Old 07-31-2016, 09:46 AM   #1

Lifted/Leaking Rubber Roof Membrane - Help wanted

During the last couple of days of our long road trip we noticed that we had some water leaking into the bedroom (via the power outlet above the nightstand).

When I went up onto the roof to investigate I saw that the front half of the roof membrane has lifted/moved/wrinkled and that the movement has caused the dicor to crack/split and the cause the leak.
The dicor is split along the front "bulkhead" seam, and also around the TV antenna and the bathroom skylight.
It looks like the roof membrane has actually pulled out from underneath the bathroom skylight.

Photos below

While on the road I made an emergency patch using duct-tape, to just keep the rain of the front seam, but am now needing to do something a little better until I can find somewhere to get it repaired under warranty (need help there, since Orlando RV say they can't get to it for several weeks).

I've removed some of the loose dicor (which came away worryingly easily), and plan to seal along the edges with some new non-sag dicor (which I managed to get on our way home) today. I won't be happy with this as a long-term fix tho, since the roof membrane is not properly bonded to the roof underneath.

Any suggestions on warranty repair companies in central FL, and any recommendations on how to deal with this in the meantime, would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wrinkly roof

Cracked/Split dicor

Lifted dicor around bathroom skylight, and showing where the membrane has partially pulled out from under the skylight

Old 07-31-2016, 09:59 AM   #2

I'm going to assume it is still under warranty if so I think I would give FR a call and see who in your area is authorized to do that sort of job.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:11 AM   #3

Boy that looks terrible, the only one that can repair that would be the factory. Just had mine replaced. The factory told me that no dealer can repair mine or are capable of the repair. First day there they had to measure the roof and cut outs. Then they had to make the roof. From the membrane to the units ceiling is one compressed piece they disconnect your lights and speakers and then unbolt the roof and lift it off then they put the new roof on 1 piece. The cost to replace mine was 5400.00. But it's nicer then the original. I would call the factory and send them the pictures and see what they say, it took 4 day's for the repair. hope that helps you a little good luck..
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Boy that looks terrible, the only one that can repair that would be the factory. Just had mine replaced. The factory told me that no dealer can repair mine or are capable of the repair. First day there they had to measure the roof and cut outs. Then they had to make the roof. From the membrane to the units ceiling is one compressed piece they disconnect your lights and speakers and then unbolt the roof and lift it off then they put the new roof on 1 piece. The cost to replace mine was 5400.00. But it's nicer then the original. I would call the factory and send them the pictures and see what they say, it took 4 day's for the repair. hope that helps you a little good luck..
Do you have the contact info for FR ? That would be most helpful.

It's around the end of the warranty, so I'll need to check whether we're within warranty or just past (but either way I could push for them to repair, since it's been like that for at least a week, likely more).

Did you have to take the camper to the factory ? I can't spare time from work to go half way across the country to take it to the factory :'(
Old 07-31-2016, 10:43 AM   #5

The phone #'s are in the FRF library. I have the # for Rockwood/Flagstaff. It looks like the glue went. Your roof is warranted for 10 years. I had a hole that caused delam. Of the plywood, if it is under warranty they will pick it up and delve. Back. They wanted 1950 for that service being it wasn't a warranty issue. What unit do you have?if you can't find it in can send you the #. For Rockwood call Deb Rims 574 642 8942, she is with warranty logistics and get you to the right person make sure you have your vin#.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
The phone #'s are in the FRF library. I have the # for Rockwood/Flagstaff. It looks like the glue went. Your roof is warranted for 10 years. I had a hole that caused delam. Of the plywood, if it is under warranty they will pick it up and delve. Back. They wanted 1950 for that service being it wasn't a warranty issue. What unit do you have?if you can't find it in can send you the #. For Rockwood call Deb Rims 574 642 8942, she is with warranty logistics and get you to the right person make sure you have your vin#.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Thanks!
It's a Rockwood 8281WS Ultra Lite 5er
I'll give her a call in the morning
Old 07-31-2016, 01:36 PM   #7

WOAH - The membrane is supposed to be glued down. you shouldn't see any wrinkles....
Old 07-31-2016, 02:27 PM   #8

2015?

According to you signature line its a 2015? Someone must have screwed up in manufacturing! Hope FR makes it right. Good Luck.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:50 PM   #9

Yep. Happened to me. Brand-spank'n new, fresh from the factory, Cherokee. Took it on one trip, and I noticed a strange "hump" on the roof while I was walking out to the trailer to unload. Got on a ladder and my roof looked EXACTLY like that. Took it back to the dealer and 4 weeks later it was fixed under warranty. Little ticked that a brand new unit has an improperly assembled roof. I was told the factory failed to apply adhesive in that area of the roof...HUH?!?!?

At least it's fixed now and we are back out enjoying it this week.

"Do or do not, there is no try" - Yoda

2017 Cherokee 294BH
2015 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4L V8 Crew Cab
Moparman1230 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:59 PM   #10
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

Down side is Either way your going to have considerable down time getting it fixed. Later RJD

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
Days booked so far in 2017 37
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, lift, roo, roof