Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2016, 06:23 PM   #1

I had a lot of ants visit this weekend, how do I get rid of them?

I feel that there is an ant nest on the tt . I used traps and more traps and Sprays but still I see ants. Anyone have an issue like this and found a solution ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post
I feel that there is an ant nest on the tt . I used traps and more traps and Sprays but still I see ants. Anyone have an issue like this and found a solution ??

Move.

Really, I'm serious.

The worst thing you can do is when you 1st see an ant inside is to not kill it. Because if you don't, he will go tell his friends how nice it is inside and they will all come in. Spray outside everything that comes in contact with the camper to the ground; stabs, tongue jack, water hose, power cord, awning tie downs, tires, etc. I also think that ants fall out of trees too and land on the roof of the camper. I've also heard that wiping a 1-2" coat of Vaseline around the power cord and water hose would help(ants won't cross). Boric Acid sprinkled around all the contact points works too. Watch out for ant beds and cracks/crevices where they frequent. Spray or sprinkle ant granules around.

This is to keep them out. What to do once they are there? Well, stop them outside and keep killing inside and keep food items sealed and wiped clean. Make it less inviting and they will leave.

If that doesn't work, move.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #3

A few campgrounds we stay at will warn you of ants. Laura Walker SP near Waycross GA has a king nest of black ants. We usually spray the outside mat, the wheel and jacks along with the water and electric connection at set up. We respray every 2 days to keep them out and away from our area.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #4

Quote:

What kind of ants, I hope that they are not carpenter ants?
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:03 PM   #5

I had a battle with carpenter ants. They set up a satellite colony in my wall above my hot water heater.

Now we got them fairly quickly so no damage and we keep an eye out every year as there are carpenter ants all over the woods so we have to be vigilant.

In fighting them and researching ants you have to have a good idea what ants you are dealing with. If they are the small sugar ants that is one tactic but carpenter ants wont be killed by conventional store sprays and definitely not the traps.

There are two very good commercial quality type baits that kill the entire colony and each sort of goes after the food or liquid the carpenter ants seek. This stuff works..takes ten days or so to kill a colony but I wiped out several colonies...one satellite in the 5ver and two in the surrounding oaks.

I will find the link to the website...read it carefully...identify the ants and then spare no expense or mercy.

If they are carpenter ants then go outside at night with a flashlight and find the trail. They won't be out in the day. Bait the trails.

If it is small sugar ants then the same website has baits for them also.

I wiped out the carpenter ants with this...http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.co...-gel-optiguard

Here is the rest of their baits for other ants as well as more carpenter ant stuff. I can't treat like I would at a house so some stuff would not be feasible..but the baits are good...
http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.co...ntrol-products
http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.co...r-ant-bait-gel
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:21 PM   #6

I don't think they're carpenters since they're out all day long and the best way to describe is big and black

Old 05-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #7

Carpenter ants are big and black....I should correct myself though...they will be out during the day but usually at night you will find a clear trail as they are most active at night.
You have to go around say after 10:00 pm and look with a flashlight for trails.

But they could be another species for sure...look at they website I sent..this stuff wipes out ants. The stuff in the store just...well does nothing usually. Kills what you see not whats in your walls. You just don't want to be wrong and get a colony in your walls. A carpenter ant nest wiped out the rear of one of our seasonals 5vers. Granted he was a tardo too and just ignored the constant ant problem.

Whatever you do DO NOT use an ant repellent...!!
Old 05-30-2016, 08:32 PM   #8

What are the large black ones with wings?
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:38 PM   #9

Usually winged carpenter ants. This is the reproductive state of the ants in spring. If I remember correctly both males and females have wings and mate in the air...then the wings fall off..then they look for a nesting site.

They do not eat wood but like damp location for a nest. Oddly they like Styrofoam insulation real well. That is in some articles but this is what they chewed up in mine...the insulation around the hot water heater and some rigid in the nearby wall.

IIRC they chew up the material to create the nests....so if they are in your walls then usually there is moisture in there already. But not 100% of the time is this true...again the odd foam insulation thing.

I did not have moisture..the darn things nested in the rigid foam. So I think they go for soft easy to shred materials like dry rot wood and rigid foam insulation.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:19 PM   #10

What about these ? They have them at menards. Any good ?

Old 05-30-2016, 11:26 PM   #11

I keep a bag of ant granules and during summer camping, if I'm going to be anywhere for a few days, I toss a 1/4 cup at the base of each frame jack, tongue jack, tires, power cord and water line where they come in contact with the ground.
MacGumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:16 AM   #12

If you are concerned about safety for kids or pets, try cinnamon.
They will curl up and die!
rwatson908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:43 AM   #13

Down South, we have problems with fireants as well as the sugar, tree, and big black ants. I have used the bait trays to get rid of the sugar and carpenter ants, but if you want to get rid of the fire ants and have a bit of cruel fun, take a shovel and dig a big scoop out of one fire ant hill and dig a big scoop out of another fire ant hill, switch the shovel full of ant mounds, and watch the little buggers kill each other. Just be careful not to let them get to you in the process.

Definitely works around the house to kill off the mounds!

In all seriousness, I think the bait trays are the best for eliminating the whole colony from your camper. I smash the ants I see and put the bait trays in the cabinets where the food is stored. They do their work while the camper is parked between trips. The last infestation I endured was due to the park's poer pedestal being a part of an ant mound. The little buggers followed the hose and electric cable right into the TT and made themselves right at home. I didn't see any until we were unpacking back at home, so I installed several bait trays in the storage compartments and in the pantry. No ants next time!

Good camping! ............. Swampy
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:04 PM   #14

Quote:

What about these ? They have them at menards. Any good ?

Yeah I'm gonna try the bait trays , going with these and I'm loading it up

Old 05-31-2016, 12:51 PM   #15

I had ants one time and the people at the campground gave me (dry grits) sprinkled around tt and they were gone in no time .
DonMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:12 PM   #16

Scratching quietly here. And (for once) thanking our Northern Ontario winters. Nothing survives those. Good luck!

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMar View Post
I had ants one time and the people at the campground gave me (dry grits) sprinkled around tt and they were gone in no time .
Be careful with the grits! It will draw in roaches. For my Canadian friends, that's la Roach, Pierre.

You may find a pile of exploded ant bodies, too. Grits works by being ingested and the moisture in their little ant bodies causes the grits to swell up beyond what their little shells can hold .... much like what rice in a radiator would do!Hey, just because it's natural doesn't mean it isn't cruel!Swampy
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:32 PM   #18

I had ants get in while in Florida this winter. Lots of small ant hills around the site. They were climbing up a broom I had leaning against the coach and entering around the slide. I sprayed that area, removed the broom, placed ant traps inside, went to Home Depot for ant hill killer and Home Defense spray. I treated the ant hills (probably near a hundred little ones) and others as they appeared throughout the winter. I sprayed the Home Defense around everything touching the ground. Never saw another ant inside.
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Yeah I'm gonna try the bait trays , going with these and I'm loading it up

What a coincidence! I just came in from placing the outdoor version of the Terro ant baits on a huge nest in my back yard. I have been using both the indoor and outdoor terror baits for years with great success. Just be patient while the little buggers come to the baits to eat and bring it back to the nest. You should be ant free in a few days. Best of luck.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
SS Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:21 PM   #20

Quote:
I don't think they're carpenters since they're out all day long and the best way to describe is big and black

Sounds like carpenters which is usually a sign of a moist area in the walls. They like wet, decaying stuff. (Like that rear wall, did you see any during the repair?)
Bait the heck out them with the bait trays, hope you get em.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote