Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2016, 08:42 PM   #1

How to repair pop up roof... Pic

I recently bought a 2007 Flagstaff 208 pop up treailer. Everything is is in great order except one of the plastic corner caps had become cracked and allowed water to seep in and rott the wood board on the rear of the trailer top. Half of the board which is 68 inches wide needs to be replaced. The board seems to be glued to the fiberglass/plastic roof.

How can I separate the wood from the roof material without destroying the roof cap? I thought about trying a heat gun, but don't want to melt the material.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Donald
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	100343  
DonaldTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:45 PM   #2

Pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	393.0 KB
ID:	100346  
Old 02-25-2016, 10:06 AM   #3

I had a similar problem but with the sideboard (vent leaked). Some of the covering was already loose due to the amount of rot. The rest I removed with a Rockwell oscillating tool and wide scraper blade. It worked quickly and no damage to the skin. It was also helpful to remove the remaining debris from the skin. If you have that much rot on the end cap, check the side board. If the bolts that hold the lift arms look "sunken" or crooked when lifted you might have a problem there also. I was intimidated at first but did some research on this and other sites. Repair went pretty smoothly. Good luck and take your time.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabranch47 View Post
I had a similar problem but with the sideboard (vent leaked). Some of the covering was already loose due to the amount of rot. The rest I removed with a Rockwell oscillating tool and wide scraper blade. It worked quickly and no damage to the skin. It was also helpful to remove the remaining debris from the skin. If you have that much rot on the end cap, check the side board. If the bolts that hold the lift arms look "sunken" or crooked when lifted you might have a problem there also. I was intimidated at first but did some research on this and other sites. Repair went pretty smoothly. Good luck and take your time.
Most excellent, I had not thought of using one of those and have been looking for a reason to buy one.

The sides seem to be perfectly fine.

I was also considering building it up with fiberglass patches and resin.

Thanks for responding.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:08 PM   #5

Roof

Had a similar problem many years ago and found that building up the area inside with fiberglass worked like a charm.

Russ
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pop up, repair, roo, roof