Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2008, 11:33 PM   #1
2x Forest River Owner

Keeping Ice Off Of The Slideout Roof??

Hi all,

We're determined to use our camper all year long. Here in So Cal, we can hit the beach, the desert, or the mountains all within a few hours.

Last weekend we went to the mountains and got snowed on. We fully expected this and were happy when it happened. The camper was nice and comfy inside and it was the first time my 3 year old got to see it snow, and the first time he got to play in it. This is what we woke up to our 2nd morning:

The temps never got back above freezing before we left (there was a HUGE storm inbound that dumped a few feet of snow, we didn't want to get stuck up there for a week). I brushed off all of the snow on the slideout, but I wasn't able to do anything about the ice. We pulled the slideout in and tried to roll towels up on each end to avoid the ice melting and getting everything wet - which was somewhat successful, but not totally.

I have been looking at slideout awnings, but geez they are expensive. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to avoid this issue?

Thanks.

Waitin' for the weekend!

2007 Chevy Silverado
2009 Salem 27RBS Travel Trailer
Formerly camped in a 2007 Flagstaff 228D Pop-Up
naganthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #2

I am not one for camping in the Winter, below 50 and that is it for me. If you don't what to spend the money for a topper for your slide out then you might want to buy a tarp to lay over the slide out roof, they are ugly but you would be able to pull it off. You do have to secure it so it stays on if it gets windy. That's the only thing I can think of at this time, someone else may have a better Idea. Tarps come in different colors, I have a white one but it's 20x100, ya I know it's a small one.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
2x Forest River Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
I am not one for camping in the Winter, below 50 and that is it for me. If you don't what to spend the money for a topper for your slide out then you might want to buy a tarp to lay over the slide out roof, they are ugly but you would be able to pull it off. You do have to secure it so it stays on if it gets windy. That's the only thing I can think of at this time, someone else may have a better Idea. Tarps come in different colors, I have a white one but it's 20x100, ya I know it's a small one.
That's a good idea. I had these on my pop-up bunkends to keep them warmer/cooler depending on the weather. I may just ask the people that make these to custom cut one for my slideout:

Any other ideas out there??

Waitin' for the weekend!

2007 Chevy Silverado
Old 12-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #4

Like you, I didn't want to spend the bucks for a slide topper. But, on talking to other campers, I finally bit the bullet and bought one. The reasons given to me were, in addition to those you mentioned, keeps leaves, sticks, and other items off the slide top which will, over time, degrade the rubber seals and cause leaks. The resulting leaks would require using your towel method every time it rains.

LOL

Jim & Eileen
Silverado 1500 Crew Cab, 5.3 ltr, prodigy controller.
2009 Rockwood 2604.

Running mates Max & Kate Chihuahua's

Hobie Kayaks on Thule rack on truck

Retired Army EOD
jdeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I don't think it will work. The pop-up ones are designed to clip to the sides and end of the bunk end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naganthunter View Post
That's a good idea. I had these on my pop-up bunkends to keep them warmer/cooler depending on the weather. I may just ask the people that make these to custom cut one for my slideout:

Any other ideas out there??

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
2x Forest River Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
I don't think it will work. The pop-up ones are designed to clip to the sides and end of the bunk end.
You sir, are absolutely correct.

However, I plan to improvise, adapt, and overcome!!

Here's my idea - excuse the rough sketch - art is not my thing:

This will cover the entire top of the slideout. The reflective side will be UP to best utilize the heat from the sun, much like some of those tin roofs you see in snowy areas.

I'll use marine grade snaps such as these to affix the cover to the top of the slideout - being careful of course to properly seal each hole drilled:

As an added measure I'll use shock cord threaded thru the ends to keep them from flapping around in the wind and to maintain a nice tight seal on the top (just like those seen on the bunkend cover of the pop-up in this thread).

If there is snow, ice, or other crap on the top of the slide out, I'll just need to unbutton and roll the cover off prior to retracting the slide.

Anyone see any issues or reasons this might not work?

Thanks

Waitin' for the weekend!

2007 Chevy Silverado
Old 12-24-2008, 07:09 PM   #7

My slide out topper was part of my camper when I bought it. I do not know the price to have one installed. So my question is, with all this engineering and material is it cheaper to go this rout then to have one installed?
Old 12-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #8
2x Forest River Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
My slide out topper was part of my camper when I bought it. I do not know the price to have one installed. So my question is, with all this engineering and material is it cheaper to go this rout then to have one installed?
$365 parts, $72 Labor for the topper.

about $50-$60 for my DIY plan.

Waitin' for the weekend!

2007 Chevy Silverado
Old 12-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I thought of asking the dealer to add a slideout awning to our trailer before we bought it, but after looking at a similar trailer that had 1 already installed, we decided against it. That puppy was terrible looking just from sitting in the dealer lot, and was filled with yucky looking rain water that was catching and sagging in the middle of it. Where is all of that water going to go when you close the slide.....yup, right down the side of the camper, or worse yet, spill off the side into the slide seals.

Chap
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:21 AM   #10

The topper is not suppose to sage when the slide out is open, it should be snug so it does't collect. If it sages then it needs to be adjusted. When I set my camper up I normaly set the front of my camper a little higher then the rear just enough to let water run off, but it is still in the level range to the high side and my wife likes the camper in that possition. The bed room is in the front and it makes her feel like she is not sleeping on her head ????? The only problem I see with a tarp is that it is something else to deal with in bad weather before retracting the slide out and then storing it, at least with the topper it will roll up with the slide out and most of the crap will come off of it. The tarp would have to be cleaned and dry before storing otherwise it will be nasty as well.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:43 PM   #11
Site Team

we bought our Roo without a slide cover. we decided we would see if we needed one.
after 1 year, we had to admit our mistake. we should have had one installed before we bought our trailer. after countless
sweepings and seals with sap that made the slide stick to the side of the trailer, we got one installed at CW. it probably cost us more by adding it later.
but now we are so glad we did. we haven't had to worry about snow, but we have avoided leaves, pine needles, pine cones and other forms of debris. and once the seals were cleaned, no more sticking of the slide going out.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote