Old 12-28-2016, 04:35 PM   #1
Uncle AL

Georgetown 378xl Roof Leaks

I purchased a Georgetown 378xl in 2013 and it has been stored under roof during winters in the Mid-West. I have had our local RV Dealer do the Seal Tech Test for any leaks, each year with just a window leak on the front windshield. (The Seal Tech Test pressurizes the coach and allows the tech to observe where there are leaks via a vapor stream on the outside). This year, their test resulted in numerous leaks around the roof, drivers door, entry door, tail lights and windshield to the tune of $2,400 to repair. The repair would require removing the old sealant with a plastic spatula and re-sealing with the appropriate sealant.

I asked the dealer to call Forest River and no claims to any defective sealants being used nor any similar issues with the construction.

Has anyone else experienced this degree of leaks everywhere and if so, what did you do to correct?

Thank you,

Windy City Al

Old 12-29-2016, 05:44 AM   #2

Your rig is going on 4 years old. Just because it's stored under cover in the winter dosen't mean the caulking over seams dosen't dry out, resulting in cracks that will let water in.
Also, you don't say that any of the "yearly" checks that were done included recaulking the seams.
The caulking needs to be checked at least yearly, twice a year is better, and any cracks in the caulk need to be treated with a good cleaning and a re application of caulk.
Sorry, but after 3-4 years of not keeping up with maintaince, the leak problem will fall on your shoulders not FR.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
Uncle AL

Hello Grumpy

Dear Grumpy:

Thank you for your response. To clarify, I have had the coach inspected for leaks each year and any that have surfaced were repaired over the last 4 years. In December of this year is when all of the issues of the roof and other areas surfaced. I am wondering if the RV Dealership may have missed some of the issues in the past and all hit at once??

Going forward, I will take your advice and inspect/repair myself.

Thanks for the comments and what have you used to fix the leaks in the past, if you have had any?

Take Care and Happy RV'ing

Uncle Al
Old 12-29-2016, 12:18 PM   #4

Maybe get a second opinion? Did you witness every leak? $2400 sounds excessive.

There is usually no need to remove the old sealant on the roof. Just clean it real well with solvent, I use rubbing alcohol, and float the new sealant over the bad areas. Once you do that once or twice then you may need to remove it the next time, maybe not. I assume we're talking lap sealant and unfortunately it breaks down over time. Keeping it under cover will help delay it but it will dry out and crack.

I have yet to have an RV that I have not had to touch up sealant somewhere before the first year was up. On our 2017 I was touching up stuff less than 5 months after we brought it home due to Rockwood mashing the vent covers in the uncured sealant which caused a leak.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle AL View Post
I purchased a Georgetown 378xl in 2013 and it has been stored under roof during winters in the Mid-West. I have had our local RV Dealer do the Seal Tech Test for any leaks, each year with just a window leak on the front windshield. (The Seal Tech Test pressurizes the coach and allows the tech to observe where there are leaks via a vapor stream on the outside). This year, their test resulted in numerous leaks around the roof, drivers door, entry door, tail lights and windshield to the tune of $2,400 to repair. The repair would require removing the old sealant with a plastic spatula and re-sealing with the appropriate sealant.

I asked the dealer to call Forest River and no claims to any defective sealants being used nor any similar issues with the construction.

Has anyone else experienced this degree of leaks everywhere and if so, what did you do to correct?

Thank you,

Windy City Al

Uncle Al,
IMO If that $2,400.00 is to just replace caulk and/or sealant in the areas you indicated, then it sounds to me like they're trying to overcharge you. I don't know your situation or inclinations (I inspect and repair the roof (and anything else that I can!) on our MH), but I think that you can get it fixed for less $$$. Just my 2cents.
Good luck to you 🙂

Shaun & Michelle
2016 Sunseeker 3010DSF
Old 12-29-2016, 02:12 PM   #6

If you haven't already, you need to get up there and see exactly what the condition of the caulk is. If it's still pliable but just cracked in places, then it may just need a good cleaning with mineral spirits and then a second cleaning with acetone. After that it's ready for a new coating with some good self leveling caulk like Dicor.
If the caulk is completely dried out and peeling in places, then yes, you may have to have the old scraped off and totally new caulk applied.It's dependant on what condition the old caulk is in. $2400 bucks is rather high as material is only a few hundred bucks depending on how many tubes of caulk is needed and cleaning materials needed.
This is just one of the more important maintaince jobs that must be done, but if checked a few time a year and touched up when needed, is not a big deal.
As you have found out, when let go for awhile, it becomes a much bigger and more expensive job to do.
I've been lucky as the week I brought our Lexi home I completly resealed the seams with new caulk over the new caulk, and sealed the front and back caps to roof seams with Eternabond. That was almost 4 years ago, and I've never had a leak. Still get up on roof every 2-3 months and clean and check for anything wrong.
Grumpy

Old 12-29-2016, 05:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle AL View Post
Dear Grumpy:

Thank you for your response. To clarify, I have had the coach inspected for leaks each year and any that have surfaced were repaired over the last 4 years. In December of this year is when all of the issues of the roof and other areas surfaced. I am wondering if the RV Dealership may have missed some of the issues in the past and all hit at once??

Going forward, I will take your advice and inspect/repair myself.

Thanks for the comments and what have you used to fix the leaks in the past, if you have had any?

Take Care and Happy RV'ing

Uncle Al

Just note here your repairman uses a sophisticated method of finding leaks. Most mortals would claim can't find anything till it's too late and internal damage results.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 12-30-2016, 05:22 AM   #8

UncleAl, all the problems that your shop is telling you about stems from lack of proper maintaince. The gaskets around doors, windows, lights, slide seals, ect, will dry out over a period of time. This is in addition to the caulk drying out and cracking.
These items do not just all fail at the same time, and most gaskets do not fail at all given just a bit of proper maintaince. If, after the 4 years your dealer is telling you they need replacement, and their the ones that have been preforming the maintaince on your rig, then they haven't been doing their job.
As stated, seams and caulk need to be checked and maintained as often as possible. Gaskets, slide seals, rubber trim and parts need to be treated on a regular basis, several times a year. Treat with 303 Aerospace Protectant.
If your unable to do the maintaince yourself, I would seriously look for another shop that will do a yearly inspection AND maintaince schedual properly.
Just having a pressure test done is not all that needs to be done.
You cannot beat a good eyeball inspection along with a touchy-feely inspection.
Grumpy

Old 12-30-2016, 03:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
UncleAl, all the problems that your shop is telling you about stems from lack of proper maintaince. The gaskets around doors, windows, lights, slide seals, ect, will dry out over a period of time. This is in addition to the caulk drying out and cracking.
These items do not just all fail at the same time, and most gaskets do not fail at all given just a bit of proper maintaince. If, after the 4 years your dealer is telling you they need replacement, and their the ones that have been preforming the maintaince on your rig, then they haven't been doing their job.
As stated, seams and caulk need to be checked and maintained as often as possible. Gaskets, slide seals, rubber trim and parts need to be treated on a regular basis, several times a year. Treat with 303 Aerospace Protectant.
If your unable to do the maintaince yourself, I would seriously look for another shop that will do a yearly inspection AND maintaince schedual properly.
Just having a pressure test done is not all that needs to be done.
You cannot beat a good eyeball inspection along with a touchy-feely inspection.
Grumpy

Just by chance when was the last time your rig was s pressure tested to how many psi? Or did they use inches of mercury gauge or maybe inches of water gauge. That ain't no touchy test, it can be crucial to finding and saving a expensive rig from water rot.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 12-30-2016, 03:44 PM   #10

Vince, I've never had my Lexi pressure tested. When I mentioned touchy-feely, I ment checking on a regular basis all the areas that water could intrude. I have a routine where I access the interior of my front cap, rear cap, via removable panels or speaker grills. They were already there so I remove them and I can check for leaks. I check the interior of cabinets that are mounted along a ceiling/wall junction. I check the areas around the windows and slides.
These checks take me all of 5 minutes, and I check my roof caulking at least every 2 months, more often if we're back from a trip and I'm cleaning the Lexi.
My Lexi is now going on 5 years old, and I can say without hesitation, I've never had a leak in our rig. Never!!!
So to my way of thinking, keeping a regular maintaince routine, spending several minutes a month doing a walk/look/touch/feel eliminates a lot of the problems I've seen do to letting "someone else" do it and taking their word for it.
Grumpy

Tags
georgetown, roo, leak, roof, 378xl