Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2017, 11:42 PM   #1

Mounting Solar Panels on Roof of Rockwood/Flagstaff TT

I’ve used the search button and have found some good general information about mounting solar panels on a lot of different type of roofs, but I’m looking specifically for people that have installed panels on either the Rockwood or Flagstaff models. Anybody out there that have mounted panels on these models? I am concerned that the laminated roof doesn’t allow for lag bolts, what have people done? Just using an adhesive or a product like sticky feet scares me.
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:50 AM   #2

I've heard of people using well nuts, but I'm not sure which size you would need. I'm curious as I have a Rockwood as well, but I just ordered flex panels that I'll glue/tape to the roof.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:59 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, they have been few and far between. Surprised more people haven't mounted panels on these popular trailers. I did find one person that used Molly Bolts also called Hollow Wall bolts. I think I'm going to go with 6 sticky feet mounts per panel (165w) and use two molly bolts per sticky feet. Over the top off that I'm going to use 3M 5200 adhesive and then top it with Dicor. Probably overkill, but I do not want to worry about them flying off and causing an accident or tear my expensive roof apart.

I would go with flex panels but I already have the panels and don't want to spend more money.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:49 AM   #4

Drilling 12 holes per panel in the roof..... The number one reason i went with flex panels.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #5

I had 16 holes in the previous trailer that the panels came off of, never had an issue. I checked and resealed often. I hear you though. Where did you get your panels?
Old 05-16-2017, 12:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
I had 16 holes in the previous trailer that the panels came off of, never had an issue. I checked and resealed often. I hear you though. Where did you get your panels?
Amazon.

Secured with eternabond tape. Quick, easy, removable.

I just couldn't bring myself to drill a whole bunch of holes in the roof.
I also like the fact that nothing can be seen from the ground.
Light weight too.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:05 PM   #7

Roof is too flimsy!

I have a modular system I manufactured. Up or down 10 minutes. All plug and play. 8 panels at 50watts each = 400 total - 22amps/hr (Pic is of 20 - forgot to take pic when reached full output)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solar.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	453.0 KB
ID:	138087   Click image for larger version

Name:	solar 20a.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	138091  
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:19 PM   #8

Not sure what you mean by too flimsy, I can walk on it and I'm 230lb. The problem for me is that there is no plywood under the TPO to lag into with bolts. So I was looking for other suggestions on how to mount panels. I assume yours is portable? Chances of it being stolen are to great with portable. I want to instal it and forget it, I had it mounted on my old trailer roof for 5 years and I would like to do the same with the new trailer.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by too flimsy, I can walk on it and I'm 230lb. The problem for me is that there is no plywood under the TPO to lag into with bolts. So I was looking for other suggestions on how to mount panels. I assume yours is portable? Chances of it being stolen are to great with portable. I want to instal it and forget it, I had it mounted on my old trailer roof for 5 years and I would like to do the same with the new trailer.
Same as me, there are advantages of portable, but I prefer to not set up more stuff than I already have.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Old 05-16-2017, 03:20 PM   #10

I have the same thing (standard panels on roof). Project got pushed till next year.

Anyway, I plan on using screws, and plenty of them (short lags, I assume). Sealed properly, it is no problem. There are plenty of other holes in the roof, and those people take less care than I will.
aeblank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #11

I just spent some time over the last week resealing the roof, etc. and noticed some nice aluminum framing that runs laterally that you can probably pick up on. I'm not sure of the spacing, but shouldn't be too difficult to find where exactly they run.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Old 06-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #12

Lins - Have you mounted your flexible panels on your trailer? If so how many watts do you have up there? I am leaning towards flexible panels and have done a lot of research on them, my last remaining questions is the heat that people say will get transfered through the roof into your railer. Have you noticed any residual heat inside the trailer from the panels being flat on the roof. I sure do like the ease of installing and no concern that wind will rip them off the roof.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #13

Using flex panels will cost you significant efficiency due to heating. The lack of an air space under the panel will trap the heat and solar panels don't work well when hot.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:17 PM   #14

There is a lot of people using flexible solar panels on RV's. You are correct that you lose some efficiency, the key is to calculate for the lose by having more watts. I have planned to add about 25% more wattage than I had with my old frame panels. My only concern that I cannot answer is the heat that will be transferred into the trailer from the panels. Not really too much of a concern since if it is that hot I will be running my genset and AC.

I am not comfortable mounting traditional panels on my roof that only has 1/8th Luan and foam to screw into, that pretty much leaves me with the option of flexible panels.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #15

There are pros and cons to both like everything else. I like the lightweight, and less chance of damage compared to the rigid panels. We don't get the heat you guys do, and we also have 20 hours of sunlight currently, so lots of time for charging right now.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Old 06-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #16

Where or who are you sourcing flexible panels from? I'm leaning towards that route now.

2013 Wildwood 26TBSS
SDShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:09 PM   #17

Windy Nation located in Ventura Ca. Although Amazon has a few different sellers as well. There are a ton of youtube videos showing flexible panels and their installations.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Windy Nation located in Ventura Ca. Although Amazon has a few different sellers as well. There are a ton of youtube videos showing flexible panels and their installations.

Perfect!! Ventura is close to me. [emoji1303]

2013 Wildwood 26TBSS
SDShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:28 PM   #19

Has any one installed Flexible panels on aluminum Channel?

I have the same issues as discussed in this thread with rigid panels and want to install flexible panels. However, given the short warranty period on all of them, I am reluctant to use Eternabond tape because of the difficulty of getting a panel off without ripping the rubber off the plywood. So I was thinking of buying 1X1 aluminum channel and taping that down with VHB two-sided tape with all sides enclosed and the open side of the channel out. Then screwing the panels to the frame. That way if a panel dies, I can unscrew it and replace it. The frame could be made large enough for two panels together. I am throwing this ideas out to the community to see if any one can find a potential problem with this concept before I go through all the work. Thanks in advance.
Less is More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:37 PM   #20

I have seen youtube videos of people removing eternabond tape with a heat gun and slight pressure. I agree that that would be a real concern mounting with that method. My thoughts on the failure of the semi flexible is that they are so thin I would just mount the replace right on top of the failed panel. leaving the failed panel as the base for the new panel. It still wouldn't be very tall off of the roof as they are less than 1/8th thick. Just my thoughts.

Tags
flagstaff, mount, rockwood, roo, roof, solar, solar panel