Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #1

If Eternabond is so good why don't factories use it?

I'v been reading a lot of threads on Eternabond and thinking about using it on my 5th wheel to cover the factory seals which after just a year look like crap, the eternabond looks so neater, I was wondering why factories dont use it?
rohlingerrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Just speculating here, but it is probably cost. Plus, if they have to remove something on the roof because of warranty work, then caulk is easier to remove....Eternabond is hard to remove once it bonds. That is 1 reason that I still have not gone to Eternabond.........what happens if I have to replace a roof or tank vent ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #3

I asked Brandon York at Prime Time that very question. He gave several reasons. One being they feel if cared for properly the dicor is just as effective as eternabond. Also the dicor is easier to spot problem areas and fix than eternabond tape.
Another point he made was, if you needed to replace a vent or sky light the eternabond isn't easy to remove and you have to be careful so that you don't damage the roof. He also stated that if they felt eternabond was better, they would use it.

I asked the sevice manager at my dealership the same without telling him that I had talked to Prime Time about it. He gave the same answers as Prime Time. He added that he had seen several units come in with the eternabond curling at the edges after 2 or 3 years.

So, neither Prime Time or my dealership recommended enternabond.

So all of you eternabond users, please don't balst me. I'm just repeating what I was told by two individuals.

I do have a hard time believing that you can put etenabond tape on your roof and virtually not worry about it for several years (I have read where some people claim this). I just don't believe in "miracle cures."
Okay, you guys can blast me on those last statements.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #4

My wife's response is why do I care what the roof looks like?? LOL,she says its bad enough that I have OCD about the apperance of my camper but now Im worried how the roof looks????
Old 07-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #5

Here's what mine looked like after I used Protect All Rubber Roof Treatment.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
here's what mine looked like after i used protect all rubber roof treatment.

show off
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #7

I just want you to know, that picture is what made me take a look at my roof! but I notice no eternabond! Are you thinking about using it?
Old 07-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohlingerrv View Post
I just want you to know, that picture is what made me take a look at my roof! but I notice no eternabond! Are you thinking about using it?
I haven't decided yet. If I do it will be after my warranty is up since my manufacturer suggested against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
show off
Guilty as charged!
I wasn't going to do that much work and have such nice results without showing it off!
Old 07-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #9

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
They don't use because it's expensive compared to Dicor sealent, And the main reason is that its not production line friendly. Its time consuming to apply and the surface has to be silicone free. So all surfaces have to be prepared,before the tape is applied. My Rockwood Windjammer has Eternabond on the slides. Some dealer's will apply Eternabond to the roof seams if you ask...for a fee (labor cost per hour). RVW will put it on if you ask on a new order, If you give them the time to do it. When my camper came in, they would have had it an extra week after dilivery to apply the tape. (decided to do it myself)--- OK, Not really bashing you, But what manufacture is going to tell you to use a after-market product. As if the product they are using is sub-standard. And as you say It's hard to take off. So if they have to do warrenty work, it is hard for them to remove, so why on earth would they recommend using a product that first makes it sound like there product is bad and second it IS hard to get off. So the dealer's (probubly the main reason here) would complain that the Eternabond is too hard of a material to remove for a cost effective way to do repair warranty work involving the seams or anything on the roof. They (dealer's)are also on time constraints doing warranty work. There you have it! -- I for one used it in all the seams! I did also did have it roll up on the edges, but I admitted I didn't spend much time cleaning the surface before applying. I asked Eternabond about the rolled edges and they asked me if I had used the solvent based cleaner before applying and rolled the edges with there roller or a roller and I said "No", they were still nice enough after looking at my order to not only replace all the tape I used, they sent me 4-cans of there cleaner & a roller. I had to get the tape off. It's a pain in the butt, let me tell you. I had to use a hair-dryer to heat the tape up first(Per directions from Eternabond Company) then peal it off,then clean up the residue. That's why no manufacture in there right mind would tell you to put it on !!! But that said " The stuff works, Its guaranteed for 20 years." PS- You might want to put some DICOR self-leveling sealant around your sky-light it looks as if it could use some -- Just a thought !!

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #10

Didn't take your reply as bashing me and you made very good points. As I stated in my earlier post, I was just passing on what i was told.

Good to see that they took care of you. It's always nice to read when companies take care of their customers.

About the skylight, Lou suggested the same when he saw the pic. I inspected all areas, including the skylight, and it all looked good to me. Now you guys are making me second guess myself. I'll have to go back and double check myself.

After a rain or after washing, I do go inside and check for leaks. I haven't notice any. Still gonna double check though.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #11

I have to agree with BigRed on this one.
Time is a huge issue in manufacturing.
Did you happen to see the video that was floating around for a while where they showed how fast they put a trailer together?
It was amazing to watch.
No wonder things get missed at the factory.
They caulked the roof in nothing flat.
It would take 10-15 times longer to tape it.

I put the tape over the cap seams on my rig.
Kind of a belt and suspenders thing.
We will see how the tape holds up.

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #12

Yeah, I can see that the time it would take to apply during manufacturing would be a big factor compared to applying Dicor. Cost of materials shouldn't be much extra since they would be buying in huge quantities.

As far as the extra time it would take dealerships to repair. Well they're already dealing with that on units where people have applied it themselves. They just add the extra time to the bill. I'm sure warranty work would be adjusted as well.

Again I'll point out that Brandon York said if they thought it was better way to go, they would do it. He hasn't steered me wrong so far, so I have to give him the benifit of the doubt.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to say Eternabond isn't any good. There is always two sides to a coin and I'm just taking a look at both sides.

Tags
eternabond