for EPDM roofing and questionable for a TPO roof. 2004 is about when the transition from EPDM began so yours could be either.

EPDM roofs I am familiar with had a smooth membrane surface (unless painted) and the newer TPO has a texture in it. I personally would stick to regular RV sealers rather than use Flex Seal.

That said the Flex Seal is pretty good for leaks at the end of metal gutters on my house where they put the cap on seamless gutters. Have two that used to leak right onto my front porch. Not now though.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #3

My guess is the caulking you are talking about is dicor lap sealant. Depends on what it looks like but compared to caulking they use a lot.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:30 PM   #4

flex seal

Thank you, did not think about the petroleum. My roof is smooth, don' know what kind of caulk used but it looks like he just kept putting more on top off what was there. pretty ugly, any recommendations on what brands of epdm cleaner to use?
Old 03-14-2019, 06:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Thank you, did not think about the petroleum. My roof is smooth, don' know what kind of caulk used but it looks like he just kept putting more on top off what was there. pretty ugly, any recommendations on what brands of epdm cleaner to use?
I have heard that many people just use Simple Green or Dawn on EPDM roofing. Be careful though as either are very slippery. I used to wash an area in front of me with bucket of soapy water (dawn) and long handled brush. When area was clean I rinsed well with the hose before I moved my feet. Perhaps a paranoid approach but I have had all the "broken bone experiences" I want in my lifetime. I figure if I'm not walking on soapy surfaces the chances of slipping and falling off the roof are greatly reduced.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 03-14-2019, 06:58 PM   #6

I like simple green, do I need to use a sealant on it after? There are a lot of gray spots the roof, wondering how long these roofs are good for.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:11 PM   #7

Quote:
I like simple green, do I need to use a sealant on it after? There are a lot of gray spots the roof, wondering how long these roofs are good for.

My 1995 trailer came with an EPDM roof. Somewhere around 2004-2005 I applied a coating to it after it too developed a few gray spots where the white coating was wearing thin.

I bought a coating kit from Camping world that consisted of a primer and coating material that was essentially a white liquid EPDM.

Pressure washed the roof well to remove any loose oxidized material. Applied the primer and according to the instructions, pressure washed again. When totally dry, (next day) I applied the fresh white coating using a roller, using a brush around the edges and roof penetrations to make sure there was 100% coverage. When I sold the trailer in 2017 the coating was still doing the job.

FWIW, I believe the manufacturer of the coating I used was Carlisle. Regardless there are some good products for EPDM roof membranes on the market that I'm sure will work just as well as what I got. It's my belief that if you get to the roof before it starts to crack and get a protective flexible coating on it the roof should last as long as the rest of the trailer. Just make sure the product is suitable for EPDM and avoid anything that has petroleum distillate in them.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 03-14-2019, 07:26 PM   #8

FWIW, a lot of people use Eternabond in the way you were thinking of using Flex Seal. It's recommended to have some in your tool kit in case you have a tear in your roof. Do a search, there are several threads that talk about using Eternabond.
Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:55 PM   #9

X2 SailorSam20500 ,Eternabond is a long time fix.
Stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:20 PM   #10

Eternabond...
my experience with it...

Roof preventive maintenance

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal