Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hclarkx View Post
Why get on the roof to clean off the tops of the slide-outs? A telescoping pole with an old terry cloth towel fastened to it works great. Just drag it back and fort from the ground. Dip it in soapy water if you want to wash the SO roofing. Hose off to rinse. As others have pointed out, getting from a rear ladder onto the roof is risky business unless you are young and not very tall. I use mine only as a mount my outside cell antenna.
I get on the roof for several reasons:
1. Wash EPDM every couple months (greatly extends roof life)
2. Service and clean AC units
3. Inspect roof for potential leak areas (Need I say more)
4. Sweep off slide outs because we usually camp in State Campgrounds surrounded by all those lovely trees and the debris will wreck the slide out seals.

As you can see, I have no problem climbing onto the roof. Those of you who are more timid souls should probably keep your feet firmly on the ground
Old 08-12-2018, 12:54 PM   #42

I'm convinced. I need a telescoping ladder.

Which one is the next question.

Recommendations?
Old 08-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #43

Found a used Metaltech for $70, thanks everyone!
JoshuaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:06 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
I'm convinced. I need a telescoping ladder.

Which one is the next question.

Recommendations?
Depends on RV roof height, account for angling ladder and safe last rung you can step on (not top). There's a lot of brands out there, the Metaltech I have is solid, all the retractor clips/locks work well even though it's used.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:20 PM   #45

If you have a harbor freight store nearby. They carry one of those combination ladders. Its like those little giant ones
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:53 PM   #46

This is the one I have...been happy so far
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-08-12-13-52-43.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	183016
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaddDez View Post
I clean and wax my roof. This absolutely would not work. I can't even see the top of my class C since it is 11'+ high. might be good idea for a popup.

Sorry, I thought we were talking about slide-outs. The top of my slide-outs are only about 10 or 11 feet (rig is 12-9) so are easily reached from the ground with a telescoping pole.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:25 PM   #48

There's another thread about blowing off the slide. I researched and saw that those awnings have problems so I might pickup up a cordless blower, quick debris clearout job at the end of the trip before sliding it back in.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:59 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaA View Post
There's another thread about blowing off the slide. I researched and saw that those awnings have problems so I might pickup up a cordless blower, quick debris clearout job at the end of the trip before sliding it back in.

A blower plus some parts from this kit might work well. This kit is a bit of a kludge but does work with some finesse. Certainly would keep you safe on the ground.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:39 PM   #50

J thought about getting some ??3" light weight PVC pipe and a 90 before I got my toppers and use an electric blower to blow off the slides.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:34 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hclarkx View Post
A blower plus some parts from this kit might work well. This kit is a bit of a kludge but does work with some finesse. Certainly would keep you safe on the ground.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Great idea but I don’t mind being up there to visually see it’s clear. It’s a requirement when I do caulking, slider conditioner maintenance along the top trim a few times a year, and to check general roof integrity. I’m a fit light guy, it’s no big deal. I’ll still pickup a cordless blower, I see them for <$40 used, and I have a bunch of tool batteries.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:02 PM   #52
Crookedread

I use a Slide Dryer to get all of the stuff off of my slide out roof. No ladders, climbing on the roof. Roundbutte.com
crookedread is offline   Reply With Quote