Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2015, 07:19 AM   #1

How to work Eternabond tape.

So I got the Eternabond in the mail yesterday and I did not know it was unlike a roll of duck tape. It has a film over the glue side of the tape. I am now very confused on how I am going to do this.

My plan was to run one continuous strip of tape along the side edges of my pop up. But the way it looks, one is better off working with this stuff in small strips under a couple of feet. I did not want a patchwork type of result. I am thinking one strip would look much cleaner.

Any recommendations on how to use this stuff? Is there a way to strip off the film as you unroll it? Has anyone done this before?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:24 AM   #2

Yes, stripping the film back as you lay it down is the way it is supposed to be done (2-3 feet at a time). You can lay it as long a length as necessary and then roll it to secure in place. There are numerous instruction videos on line showing how to apply eternabond.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:51 AM   #3

The Prep Work is VERY important! As well as keeping the Tape (Strait and Smooth)! A Helper is Very handy,someone to yell at and Blame for the Wrinkles! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:44 AM   #4

I rolled the length I wanted and cut it. Peeled the cover off as I put it down. As said surface prep is very important and rolling with pressure to get to stick and stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:01 PM   #5

Google and YouTube are both pretty good resources....

Bob
Baxters Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:42 PM   #6

Previously some one posted to prep with ascetone which is cheaper than Ethnabond's prep product. Any truth to this?
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. It actually went pretty well today. I was able to pull the film back in short segments as I worked the tape onto the roof (just like bubbles says). I also like the fact that the tape is a bit rubbery which allows it to stretch a bit.

I am a little disappointed that the tape bleeds glue out the sides a bit. I do think it is a great product though. I am hopeful it will stop any leaks from starting.

I used the acetone to clean the surface. The instructions with the tape list this as an acceptable cleaner.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:53 PM   #8

During a conversation with one of Eternabond's tech people last year I was told to use denatured alcohol for prepping before using Eternabond. That worked real well.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:55 AM   #9

I use Tec solve hasn't let go of our old Teton yet aka the daughters new used trailer.

Tags
eternabond