Old 03-10-2015, 05:17 PM   #1

I found a leak

I searched this part of the forums but didn't see anything so excuse me, I know this has been posted before. Bare with me, I don't speak in I know what I'm doing.
We received 6 inches of rain in the past two days and I decided to check the 2011 Sandpiper for leaks. Lo and behold in the back 1/2 bathroom there was water on the floor. I checked the vent that you can crank open and that is where it was coming from. It appeared to be closed tight but I guess the seal around the cover on top is leaking? So I went to check the other vent that you can open but is an electrical vent and it was ok, no water on the floor. When I started down the stairs I heard a "tick". So back to the bathroom, open up the shower and it's leaking in there through the vent. SO here's the question.
I should probably replace the vents on top because if I try to take them off to replace the seal they are going to crack right? What type of sealant do I use? Butyl tape or some kind of caulk? I did read in a previous post about a different type of leak (due to a cracked cover) about a suggestion to go over the current cover with a different type? I really don't want to spend for extra things because we are trying to sell. Thank you!

Old 03-10-2015, 05:32 PM   #2

Leak from bathroom manual open vent

Very likely don't need to remove the vent at all. The sealant around the edge has problem gotten stale and cracked or been lost. You need to go up, clean off as much as the old sealant as you can without damaging the roof membrane, prep the area good to remove dirt and residue, and then jay down fresh self-leveling lap sealant. I don't know what kind of membrane is on a Sandpiper, but Dicor lap sealant is compatible with most types.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #3

I'm thinking it's a rubber roof but I really don't know. Thanks for the answer. I'm looking at Maxxair vent covers but when the sun pops back out I'll look at the sealant and maybe email Forest River to see if they can tell me what kind of roof I have.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #4

The vent covers do nothing to seal water at the edges. That's not their function. I'm quite sure your roof just didn't have the regular maintenance they need. Fresh sealant will probably be all you need. If not, it's not a problem to do both a butyl tape and lap sealant redo.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:10 PM   #5

I figured that. I need to replace one more vent with the cyclone vent also. Looks like I'll be busy when the rain stops. Well I'm off to youtube to see what I need to do. Thanks geotex1.
By the way, is it hard to replace the exterior slide out seals?
Old 03-10-2015, 09:24 PM   #6

Welcome! You will get the roof fixed up easily. Take yourself to Alpha Systems website - these are the membranes used to roof most of FR campers. Just check out the YouTube videos they have and you will see how the factory does a roof and the vent sealing. You will have a great appreciation then!

Regarding the slide seals, they vary. They are also always expensive. Do you have a torn wiper or a torn bulb or is the seal just old and breaking down?
Old 03-10-2015, 09:40 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Eternabond tape works great around vent flanges. Just make sure you clean the area with acetone before applying the tape.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:42 PM   #8

Truth in that OC! Just gotta watch if it's a chalking EPDM membrane.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:08 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
Truth in that OC! Just gotta watch if it's a chalking EPDM membrane.
That's why you clean it with acetone. Not my first rodeo.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
That's why you clean it with acetone. Not my first rodeo.
You and me are far, far from our first! The OP, however, is getting ready to ride the bull for the first time!

Tags
leak, manual, roo, vent