Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2019, 07:14 AM   #1
swj

hail damage

$12,000 of hail/wind damage to FRiver TTrailer. Ins approved estimate from RV Dealer to Repair and Replace roof and replace existing logo/decals on the trailer. Any thing to watch for on roof replacement? After logo/decal replacement, is there a new coat of wax or sealant to protect the logo/decals.
After the MFG puts the decals on do they anything to protect? Windows, doors and awning are to be replaced also. Comments on what I should be looking for during repair.
swj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:55 AM   #2

Do yourself a favor, call the specific division and see if you can get all of that done at the factory. I would not trust a gaggle of dealer service department hacks, that may or may not know the business end of a screw driver, to be doing all of that to my TT.

How did hail damage graphics? I would thing that hail large enough to damage graphics on the sidewall would have done some damage to the sidewall itself?

Sounds like they should of totaled it. Roof, windows and doors, awning. holy cow.
Feel Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel Swift View Post
Do yourself a favor, call the specific division and see if you can get all of that done at the factory. I would not trust a gaggle of dealer service department hacks, that may or may not know the business end of a screw driver, to be doing all of that to my TT.

How did hail damage graphics? I would thing that hail large enough to damage graphics on the sidewall would have done some damage to the sidewall itself?

Sounds like they should of totaled it. Roof, windows and doors, awning. holy cow.
If OP had full replacement coverage totaling the unit could cost the Insurance company 2-3 times the $12 K depending on the model, year, etc.

As for decals, I spend just short of a decade living near Denver. Hail isn't always just slushy ice balls. Sometimes it has the consistency of crushed rock and it will not just dent, it will also scrape a surface badly.

Back in the 80's I saw a Montana 5th Wheel that was "attacked" by hail, coincidentally in Northern Montana, and there wasn't much on that trailer that wasn't damaged. It looked like it has received a broadside of "grape shot" from a revolutionary war era cannon.

Owner had it totaled by the insurance company, then bought it back for the salvage price. Had a shop spray a 3 inch thick layer of foam on the roof then covered it with sheet aluminum. Looked weird but he then used it to camp for another three years.

Side note, owner was inside when the hail hit. One huge ball of ice broke directly through a roof vent, bounced off the bedroom steps, and hit him right in the "chicken tenders". He put the hail stone in a zip lock bag and into the freezer. When he showed it to me it was the size of a small grapefruit.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote