Old 07-24-2017, 02:15 AM   #1

Gash in Fiberglass repair??

Hi~

We just bought our motorhome (used) last week and while washing it tonight we found a gash on the over the cab section. What do we use to repair it?

cheechcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:31 AM   #2
Just as confused as you

Eternabond

You can get it in widths of 2" to 6", lengths from 10 to 50 feet. It has a layer of vinyl on it. You can also get it with aluminum layer for Airstream TT's. It will work with rubber (EPDM), TPO, aluminum and fiberglass roofs.

Clean the area with mineral spirits, remove any excess with a dry rag, remove the backing, and lay the eternabond, once it touches it is stuck, get the roller with it and firmly roll it down. Eternabond recommends using a thin bead of dicor around the edge.

I just did the front of my TT on Tuesday morning. I had a small opening in the dicor from shrinkage and a couple of places on the front trim piece of the roof where the trim was showing through the dicor. I covered the seam from one side to the other. It was kinda hard getting it to lay perfectly, but I think it went well. I ordered 6" x 50' from amazon for about $90.

Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheechcat View Post
Hi~

We just bought our motorhome (used) last week and while washing it tonight we found a gash on the over the cab section. What do we use to repair it?

It depends how picky you are, Can you see it, I guess not being you didn't see it at the time you bought it. You can either take it to a body shop or if you can't really see it buy a product call TEX MIX at either Ace or West marine. It a two part mix used to repair holes in boats. It will not leak and it will harden more then the fiberglass. I have used it both on my sail boat and my trailer, I had to fill a hole, but was able to put a sticker over it, I was able to see it in that area. It comes in White and I think Gray now. depending on how deep there is also another product good for stress cracks. It is called MagicEzy, comes in color, look it up on Google...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, gas, repair