Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2018, 10:01 AM   #1

Install RV ladder or store a telescoping ladder?

Been mulling about this decision. Seems the RV ladder is a safer convenient way to get on the roof. A tele ladder can be moved around the RV whether you need to be on the roof or just get at something high at the front/side, may need a spotter. Can also be taken home to use.
JoshuaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:13 AM   #2

To mount a rear ladder you'll need to know where the in wall supports are. IMHO while a rear mounted ladder is great to have the tele ladder would offer the flexibility you mention.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:18 AM   #3

I wouldn't call the ladders they put on rv-s safe, they are ok for occasional roof inspections but not much else. I'm 6'3" 210# and I tread very lightly when using this ladder, on a previous trailer a neighbor - admittedly a heavy set guy - put his foot on the bottom rung and it snapped right off. I suggest you invest in a collapsible or telescoping ladder for safety and versatility.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:37 AM   #4

I'd probably need to go up there to sweep/blow the sideout at the end of every trip before bringing it in, not interested in those SO awnings. And every so often apply SO protector on the top piece, check around the A/C, bathroom vent for re-caulking etc.

The last few times I did a pullup off my DiamondBack truck cover but I'm not always going to be in that agile mood lol
JoshuaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:41 AM   #5
Lets go camping!

i bought a ladder to attach to the back of my camper, unfortunately FR didnt add the support bracket till 2015. so i wasted 150 on that. then i had to buy a collapsible ladder. which seems to work out better because i can access all sides of the trailer for cleaning and waxing. i bought the ladder off amazon for $75, but i think the normal price is $100 now. its a wolfwise en131 12ft ladder.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #6

We had same issue. We have 3 slodeoits and want access to clean them upon departure at each campground. While forest river said there is backing support we felt the cost to have one installed and create new holes in trailer would not be worth it. We purchased this telescope on amazon. LOVE IT! Easy storage and carrying case. Great for more then just trailer too!
Idealchoiceproduct 12.5FT Aluminium Telescopic Telescoping Ladder Extension Steps
DeborahL24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #7

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahL24 View Post
We had same issue. We have 3 slodeoits and want access to clean them upon departure at each campground. While forest river said there is backing support we felt the cost to have one installed and create new holes in trailer would not be worth it. We purchased this telescope on amazon. LOVE IT! Easy storage and carrying case. Great for more then just trailer too!
Idealchoiceproduct 12.5FT Aluminium Telescopic Telescoping Ladder Extension Steps
Lucky you, I have no slodeoits on my Motorhome and you have three. Come to think of it, I have no idea what that is.....
bobm253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:35 PM   #8

RV ladder vs telescoping/folding

We have a ladder mounted to our RV, but I find it less than ideal. Getting onto or off of the ladder at the top is problematic for these old bones. The little giant ladder works out best for me.
RV - 2018 Open Range 2804RK
getzold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:39 PM   #9

Another thing that most people don't think about is that the mounted rv ladders go STRAIT UP. It makes it very awkward to carry anything up with you. A retractable ladder being angled is much easier to tote items up.
Artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #10

seems to be a lot of negatives about an "installed" ladder, but there are certainly some positives as well , ...

1) don't have to find a special place to store/carry it,
2) it's always ready for use, don't have to un-store it when u need or want to get on the roof,
3) mine is extremely stable/sturdy and I have no hesitation about going up or down it,
4) comes in handy in other ways than just being a ladder, ... there are hangers that allow you to hang lawn chairs and other similar stuff off it, ... some folks hang their portable sewer wagon off of theirs, ... here on the forum, folks have posted pics of hanging their drying racks(some of clever homemade ideas) off their ladder, ... I have attached spring clips to ours and its ideal for holding the extension pole for our aftermarket tv antenna, ... more recently I've also attached spring clips to the other side to hold another extension pole for a cell signal antenna, ... and I'm sure there are other ways an "installed" ladder rates a thumbs up, ... it ain't all bad, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #11

I've been using my extendable ladder for 10 years now and for me this is the only way to go if you don't have a factory installed one. Who needs more holes?
Epat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #12

I want slodeoits..... They sound really cool ! Wish I had said that.
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:49 PM   #13

We have a telescoping ladder which works very well for most things and stores easily in our storage area. We have had it for 2 years now. Our RV came without a ladder.
Marcia Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #14

If it was meant to have a ladder one would have been there. Buy a folding telescopic ladders.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #15

I was told by my RV salesperson that my specific Salem did not have a ladder because we were not supposed to walk on the roof.
So I purchased one of those letters that you're talking about on groupon for $75 it works great I use at home and with my camper to clean off the slides before bringing them in
cristofer.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:38 PM   #16
Site Team

Just so you know, I'm 200lbs and have been up and down three different rear laters many, many times since 2010. Widlcat 5th wheel, Rockwood ultralight 5th wheel, and now a class C motor home. Never felt uneasy if unsafe. I ven replaced one mysekf on the Rockwood after it lost a battle with a rr crossing arm. Rock solid. Just my experience offered to help you decide.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:31 PM   #17

Just my opinion, but I have and use a telescoping ladder and love it. I've been on some of those RV ladders, and at 230 lbs, I just didn't feel all that secure.

2000 Forest River Wildwood Lite
2006 Ford F250 Lariat Diesel 4x4
GAGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:35 PM   #18
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artspe View Post
Another thing that most people don't think about is that the mounted rv ladders go STRAIT UP. It makes it very awkward to carry anything up with you. A retractable ladder being angled is much easier to tote items up.
This. It is a huge drawback to a mounted ladder.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:56 PM   #19

Have a telescopic ladder. Can't believe how functional and useful it is for roof maintenance.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:36 PM   #20
Senior

Wish I bought a telescoping ladder instead. My motorhome came with a ladder and when I bought it I thought all I might need would be something small to reach the top of the sides when waxing so I bought a 3 step folding ladder. It worked sort of OK but I couldn't reach the middle of the front cap. Also my arthritic old joints do not go up and down the fixed ladder on the back easily.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote