Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #1

Front Cap on our Silverback

Looking for a contact to discuss the oxidation on our front cap. Our dealer is useless (Camping World, Avondale, AZ). We purchased the 5 year extended warranty, however, it doesn't cover the oxidation issue EVEN though it has been proven to be a manufactures flaw.. I spoke to our attorney this morning, and he said to go directly to Forest River for a solution before we bring him into the picture. So, can anyone tell me if they have a point of contact for this issue. It would be greatly appreciated.
Silverback 29RE 2013

Many thank you.
Bogey3025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:44 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your problem. However I too have a similar issue with my 2012 Wildcat Sterling 5th wheel. Did you have any luck making contact with Forest River about the problem? I'm up in Washington and have kept under cover except when in use.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2012 Forest River Wildcat Sterling Edition
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
tstillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey3025 View Post
Looking for a contact to discuss the oxidation on our front cap. Our dealer is useless (Camping World, Avondale, AZ). We purchased the 5 year extended warranty, however, it doesn't cover the oxidation issue EVEN though it has been proven to be a manufactures flaw.. I spoke to our attorney this morning, and he said to go directly to Forest River for a solution before we bring him into the picture. So, can anyone tell me if they have a point of contact for this issue. It would be greatly appreciated.
Silverback 29RE 2013

Many thank you.
I posted a quick reply. Not sure how well this messaging is.
So I'm sending a direct message. I too have a similar issue and also need a FR contact. Hoping you have info you can share.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:00 PM   #4

Yes, I actually moved the post and received some feedback. It's a common issue. Cedar Creek has agreed to warranty the issue. They provided a list of approved vendors in our area. When we get ready to order our new 34RL this will be an issue we address prior to purchase. Good Luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Bogey3025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:25 AM   #5

Go to their website and start there. They have contacts for all of their brand lines. I know that for Sandpiper the sales and service resides in the same building as their final assembly.

Computer Nerd
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duramax
2015 Sandpiper 35ROK
Computer Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #6

Thanks, I got a referral but haven't heard back. I'll continue the direct approach.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
Old 04-07-2015, 01:47 PM   #7
jmh

Just noticed some oxidation on my 2014 silverback 29re. I bought this unit used last august so I didn't get the manufacturer warranty. Should forest river still cover this with the issues they have been having with this problem. It is on the top of front cap.
jmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:33 PM   #8

Followup on

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
Just noticed some oxidation on my 2014 silverback 29re. I bought this unit used last august so I didn't get the manufacturer warranty. Should forest river still cover this with the issues they have been having with this problem. It is on the top of front cap.
Although it took some time to hear back from Forest River here is what I learned.

1. The oxidation is a non-warrantable item. It says in the paperwork that any exterior deterioration due to environmental exposure in not covered.
2. All of the gelcoat finishes are porous and they have found all colored gelcoats from light gray to black will experience this oxidation.
3. The Oxidation can appear as soon as 14-18 months. We were luckier than most and it took nearly 36 months to begin.
4. They recommended a restoration process with Maguire’s products to clean, polish and buff to a like new surface.
5. Use a wax the can provide UV protection and apply twice a year to slow and protect from the UV damage.
6. Finally location is a big contributor to how soon the effects will appear. Locations exposed to airborne pollutants will be effected sooner. The rep shared that California rigs are damaged sooner when and uncovered rig in Arizona may not show any signs for years because of cleaner air.
7. Options include the process above, or you have a 5th wheel (like us) to have the front cap painted with automotive paint which will provide a more permanent protection for the gelcoat.

I hope this info helps, I understand it’s probably not what you wanted to hear. But to know that we didn’t do something to cause the damage and we have processes to protect and or repair the damage is hopeful.
Tom

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
Old 04-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #9
jmh

Thanks for reply. No not what I wanted to hear but expected to hear. It's not to bad now cause after reading these posts I was cleaning and waxing yesterday noticed its starting. Hopefully I caught it in time. I'm in new jersey and my 5er in in shade most of time.
jmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:45 PM   #10

cap fading

Forest river has a recommended fix "betterway cap Repair" it calls for sanding,buffing,then clear coating,they will pay 11 hours labor for this. My recommendation is to paint and clear coat.
jackssilverback29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackssilverback29 View Post
Forest river has a recommended fix "betterway cap Repair" it calls for sanding,buffing,then clear coating,they will pay 11 hours labor for this. My recommendation is to paint and clear coat.
You are right, I was told this is the help thats offered "IF" still within the first 12 months of ownership. If this applys to you, take them up on it, it's worth it. I however am subject to my earlier post to remedy my issue.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, it's just an unexpected expense. I would have appreciated knowing this going into my decision to make this purchase. I love my 5'er and will do what needs to be done to keep her healthy for a long time.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA