Old 12-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #1

Help, siding starting to bulge out!

This past spring my wife and I bought a new 2012 Grey Wolf 21rr. Recently I noticed the siding is bulging our on each side of the trailer. On the entrance side it is above the oven vent and on the opposite side it is above the window. I don't know if it was always like that and I never noticed it or if there is something going wrong. When I press on it, it seems like there might be insulation or something behind it that keeps it from contacting the stringers and laying flat. At any rate it is not solid like the siding on the rest of the trailer. I don't know if I should take it back to the dealer this winter or just wait and see if it gets worse. I did buy the extra year factory warranty that is recommended on this forum. I will try to add a couple of pictures. The bulges do not show well in these pics.

In the first pic, just above the window you will notice the first seam is uniform but the seam above it is spread or opened up over the window.

The second pic you can see the bulge under the awning and above the oven vent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Siding bulging 004.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	22522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Siding bulging 006.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	22523  

Old 12-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'd wait till spring.
Almost looks like siding may have been installed to tight .
The siding needs room to expand and contract with cold and warm temp changes.
Jmo

Turbs

Old 12-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

You post here for opinions.

I think any bulge is a cause for concern. Just because the roof above the bulge looks sound does not mean it is not water damage. Water seeks the path of least resistance as it travels toward the earth. your leak can be at the air conditioner and it can be traveling across the ceiling through a vent duct and down the framing; loosening the siding.

This needs to be checked out sooner; rather than later. I would hate for you to lose your camper due to rot by waiting.
Herk

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #4

Thanks, I will contact my dealer to see if they can look at it and get it fixed in time for spring camping. I never thought about water traveling from the air conditioner. I don't mind the small repairs but this has me worried.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
Thanks, I will contact my dealer to see if they can look at it and get it fixed in time for spring camping. I never thought about water traveling from the air conditioner. I don't mind the small repairs but this has me worried.
Not saying that it IS coming from there; just saying that water leaks may not manifest themselves as damage AT the point of leakage.

For example, just had a leak repaired in my new car. The driver side rear passenger foot well was full of water after a rain. My first thought was a door seal; but after the dealer had it they found the back window had become unsealed and water was traveling down the left rear pillar and settling into the floor pan.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
The sooner the better; plus you just purchased this thing..... I'd have them working on it now; spring will be too late.... they should be jumping to make this right.....and so it's ready in the spring...........
Old 12-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
phat phrog stunt crew

would let them know quickly, so there is a record of problem. this way also it will be known before the warrenty is up and they try to tell you .. sorry.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:45 AM   #8

Don't know where you are in relation to the factory, but if it was mine that's where it would go fast ! Call warranty at Forest River , they are usually very good about these things . They actually want to help ! What better time than now for it to be at the factory ? Jim