Old 07-24-2019, 08:00 PM   #1

Geocel Proflex not sticking to existing sealant around water heater

Good evening,

Our RV's water heater shifted after a trip and was reseated by our dealer a couple of weeks ago (still under warranty). When it shifted, it shifted out about 1/2 an inch and broke the sealant bead around the frame of the water heater. They attempted to repair this, too, but did what I thought was a shoddy job with holes still present.

I was resealing around some windows with a tube of geocel proflex, so I repaired the gap myself, however after two weeks, it looks like the proflex is not sticking to the existing sealant - which in this spot is the original factory sealant.

Did Palomino use silicone here in this picture (the white sealant)? If not, is there some other sealant I should be using due to the heat the water heater puts off?

Picture link #1:https://imgur.com/a/IBR0eL1
Picture link #2: https://imgur.com/a/SlV1K8X

Thanks!

JayG7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
Head Rambler

I can't view the pictures on Imgur, but it sure sounds like they used silicone. Almost nothing will stick to it once it's cured, even more silicone. You'll need to completely remove it and start over.

You'll need to cut as much of the bead off as you possibly can. Then you can soak it with vinegar or Isopropyl alcohol for a few hours and then rub it off. You may have to do that a few times to get it all off.

P.S. They also make silicone caulk remover. 3M makes a couple that you could look at. 38984 Specialty Adhesive Remover & 38987 Specialty Adhesive Remover. I've never used them, but I would certainly try them.

Tags
heater, seal, water, water heater