Old 11-21-2018, 04:56 PM   #1

Gold Line and covers in general - Is it me?

So new 2018 TT this year. I chose to cover it for the winter, for reasons I won't get into, just let me say I'm justified in my decision. Bought a new Goldline in the size listed for our unit, which is a Rockwood Ultra Lite Signature 8311WS. Got the cover on, all strapped with what came with it, an optional roof kit (three more straps for the roof) and even an extra strap all the way around, right around the middle area of the trailer. It's fairly breezy today, but is supposed to get pretty nasty tonight and tomorrow with gale force winds and temps in the teens. I'm watching this thing flapping and wondering, Is this going to damage the finish during our nasty New England winters, or am I worrying for no good reason?

Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #2

I've covered our TT for the last two winters here in Indiana. I am not familiar with the Goldline, I have an ADCO - they look fairly similiar, but it sounds like yours may have even more straps than mine, which will help in preventing damage from the cover...I have not had any damage to my TT from the ADCO cover and we can get some decent winds around my area along with the snow, ice, rain, freezing rain, etc. I'm sure not as bad as you get up there though. The key is to strap it down as best you can. One thing I did learn after our first year was be weary of "hot spots" that can pop up and damage the cover. Rain spouts on the corners are #1 - I tried covering them with pool noodle material the 1st year and didn't work too well, so switched to tennis balls over them and they worked great! Another spot, at least on my Puma TT, was the bottom corners of the fold up stairs...again, it comes down to strapping down the cover as best as possible to prevent rubbing.

So, I guess the long about way to answer your question is, no - you should be fine and not have damage from the cover to the TT or finish. You're more likely to have damage to the cover from the TT.

But that's just MHO from my experience, I'm sure others have their own stories/thoughts.

Good luck and Go COLTS! lol

Old 11-28-2018, 07:32 PM   #3

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm probably overthinking it. It was either going to be an Adco or the Goldline, and I went with the Goldline for two reasons. 1, it sounded like it might have been a little better suited for our weather, and 2, the five year warranty. I used pieces of foam pipe insulation (pretty much the same thing as pool noodles) and electrical tape over the ends of the rain spouts. I went out to check the cover after a windy night last week and was a bit surprised to find some of the straps had loosened up. That was not a good sign. I pulled them tight again, and will keep an eye on them. Luckily I have a huge roll of nylon web strapping my son-in-law gave me, so I can strap the cover as much as I want, if the stock Goldline straps continue to be a problem. The stairs on ours fold up inside the TT so they are not a problem. The other thing I wasn't too sure about was the wifi antenna, so I made a cap to protect it from the cover, and the cover from it. (pics attached) I feel a little better after reading your post, and I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and hope for the best.
Happy camping, and go PATS!

Click image for larger version

Name:	wifi cap1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	192331

Name:	wifi cap2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	192332

Name:	wifi cap3.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	277.7 KB
ID:	192333
Old 11-29-2018, 10:29 AM   #4

Nice job on that wifi cover, mine does not have one but that looks well built.

I actually used the pipe insulator and electric tape on one of my 1st ones and it kept coming off with the rubbing - probably my bad - not enough tape, but the tennis balls fit nice and snug.

My new TT also has the fold up steps - REALLY like that feature on the new models and so much sturdier that the old style.

Good luck through the winter and we'll see ya in the AFC Championship (IF we make the playoffs - haha)!
Old 11-29-2018, 10:59 AM   #5

Not uncommon for the straps to loosen a bit after it's first put on. I usually tighten mine two or three times during the winter season. Think the cover has a tendency to stretch after it's been put on and wind has worked on it a few times.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:09 AM   #6

I'll probably switch to tennis balls next year. This time it was a case of "use what ya got on hand". When we were looking at TT's we had pretty much decided on a Jayco Eagle, (basically the same floor plan as the Rockwood) then our sales lady showed us the Rockwood. At first it seemed like a tough decision, but between the nicer bunkhouse, the front bedroom window, (my wife loves the window) and the much sturdier stairs, it was a no brainer.
Good luck to you as well . Colts, Pats.... sounds like a game to me!
Old 11-29-2018, 11:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Not uncommon for the straps to loosen a bit after it's first put on. I usually tighten mine two or three times during the winter season. Think the cover has a tendency to stretch after it's been put on and wind has worked on it a few times.

That's good to know, thank you very much for your reply. I was thinking, if this happens a couple more times I'll be calling the factory, but I'll keep an eye on the straps and tighten them as needed.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:58 PM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

Putting my cover on for first time tomorrow. Stopped at Dollar Tree, and spent 6 bucks on supplies to keep starp stuff from tearing cover: 4 foam rubber kids balls to stick on gutter spouts, a laundry basket to put upside down over the Winegard TV antenna, and a smaller plastic basket to put over WiFi ranger. BTW, I contacted the Ranger company, and they advised the antennae are not removable, and placing something over them is a good idea. I was happy to see the radio antenna is on a swivel mount, which I was able to rotate down so antenna is laying flat against roof.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #9

Hi, thanks for your reply. Wish I had thought of the laundry basket idea! I'm not too worried about the Winegard antenna because it's fairly close to the front ac unit, but next year I'll spend a few bucks for the extra protection. And yes, it is good that the radio antennas can swivel down, the first thing I did was lay them on the roof. I was hoping the Wifi Ranger antenna unscrewed, but did some research which led me to making that cap for it. Guess it's a good thing in one way, that it doesn't come out because then there would be a nice hole for water to get in and drown the electronics.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:08 PM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

just keep an eye on that antenna. The sharp metal edges protruding from the trailing edge of the plastic 'wing' had me concerned thinking of it cutting cover. Another thought is taping some bubble wrap around the thing. I have a 'snow rake' I plan on using to try to pull excess snow off trailer so it's not stressing area of cover between TV antenna and A/C unit.

Tags
cover