Old 07-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #1

Interior Pimples in Wall Paper

We noticed bumps, a couple of nickel size and a bunch smaller sized right over the slideout in our wall paper. No delamination on the outside and they seem to be the correct hight for the slide topper rail on the outside. You can see daylight between the fastener when you look up the side of the camper. The screw heads are covered(are under) by the awning fabric so I guess I will clean the entire length of the rail and then caulk it. Anyone know what is behind the rail to keep moisture out? If it is not from there then it has to be my roof and gutter interface. Does the roof and gutter interface need to be Dicor? I can't see it until I get home and can only think about it while camping.

jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #2

These pimples could be caused by water inside the walls. The styrofoam insulation will develop these bumps when wet. It will also swell, which is hard to see. If you run the palm of your hand over the wall you will be able to feel the swelling.
The slideout is a common area for delamination. Keep a close eye on it. You may want to take it to your dealer to have them check it out. At least they could take pictures and document everything.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2019 Nights Camped - 3
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #3

I have to wonder if some of these bubbling issues on the inside might not be due to a moisture buildup from the inside. Our regular activities such as cooking and bathing give off a lot of moisture, and if the camper is not well-ventilated at all times, it could lead up to a buildup of moisture in the walls, and that could easily cause the bubbling.
Just a thought.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:00 AM   #4

It would be a great idea if you could post some pic of your problem, in my 8314ss i have all shapes and sizes i would like to see if you have a different design. I have posted these before, the ones over the slide out developed last year they were hard to the touch at that time but now they are soft and can be pushed back in but the paper is loose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	another shot.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	6673   Click image for larger version

Name:	back wall of an 8314 ss.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	6674   Click image for larger version

Name:	black under wall paper.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	6675   Click image for larger version

Name:	bubbles under wall paper.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	6676   Click image for larger version

Name:	more bubbles.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	6677  

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

What year is your rig?

This is normally a "back to the factory" repair. They have all the tools and expertise to fix this like new for the least amount of money. Get it done under warranty if possible, but get it done before your rig needs to be scrapped for parts.

IMPORTANT! FIND THAT LEAK. It may not be right over the slide. Water can run down the roof seam from the leak location and enter where it can "puddle" under the roof material.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #6

My unit is an 08. The spots start 3+ inches down from the inside ceiling (roof thickness with ducted air at least 3"- 4"). The rail holding the slide out topper is 6" down from the roof surface. When I climbed up on a ladder and looked down on the rail, there was a visible gap from the rail to the camper for the first two screws and then there was the sticky sealant the remaining length of of the rail. These are is both correct in location and height of the interior bumps. The closest roof item is the TV antena. It is center of the trailer and forward of the slide. The slide topper was a dealer installed item. I cleaned and caulked the entire length of the rail. I'm almost positive it was coming around the screw holes. I had the same issue with the rail for the grill on the other side and I was left with a small delam area around one of the screws. I'm going to watch the area for a while and then think about fixing the wall board. Since it is over the slide I only have one 4' by ~8" piece of wall board that is an issue. I have a piece larger than that under the front storage area. I need to try to find the tape that covers the seams.
jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
The slide topper was a dealer installed item. I cleaned and caulked the entire length of the rail. I'm almost positive it was coming around the screw holes. I had the same issue with the rail for the grill on the other side and I was left with a small delam area around one of the screws. I'm going to watch the area for a while and then think about fixing the wall board. Since it is over the slide I only have one 4' by ~8" piece of wall board that is an issue. I have a piece larger than that under the front storage area. I need to try to find the tape that covers the seams.
I think you are right on. The dealer must have missed the aluminum tubing when they installed the rail. The topper's tension pulled the screws out over time and let water in. Good luck getting the dealer to take responsibility though.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #8

I bought a moisture meter. I had a leak and used the meter to determine if I had repaired the leak. As the wall dried the meter reading went down. If it dad stayed the same or went up I knew I had more work to do.
http://www.amazon.com/Sonin-50215-Mo.../dp/B000N23PCK

jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote