Old 03-10-2015, 10:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
Truth in that OC! Just gotta watch if it's a chalking EPDM membrane.
How do I find out what kind of roof I have? If I take a picture of it tomorrow will you be able to tell?

Old 03-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #12

Most likely identifiable by picture. A call to FR with your VIN# works too.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Welcome! You will get the roof fixed up easily. Take yourself to Alpha Systems website - these are the membranes used to roof most of FR campers. Just check out the YouTube videos they have and you will see how the factory does a roof and the vent sealing. You will have a great appreciation then!

Regarding the slide seals, they vary. They are also always expensive. Do you have a torn wiper or a torn bulb or is the seal just old and breaking down?
I copied this picture from rv.net. The seal I am talking about is the one on the far right, the outer part of the slide. They are pretty much shot. I'll take a photo tomorrow. It's the seal that is hollow in the middle.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5048.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	71136
Old 03-10-2015, 10:31 PM   #14

You are in luck! That bulb seal is a simple replacement! The one to the left at the cabin wall is the trickier one. You can buy that seal much cheaper from McMaster - Carr too.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:36 PM   #15

Yay Hooray! And I just looked at images for an edpm rubber roof. I'm 99% sure that's what we have. So when I get that self leveling sealant, do I clean it with mineral spirits or Acetone?
Old 03-10-2015, 10:38 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyJB View Post
How do I find out what kind of roof I have? If I take a picture of it tomorrow will you be able to tell?
As far as using Eternabond around the vent, it doesn't make any difference what the roof is made of. Just make sure you clean the area for the tape with acetone.

The self leveling stuff will eventually crack like the original, which is why the Eternabond is better.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Yay Hooray! And I just looked at images for an edpm rubber roof. I'm 99% sure that's what we have. So when I get that self leveling sealant, do I clean it with mineral spirits or Acetone?
If it's smooth - no texture, it is. Yes, you'd remove the old as best you can, clean with acetone and apply.

Eternabond works great too like OC said. Just do good prep and install on a warm day - 70s work real well - and roll it well. Here's an online example of it being installed http://mellomikeswolfcreekcamper.blo...abond.html?m=1

Edit: If you pay for shipping, I have a new roll of white Eternabond I have no use for and you are welcomed to. New TT has beige membrane.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:27 PM   #18

Well today turned out so pretty and the sun warmed things up so I crawled up that ladder and got to work. The putty or sealant that was up there was kinda mushy? Is it supposed to be like that when you press on it with your finger? I believe it was the right kind, I just thought it would be hard. I ended up taking off the top 1/2 of it and cleaned up around it to apply to the two areas that had leaked. I got the 4" x 50' roll of white. GeoTex1 do you have a paypal account? I have quite a few more places to clean up and retape. Which leads me to my next question, how do you go around round vents, like sewer vents? And then there is the antenna. How in the world do you go about that area? I'm thinking that needs the self leveling sealant.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Well today turned out so pretty and the sun warmed things up so I crawled up that ladder and got to work. The putty or sealant that was up there was kinda mushy? Is it supposed to be like that when you press on it with your finger? I believe it was the right kind, I just thought it would be hard. I ended up taking off the top 1/2 of it and cleaned up around it to apply to the two areas that had leaked. I got the 4" x 50' roll of white. GeoTex1 do you have a paypal account? I have quite a few more places to clean up and retape. Which leads me to my next question, how do you go around round vents, like sewer vents? And then there is the antenna. How in the world do you go about that area? I'm thinking that needs the self leveling sealant.
Yeah, should be pliable when it still has life left. Did you notice any of it cracked, lifting, or missing?

Yep, I have PayPal. Private message me a zip code to get shipping and it's yours.

You can tape the sewer vents. Just need to trim a half-round profile to it. I prefer lap sealant for the radio antenna because of the style FR uses.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Yeah, should be pliable when it still has life left. Did you notice any of it cracked, lifting, or missing?

Yep, I have PayPal. Private message me a zip code to get shipping and it's yours.

You can tape the sewer vents. Just need to trim a half-round profile to it. I prefer lap sealant for the radio antenna because of the style FR uses.
No I didn't. Other than the dirt making it dark it seemed fine. I do have some missing areas on the antenna and it's cracked. I'm guessing the po put the maxxair vents on when they bought it which protected it. I didn't really press down on that sealant. What about the back of the rv (on the roof still)? Should I use the tape or the lap sealant?
Today I have to help the husband. We are cleaning out the other garage and since he said we are cleaning out the other garage first, I'm going to take advantage of that and help.

Tags
leak, manual, roo, vent