Old 12-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #1

Moisture Inside Along Slide-Out Wall

We have a 2104s and we were just camping in an area tha reaches almost freezing overnight. We noticed when folding up the murphy bed there was a lot of moisture/water along the strip behind the bed. We then investigated further and found the cushions in the dinette were wet behind them.

In addition all of the stripping along the roof edge had a little bit of water along the slide out and the stationary portions. One side of the slide out was wet also. One last place we found water was on the wood sills behind the sides of the u shape dinette.

All of it could be wiped down easily with a rag, but we arenít sure if this was caused by the extreme temps (as it wasnít on the other side) and we ran the heat or if we have a seal problem. We called the dealer and they said they have never heard of such a thing. The dealer is 3 hours from us and they said it would have to stay overnight. So before we commit to driving it and getting a hotel, we wanted to know if anyone has insight in this.

Thanks in advance.

tmlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:07 PM   #2

A lot of moisture forms using the propane heat. Cold air blowing on the slide might cause extra moisture to collect there. I use two of those Driz Air moisture collectors and they seam to cut down on the extra condensation. Dehumidifier would work, but I like what I use is no power when not using our unit and its parked. We do camp in ours in the winter. Been down to 16 degrees overnight several times.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
A lot of moisture forms using the propane heat. Cold air blowing on the slide might cause extra moisture to collect there. I use two of those Driz Air moisture collectors and they seam to cut down on the extra condensation. Dehumidifier would work, but I like what I use is no power when not using our unit and its parked. We do camp in ours in the winter. Been down to 16 degrees overnight several times.
Is this what you use?

Do they work well? We've also seen this. I was considering taking our dehumidifier with us the next time. We also camp in the summer when it's hot and humid (we live in the south). Do you think it would help with that?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HF4DSH1..._bQOjCb11KQRVY
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:54 PM   #4

Yes. They are what I use. Amazing how much moisture they can remove and they don't need power. Perfect for between camping trips and sitting.
I had to empty both of mine before I could take the RV home and that was a months worth just sitting.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:05 PM   #5

The propane furnace does not add moisture to the air, it dries the air or lowers the relative humidity (rH)!
The corners as you are experiencing are the first to get wet this is bec. of the over all low R factor found in RVs and the fact that especially in the corners the cold temperature travels straight through the aluminum framing and causes condensation. The only method to lower the relative humidity quickly and efficient is a compressor type dehumidifier. We have two 50 pint units, one in the bathroom and one in the living room / kitchen, they collect 2 gallons of water or more per day, you do not want this much water to accumulate inside the walls, ceiling and your mattress.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
The propane furnace does not add moisture to the air, it dries the air or lowers the relative humidity (rH)!
The corners as you are experiencing are the first to get wet this is bec. of the over all low R factor found in RVs and the fact that especially in the corners the cold temperature travels straight through the aluminum framing and causes condensation. The only method to lower the relative humidity quickly and efficient is a compressor type dehumidifier. We have two 50 pint units, one in the bathroom and one in the living room / kitchen, they collect 2 gallons of water or more per day, you do not want this much water to accumulate inside the walls, ceiling and your mattress.
Good thing I didn't say adds moisture, but it does form using any kind of heat in winter.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:16 PM   #7

Tell everyone to stop breathing.. that'll help.

Yes, I'm kidding. This is what I tell my kids though.... They just roll their eyes at me. It's really quite funny.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:48 PM   #8

Here is a link to a site with some easy to read information regarding relative humidity.
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/m...ir-d_1403.html

The 2 columns on the right in the table represent 100% humidity in relation to the temperature in the left columns. It basically means when the room temperature is 20 deg. C (70F) and a cold corner in the RV measures only 0 deg. C (32F) that the air there can only carry about 1/4 of the water compared to the rest of the RV, if we can reduce the rH in the warm area to roughly 25% that would bring us below 100% in the cold part and stop the condensation - if this makes sense. The catch is if we lower the rH to far down we make the living conditions unhealthy for us and wood (furniture) can shrink and crack.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:46 PM   #9

Thank you for your insights. Sure wish the dealer had explained this. For now, we will look into a dehumidifier and not rush in for service.
tmlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:23 PM   #10

[QUOTE=tmlogo;1995748]Thank you for your insights. Sure wish the dealer had explained this. For now, we will look into a dehumidifier and not rush in for service.[/QUOTE

I have 2 more tips for you.
If you turn down the thermostat too low over night you're likely to get more condensation than if you dont, a couple degrees are probably no big deal.
There are 'value priced' dehumidifiers like Garrison or Noma that are very effective but noisy and there are others like the Bionaire that are whisper quiet and equally effective but twice as expensive. We keep the unit in the living room on 24/7 while the other one in the bathroom is on humidistat.

Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide