Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #1

Getting on the roof to service

I have a Salem 23fbl and am in need of servicing around the vents on the roof. Do I need to lay a piece of plywood or something up there before I put my 190lbs on it? It is a 2006 and I really haven't had to do much up there but I need to recaulk around the vents etc. This is a light version so there is no ladder or roof storage.
Phone Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:33 PM   #2

I weigh 286, no problems, I don't put anything on there. (I weighed 329 at one time and went up there, no problems.
Jack

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone Guy View Post
I have a Salem 23fbl and am in need of servicing around the vents on the roof. Do I need to lay a piece of plywood or something up there before I put my 190lbs on it? It is a 2006 and I really haven't had to do much up there but I need to recaulk around the vents etc. This is a light version so there is no ladder or roof storage.
I also weigh around 190. The roof creaks and moans, but so far no problems. I do not use any kind addition to distribute the weight. I am careful to wear soft, clean soled shoes, or go barefoot.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:53 PM   #4

I have a 2306 and weigh around 180 and had no issues - as long as you are not jumping on the roof you will be fine.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone Guy View Post
I would be more afraid of inadvertently damaging the TPO or Rubber roof by mishandling the hunk of plywood or moving it around , than by walking on the roof.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice. I went up yesterday to check things out. I layed a carpet down first and got over my fear of damaging something. I installed a vent hood and washed the roof so I can evaluate what I need to do. It has been raining almost non stop here so I wanted to get something done while there was a break in the weather.

We are leaving Saturday for Yellowstone but due to the weather here some of the maint. issues will have to wait. There are no leaks to worry about so it's not a big deal.
Phone Guy is offline   Reply With Quote