Old 12-29-2010, 06:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Koodog, don't be so sure that buying a different model will be any better. As far as I know, all fibreglass trailers have that thin wood backing under the fibreglass skin.

Well not anymore, there are several trailers' that are wood free as far as their exterior's go. I'm not referring to Airstream either. I can name 3 company's that make a composite exterior that I know of right now;

Earthbound Rv

Evergreen Rv

Visa Rv (by Gulfstream)

My brother was lucky enough to have learned from his older brother's experiences... he bought a Visa. This may not be the end of the discussion though, unfortunately everything is still glued together, I'm sure that glue failure has been the cause of some delamination issues a couple times...

Old 12-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #22

Mine has enclosed sidewalls

Crocus,
I checked my rig and it DOES have caps on the sidewalls where the slide is. Just wanted to let you know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0431.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	4085   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0430.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	4086  

Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:50 AM   #23
Retired US Navy Diver

According to your signature, i.e. "2011 Flagstaff 8528 CKSS, loaded", you have a new 2011 trailer? Why would you even touch a obvious design flaw in an attempt to repair it? Why not have Forest River make the repairs? Any repair attempts you make could affect your ability to have future warranty repairs done.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:33 AM   #24

crocus,

Looking at Koodog's pics reminded me of my '09 Rockwood. It had the caps just like in his pictures. Maybe a worker on the line had a bad day when they made yours. Might be worth checking into.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:13 AM   #25

I travel with the vents open on the roof and I can't see how this may be a problem. For one camper leak any way if you look a post #22 the first pic koodog's slide out is closed, you can see light around the seal and if i am looking at it correctly if you face the slide out from the inside that is the upper right hand side. In that area on the out side of the slide out there is an edge that covers the seal, as you are towing the air from the out side is being scooped by the out side edge and is is coming in to the camper and i am sure that the left hand side is the same way.
The windows in the camper are not air tight they leak as well so there is all ways air moving in and out of the camper while towing. Rain is not the only problem if you think this could be an issue, high Humidity is a big factor.

I understand what you mean by using the word Vacuum, but i don't think that is the right word. In order to create a vacuum, an area must be a sealed system or unit like an A/C unit which changes the atmospheric pressure you can't create a vacuum when you have an out side leak....I think the word is "Air Transfer" With the roof vents open, slide outs leaking, windows not sealed air may be forced in but it is leaving somewhere else with in the leaks of the camper and there is no atmospheric pressure change and when air comes in from the out side it brings in anything that is out there, mositure, exhaust, dirt...etc.

The quality of these camper are not going to change for the better only there pockets will get bigger. I have delam problems on the inside of my camper on solid walls, i pulled my camper off of a seasonal site in July and park it in my driveway and have not been in it since becuse of all the issues.

Good luck to all..................
Old 12-30-2010, 08:36 AM   #26
Site Team - Lou

I was thinking more of the "Venturi Effect" of the air flowing past the open rearward facing vent. Even a slight reduction of pressure below the vent will pull air from any available source inside the camper to try to equalize the pressure differential.

Was that slide closed? If it was you are right! There should be no light visible at the top or sides of the slide.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #27

Yeah, I noticed the gap in Koodog's pic too. I agree you don't need a vent open to suck in rain, or moisture, or whatever is in the air while driving down the road. Although I'm sure an open vent doesn't help.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #28

Wow, where do I start!

Koodog, I will have to check on the inside. As I have my slides out, that area is covered, so I never looked there. But I wonder if your 'caps' wrap around both sides, and cover the cut edges inside and out, or are just a cosmetic edging to cover the inside exposed cut?

gktsuda, I would fix it myself because I know what I would get from a dealer, and FR wouldn't admit it was a problem anyway. Whatever I would do would not affect the warranty.

rockwood06, you are correct, in that the word 'vacuum' may have not been the right word. What happens is that there is a 'low-pressure' area created above the camper, and that, coupled with high pressure along the leading edges of the slides, would pull air and any accompanying moisture into the camper. Our window are quite air-tight, so they have little affect compared to having a roof vent wide open.
herk's comment about the 'venturi effect' would worsen the situation.

Thanks for all of the great comments, you guys are awesome!
Old 12-30-2010, 09:02 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Wow, where do I start!

Koodog, I will have to check on the inside. As I have my slides out, that area is covered, so I never looked there. But I wonder if your 'caps' wrap around both sides, and cover the cut edges inside and out, or are just a cosmetic edging to cover the inside exposed cut?

gktsuda, I would fix it myself because I know what I would get from a dealer, and FR wouldn't admit it was a problem anyway. Whatever I would do would not affect the warranty.

rockwood06, you are correct, in that the word 'vacuum' may have not been the right word. What happens is that there is a 'low-pressure' area created above the camper, and that, coupled with high pressure along the leading edges of the slides, would pull air and any accompanying moisture into the camper. Our window are quite air-tight, so they have little affect compared to having a roof vent wide open.
herk's comment about the 'venturi effect' would worsen the situation.

Thanks for all of the great comments, you guys are awesome!
crocus, i am glad to hear you have somthing air tight in your camp, the only air tight thing that i have on my camper is the tires for the moment.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:33 PM   #30

Shoddy Engineering

After reading this post and with 40 degree plus temperatures today melting the snow I checked on my slide seals. My 2901SS has caps on the sides of the slide opening but not the top as can be seen below. I guess the builders figured that water cannot run uphill so decided not to cap the top edge.

Also I posted below a pic of the "leakcatchers" on my bottom slide seal. There is a funnel on both ends of the seal to catch water and route it thru a hose and out the trailer thru the floor. Being a design engineer myself I and very disappointed in the lack of an engineered solution to a problem. They merely slapped a band aid on the wound. Does anyone else have these "funnels" on their slide?

p.s. Good news is I did not find any leaks around the slide or water in the leakcatchers even though there is a seam in the drip edge directly above the slide that I never noticed before. It was leaking a solid stream of water down the side of the trailer directly onto the closed slide out. A little caulk and no more leak. I should have noticed this before as I had the same issue on the other side of the trailer. That seam was directly above the entry door. I wish they would use a little forsight when designing these things!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 Rockwood top slide seal.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	4097   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 Rockwood leak catcher.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	4098  

hoffkm is offline   Reply With Quote