Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #1

Insulation questions

I'm trying to buy a TT, and I'm having trouble determining what is in the walls. Is it just vac lamininated layers in most of the FR travel trailers?

The vac laminating is presented by the salespeople as insulation, but of course it isn't. Some have a heated undercarriage, but that's a different issue.

I really can't afford something like an Arctic Fox, and I don't have a TV to pull the weight, but I need to dry camp in fairly cold and hot areas.

Some Flagstaffs' have a few inches of foam. Some of the brochures say the walls are R-7 without a thick foam layer, which seems unlikely.

Can anyone wise me up on the truth of this? Is there a way to find out which FRs have the 2 inch or greater foam?
woozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy View Post
I'm trying to buy a TT, and I'm having trouble determining what is in the walls. Is it just vac lamininated layers in most of the FR travel trailers?

The vac laminating is presented by the salespeople as insulation, but of course it isn't. Some have a heated undercarriage, but that's a different issue.

I really can't afford something like an Arctic Fox, and I don't have a TV to pull the weight, but I need to dry camp in fairly cold and hot areas.

Some Flagstaffs' have a few inches of foam. Some of the brochures say the walls are R-7 without a thick foam layer, which seems unlikely.

Can anyone wise me up on the truth of this? Is there a way to find out which FRs have the 2 inch or greater foam?
All Rockwood/Flagstaff walls are 2" thick. About 1/8" lam outside and inside the center is kinda of a popcorn white insulation. As far as the R rating I can not tell you. The walls are lam and compressed, most do not have studs it's composite. That is my understanding.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #3

Excellent. 2" of foam is probably best-case scenario. AND the salesman told me the truth!

Does anyone know of other FRs that have this?
Old 10-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
Professional Curmudgeon

When you say "Forest River" do you mean just Forest River, or all the brands under the FR umbrella? And when you say walls, I'm assuming you mean external walls, not the hollow interior walls.
My Coachmen Catalina has R-7 fiberglass batting insulation in sidewalls, roof, and floor; per the Features Tab on the manufacturer's website: Features - Catalina - Coachmen RV
The Forest River Cherokee TT advertises R7 fiberglass insulation and up to an R13 with residential roof insulation on the Forest River website.
The easiest thing to do is look at the manufacturer's website, read the features, and download the brochures for each model you are interested in.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #5

Here is an example for our Flagstaff 832IKBS TT: Walls, R7; Floor, R12; Ceiling, R14. Most of the sales brochures list the R values for various models.

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #6

All of the FR brands. The better quality brands seem to have better external wall insulation, and some of them have a package with thermal windows and different insulation. I'd be happy with the R-7 that actually includes real batting or foam.

I'm confused since the brochures on some trailers state values that make no sense. I'm in commercial construction, and we wouldn't be building double-stud walls if a little sheet actually accomplished the same thing.

There is a great deal of exaggeration in the insulation/reflective barrier/foam sheeting industry.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #7

R-7 seem to be the norm for most TTs and fivers side walls and the roof at R12 or R14. You must move up to higher price units to get better. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #8

The foam thickness in my 233S is more like an inch a half. I just recently cut in a new compartment door for extra storage and cut through all layers quite easily with a jigsaw.

The foam is not loose at all and the cut out panel stayed as one piece. I examined all the edges and there were no voids in the lamination at all.
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #9

What really got me thinking about this: I saw an FR trailer on a lot that had a large hatch open to the back bunks. It was literally a thin piece of laminate covering a huge void in the trailer. So cheesy and crappy! The same for the outdoor kitchens.

Since heat seeks cold, and seeks the weakest area, and even a tiny hole will suck heat out or vice-versa, Then what does a 4 foot hole do?

Hey, if ya wanna freeze or fry something, at least don't make it your kid!

Tags
insulation