Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
CampMaster

Installing a Roof Vent

Hello all. I recently bought a 2012 Flagstaff 206LTD. It had an AC roof unit installed when I bought it which, I'm assuming, was installed where the original roof vent was. I would like to have a roof vent/skylight that I can leave cracked when the unit is in storage to help with venting any moisture that may accumulate.

So, my question is, what problems could I be looking at if I want to do this myself? I'm not new to power tools and I've been blessed with a good deal of common sense - I just don't want to screw anything up!

Thanks in advance.
Hammer
Hammer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
Dallas Texas

It it were mine I'd find out where (location) the optional roof vents can be installed. From what I've read they have those sections prepared foe that purpose. Otherwise, you need to stay clear of the AC ducting, wiring, and rafters.

Maybe someone on here has already installed one that can help you. Be sure to check YouTube.

Good luck.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
Explorer

I’ll be watching this post; I also want to install a fan(FantasticFan) where none exists now.
My plan is to locate it on the edge of a rafter for strength and near a 12v light fixture for power. It should be simple enough but any time I think about putting a hole in the roof it makes me nerves. I am going to replace my bathroom stock vent with the Fantastic as well so I will start there and see how the factory does/did it(extra framing, wire size, insolation…). I also plan to put the running covers on too for better rain protection.
I am waiting for my budget to allow for the expense and the time to get it done.
If you get it done first post some pics please
John
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #4

X2 on what TexasBBQ said, check with the mfg to see it your unit was prefab'd for a vent. Our friends bought a new Infinity last year and wanted to install a Fantastic Fan in the kitchen and thought they would have to cut an opening thru the ceiling/roof but they found out the frame-work was already there along with a wiring channel
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
CampMaster

So I finally got around to calling Forest River and found out that the previous owner of my pup installed the AC unit in the WRONG PLACE!! I guess that explains the slight sag in my roof. FR told me that there should be a small screw somewhere in the ceiling that denotes the location to be cut out for the AC and that there is framing and supports already in my roof. Thanks for the suggestion TexasBBQ & Sirsea.

So I guess I'm going to spend my weekend moving the AC and (re)install a ceiling vent.
Hammer77 is offline   Reply With Quote