Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Bilcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 422
Help with roof sealants

Here are some pictures of my roof with the sealant that appears to be breaking down. This is a 2015 Palomino Puma 32dbks. Should the sealant be breaking down in in three years time? To repair this do I have to remove all of the old sealant or can I clean it and apply the sealant where the holes are starting to form? Also can anyone recommend what type of sealant I would need for my roof? Finally the one picture shows the area where the front cap is connected to the roof . Shouldn't that sealant be across the whole seam ? Thank you for any and all replies.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170523_184548.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	138956Click image for larger version

Name:	20170523_184807.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	138957Click image for larger version

Name:	20170523_185036.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	138958
__________________

__________________
Bill & Cindy McKenna
Philadelphia PA
2015 Palomino Puma 32DBKS
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Stanfordville
Posts: 127
Sure is a breakdown of sealant. I would use Dicor self leveling. I'm fairly certain you can "touch up" the areas as needed and run a bead around the existing sealant. You may be disturbing more than you want by removing all old sealant. Be sure to clean entire roof first, and these specific areas. On the front cap seam, I had a minor leak from one screw head, but it let in a fair amount of water following a slow snow melt. I didn't want to take any further chance, so I ran two strips of 4" eterna bond tape. Yes 8" less overlap. Result completely dry now after two seasons. Others may have more experience to share, that's mine. Hope it helps.
__________________

Poper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:42 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 79
I just installed a secondary vent cover on my 1 year old camper roof and noticed there is a couple holes in the sealant around the factory vent. It appears that there were bubbles in the sealant and the top of the bubble is now cracking. I have a tube of sealant on order so I will have to fix them but I sure learned you better look on your roof no matter how new or old your camper is.
1201alarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:53 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 114
The sealent will clean up with mineral spirits, and then apply new Dicor to cover any holes or gaps. The best option is to then cover all the seams with Eternabond Tape.
PhilG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:23 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Bilcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poper View Post
Sure is a breakdown of sealant. I would use Dicor self leveling. I'm fairly certain you can "touch up" the areas as needed and run a bead around the existing sealant. You may be disturbing more than you want by removing all old sealant. Be sure to clean entire roof first, and these specific areas. On the front cap seam, I had a minor leak from one screw head, but it let in a fair amount of water following a slow snow melt. I didn't want to take any further chance, so I ran two strips of 4" eterna bond tape. Yes 8" less overlap. Result completely dry now after two seasons. Others may have more experience to share, that's mine. Hope it helps.
Thanks, the tape sounds like a great Idea!!
__________________
Bill & Cindy McKenna
Philadelphia PA
2015 Palomino Puma 32DBKS
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:29 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Bilcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1201alarm View Post
I just installed a secondary vent cover on my 1 year old camper roof and noticed there is a couple holes in the sealant around the factory vent. It appears that there were bubbles in the sealant and the top of the bubble is now cracking. I have a tube of sealant on order so I will have to fix them but I sure learned you better look on your roof no matter how new or old your camper is.
Thanks, and I was surprised at the amount of breakdown in just 2 years! I was up on the roof and cleaned it last July and the seams looked great. Can't believe this happened so fast.
__________________
Bill & Cindy McKenna
Philadelphia PA
2015 Palomino Puma 32DBKS
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:31 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Bilcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilG View Post
The sealent will clean up with mineral spirits, and then apply new Dicor to cover any holes or gaps. The best option is to then cover all the seams with Eternabond Tape.
Thank you, I was hoping that I could just fill the holes and not have to remove all the sealant.
__________________
Bill & Cindy McKenna
Philadelphia PA
2015 Palomino Puma 32DBKS
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:24 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 3,050
Quote:
The sealent will clean up with mineral spirits, and then apply new Dicor to cover any holes or gaps. The best option is to then cover all the seams with Eternabond Tape.
X2
__________________
“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” – Mark Twain



2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:10 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Knotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 18
Just remove any loose sealant, clean the area where you are going to apply new sealant and apply Dicor self leveling sealant.
Good idea to check roof at least 2x a year. Never use silicone sealant on the roof .
Knotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 343
Denatured alcohol in lieu of Mineral Spirits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilG View Post
The sealent will clean up with mineral spirits, and then apply new Dicor to cover any holes or gaps. The best option is to then cover all the seams with Eternabond Tape.
I have been using denatured alcohol in lieu of mineral spirits to clean up the roof membrane and sealer before re-sealing on my EDPM roof. It works for me, and it SEEMS to me that it dries more quickly than mineral spirits, and it may be less harmful to the EDPM. Also, the odor and feel are not as noxious to me. I think it was recommended in the first roof repair video that I saw a few years back.

I wonder if someone with more experience or knowledge than me (which should be almost all of you) has any caution or other thoughts about using denatured alcohol in lieu of mineral spirits.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Slow Moon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:20 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Bilcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotter View Post
Just remove any loose sealant, clean the area where you are going to apply new sealant and apply Dicor self leveling sealant.
Good idea to check roof at least 2x a year. Never use silicone sealant on the roof .
Thanks for the information! Appreciate your help
__________________
Bill & Cindy McKenna
Philadelphia PA
2015 Palomino Puma 32DBKS
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:50 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
camaraderie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,262
Question ...is Dicor the best thing to use on both "rubber" and fiberglass roofs or is there something different for fiberglass?
__________________
________
Cam
2015 Georgetown 280DS
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:04 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Knotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 18
I do know you don't want to us any Petrolum base cleaners or solvents on a EDPM or any rubber roof material. Eternabond tape is an excellent repair product for sealing it sticks to most anything except silicone. I carry a roll with me all the time. A little pricey but well worth having around.
Knotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:04 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 269
Check out Mark Polks Education 101 web site.
He is an expert on all repairs of RVs and his e mail magazine is an excellent read to subscribe to .


Brandon2
2014 2500TS
Sun Seeker.
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:56 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,770
Last year when I decided I wanted to cover all the screw heads on the Sunseeker roof I could not find Dicor,,, I went to Menards and found a chalk called Duck Patch,,, it seams to be be holding up Very well,,, I also used it on a couple of very small cracks in the old Dicor,,, it has stuck Very Well !!! It is White !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Bilcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Last year when I decided I wanted to cover all the screw heads on the Sunseeker roof I could not find Dicor,,, I went to Menards and found a chalk called Duck Patch,,, it seams to be be holding up Very well,,, I also used it on a couple of very small cracks in the old Dicor,,, it has stuck Very Well !!! It is White !!!
Thanks, it looks like Dicor is special order at Wal-Mart. I will be passing a few RV dealers and parts stores on my way to the Jersy Shore today, hopefully one of them has Dicor or an equivalent instock.
__________________
Bill & Cindy McKenna
Philadelphia PA
2015 Palomino Puma 32DBKS
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:23 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Knotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 18
Most RV dealers in my area stock Dicor in white or tan. I have also ordered it through Ebay
Knotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:55 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcin View Post
Thanks, it looks like Dicor is special order at Wal-Mart. I will be passing a few RV dealers and parts stores on my way to the Jersy Shore today, hopefully one of them has Dicor or an equivalent instock.
I am sure they will,,, unless they would be sold out !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:41 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Bilcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 422
Thanks for everyone's replies! Very helpful.
__________________

__________________
Bill & Cindy McKenna
Philadelphia PA
2015 Palomino Puma 32DBKS
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
roo, roof, seal

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 PM.


×