Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2018, 08:45 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick83 View Post
I’m convinced. There are two types of Rv owners. Those that have leaks and look for them constantly and repair them and those that have leaks they do not know about and do not look that are causing damage. I’m pretty sure EVERYONE has or will have leaks. I guess if you have the $ you can have a shop use the machine to help find leaks once a year. I continuously caulk and inspect and still have had 3 leaks. Even the dealer missed one of them twice. You just have to pray you catch the leak in time before it causes damage. [emoji849] just needed to say this.

And that applies to life as it does to RV’s.
Think about that ...
If you wake up each morning knowing that somewhere in your day there Will be a problem, but happy and grateful to have that one more day you will confidently move forward with watchful eyes ready to take care of whatever you encounter, not afraid, just aware and ready to accept whatever comes your way with confidence.
Leaks aren’t just in our RV’s...
You ,my friend, know the secret.
It is in the last sentence of your post.
Thank you for posting!
“You just have to pray you catch the leak
in time before it causes damage.”
But, then
you must be willing to do something about it ...
jean hampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:25 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post

Moral of the story. Don't assume because its new it was installed correctly! Get up on the roof during your PDI if you can.

X2! Can't emphasize this enough, and if dealer tries to shrug it off be more insistent. Check it yourself!
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #43

why dont they just put Eternabond on from factory. geez . I get they are doing this stuff on the cheap but there are things they could do to improve quality that dont add much to the cost.
Wilnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:04 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean hampton View Post
And that applies to life as it does to RV’s.
Think about that ...
If you wake up each morning knowing that somewhere in your day there Will be a problem, but happy and grateful to have that one more day you will confidently move forward with watchful eyes ready to take care of whatever you encounter, not afraid, just aware and ready to accept whatever comes your way with confidence.
Leaks aren’t just in our RV’s...
You ,my friend, know the secret.
It is in the last sentence of your post.
Thank you for posting!
“You just have to pray you catch the leak
in time before it causes damage.”
But, then
you must be willing to do something about it ...

Your post went straight to my heart. Thanks for your words to live by, they are great. And your are correct. I do get it. And fix things daily [emoji849]. But your attitude is great and true and I hope to be more like that. [emoji6]. Just this week my dryer broke and my house has a leak. My hot tub controller needs replaced. Then my crown fell out taking half the filling and they pulled my tooth yesterday. This all after cracked aluminum rim and flat on Rv while we were on last trip. Funny the Rv is done for now. Just fixed major kitchen slideout hose leak that org sink hose design was problematic and now it’s done right. IM SO GLAD IM RETIRED!!! I am thankful God gave me the talent to repair and organize things. I need to have s better attitude that “poop” happens. Thanks again.
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #45
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilnel View Post
why dont they just put Eternabond on from factory. geez . I get they are doing this stuff on the cheap but there are things they could do to improve quality that dont add much to the cost.
Forest River put Eternabond on my slides where the screws are that fastens the outside wall to the slide roof. I had not noticed it until I put eternabond on my roof seams.

Take a good look at your RV, you might be surprised what you find.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:53 PM   #46

Would applying eternabond tape to the seam on my roof where I now have a caulk bead help avoid problems in the future? The reason I ask is I was cleaning that seam today and noticed a couple of spots where the caulk line appeared to begin splitting away from the seam. I reapplied some dicor just to be safe for the time being. Covering the entire length of the roof with tape makes sense...would it hurt to do that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-08-22_14-44-54.png
Views:	93
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	184045  
Old 08-22-2018, 04:50 PM   #47
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
Would applying eternabond tape to the seam on my roof where I now have a caulk bead help avoid problems in the future? The reason I ask is I was cleaning that seam today and noticed a couple of spots where the caulk line appeared to begin splitting away from the seam. I reapplied some dicor just to be safe for the time being. Covering the entire length of the roof with tape makes sense...would it hurt to do that?

Doing that will be fine. I did it to my TT by putting the edge into the gutter and folding it onto the roof so it covers where the screws are for the trim. My trim has the vinyl insert covering the screws and the eternabond stuck to it just like the roof.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:34 PM   #48

How do you remove the self leveler in order to use eternabond? Do you have to remove all the leveler? Some? Or none? In order to use eternabond.
Artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:54 AM   #49
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artspe View Post
How do you remove the self leveler in order to use eternabond? Do you have to remove all the leveler? Some? Or none? In order to use eternabond.
You don't need to remove the self-leveling sealant. The Eternabond will adhere to the self-leveling sealant.

It is best to clean your roof as you normally do. After the roof is dry use a dry scrub brush to knock off any that is crumbling/flaking.

Clean the lap sealant surface and adjoining area that the eternabond will cover with mineral spirits on a rag, then clean mineral spirits residue with de-natured alcohol on a rag. Clean 4 to 6 feet at a time. You don't want the mineral spirits to stay on the roof membrane for long as it may cause it to soften. The mineral spirits may also soften the adhesive used to glue the membrane.

When I did my roof, I scrubbed it on one day and let it dry. The next day I started cleaning the sealant area 8 to 10" wide x 4 to 5' with mineral spirits, cleaned the mineral spirits off with de-natured alcohol then moved along until I had the seams cleaned. Then I went over it again with de-natured alcohol just to be sure it was clean.

I applied the eternabond 3 to 4' sections rolling it down. Once I had all the eternabond down I went over again with the roller. My roof is 8' x 27-1/2'. I started a 8 A.M. and was done by 5:30 P.M. Once you get started it goes pretty quick.

A word of caution! The eternabond tape has a plastic backing you need to pull off as you lay it down. Don't remove too much so that the tape sticks where you don't want it. Once the tape touches anything it's hard to remove. You will find that pulling the plastic backing off 8 to 12" at a time works best.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:51 AM   #50

Wooden spoon survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
^^^^^This^^^^^
Just saw your signature...me too!
Old 09-10-2018, 07:09 AM   #51

New and leaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprise View Post
My Grey Wolf is brand new, awaiting her maiden trip. I visited the roof area during PDI and things looked good wrt roof, seals, caulking, etc. I also got myself a small roll of Eternabond from Amazon for 'accidents' in the near-term.

Sounds like some here are recommending a pre-emptive Eternabond party going down all seams in the trailer (sides, front, back.) But to be honest, I'm leaning toward waiting until out of warranty next year, 'just in case'

Will be giving the roof a ProtectAll treatment before leaving on the first trip, so I could do the seams w/ Eternabond at the same time. I'll also do another clean / treat after Labor Day, btw.

(I mentioned Eternabond to the dealer PDI rep when she was telling me about "Dicor ONLY", and she looked at me like I just arrived from Mars - this from someone who said they had 22yrs exp in a TT, and did supply some good tips for care / maintenance.)

No, I don't need info on the merits of Eternabond - I've seen the testimonials here...LOL.
Yup. We did the pdi roof check on our new 2109s Min-Lite and it looked good. The first rain after getting it home, in May, noticed a rippling in the wallpaper at the ceiling curve, and that signals a leak. It didn't drip through, but got advice from the dealer to use the Dicor along the roof seam. Did that. End of August, on a camping trip, had a heavy rain go through, fresh rippling. Uh oh, more dicor. Nothing looks amiss on the roof though, and all the dicor looks tight and no cracks. We are taking it back in for the dealer to look at it, and even though it's supposed to have a 'bumper to bumper' warranty in the first year, the service advisor said that leaks aren't covered. I think it is awful that we can't expect to get through the first season/month of ownership without leaks. This is our 3rd tt, first one was used and had a leak in the front window frame, which was an easy fix, the other we had for 4yrs without any problem.