Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2017, 12:24 PM   #1

Need Advice with my roof and plumbing vent cover replacement

Hello all,

I need to replace a couple of plumbing vents on my 2008 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8318SS. I believe that at some point someone put a rubber roof on my unit (not sure why) as I don't think this is normal with this unit.

Anyway, I need to replace the bathroom vents on the rear of the camper. When I went up on the roof I noticed that the Dicor that covers the screws attaching the vent cover and the seam for the rubber roof as well as the Dicor that covers the attachment point for the bathroom skylight is all run together and is pretty much all one.

Can I cut out just the vents and replace just the Dicor that is immediately around those vents or do I have to take off all adjoining Dicor and re-do the entire seam?

If I overlap the new over the old Dicor will that seal properly? I don't want any leaks. Seems like a big job if I have to re-do it all.

Thanks guys!
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #2

Bueller.. anyone.. anyone?
Old 05-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

What makes you think the roof was replaced with rubber? Take pictures of the vents and post them here. What I would do is just clean off what you need to change the vents. Get some Eternabond and put it around everything, including the skylight. Just trim the old dicor so it looks a little neater.

I ordered Eternabond to cover all the seams on my TT today. 2x 50ft and 2x 10ft.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #4

You dont need to replace the entire vent, just the lid. All you need to do is determine what hinge style you have and go buy the correct lid. As for the vents? Go buy the ones you need and buy them. There held on with 4 screws. So all you need to do is carefully scrape the old sealant off, remove the screws, clean the surface, apply a generous amout of Dicor, screw the new vents back down and apply more Dicor.
Again, why do you think someone replaced the roof? Dicor or TPO are common roofing materials on trailers.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
What makes you think the roof was replaced with rubber? Take pictures of the vents and post them here. What I would do is just clean off what you need to change the vents. Get some Eternabond and put it around everything, including the skylight. Just trim the old dicor so it looks a little neater.

I ordered Eternabond to cover all the seams on my TT today. 2x 50ft and 2x 10ft.
Here's the vents I'm talking about.. they're for my plumbing stack I believe. The forward one isn't that bad but it is pretty weathered (fine cracks and I can tell it's brittle. The one behind that is the worst. I have Aluminum tape covering the openings but it's pretty well cracked out along the flange so just replacing the cap probably won't do me any good.

If you see the second one that's the one that is really close to the Dicor over the seam and they run together if you follow the seam back towards the side of the trailer the seam is connected to the vent Dicor.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170517_184239.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	138257

The second photo is where I think there may have been some damage. If you look closely you'll notice a line that runs diagonal from the side of the camper to the middle of the roof. It looks like a crack in the sub surface.

Name:	IMG_20170517_184355.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	138258

Here is a photo of the entire roof. I looked online and saw that the Manufacturer's brochure states that the camper is constructed with six-side Fiberglass. I would interpret that as being all sides of the camper including the roof. I also did a Google search and saw some photos of similar units and they appear to have a fiberglass with a texture similar to sandpaper.

Name:	IMG_20170517_184358.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	138259
Old 05-17-2017, 08:12 PM   #6

Rockwood ultralites are are pretty much basic entry level RVs. Believe us, it came with the roof you have. Rubber or TPO roofs are pretty much standard on probably 99% of the RVs produced today. Except maybe million dollar RVs. Like I said before changing the vents is not hard to do. Plastic scraper, basic hand tools, and a tube of Dicor is all you need. Take the old vent cover off and take it to the RV store with you and match the hinge. This is not rocket science, by any means. But it is considered normal maintenance
BTW, the lines your referring to is probsbly the seams in the underlayment. Again, perfectly normal.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
You dont need to replace the entire vent, just the lid. All you need to do is determine what hinge style you have and go buy the correct lid. As for the vents? Go buy the ones you need and buy them. There held on with 4 screws. So all you need to do is carefully scrape the old sealant off, remove the screws, clean the surface, apply a generous amout of Dicor, screw the new vents back down and apply more Dicor.
Again, why do you think someone replaced the roof? Dicor or TPO are common roofing materials on trailers.
The PO told me that there was a new roof on it when he bought it. Looking at the photos it's pretty obvious it was replaced.. nice and clean and white. The surface is really good and it doesn't appear to be as old as the rest of the camper.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Rockwood ultralites are are pretty much basic entry level RVs. Believe us, it came with the roof you have. Rubber or TPO roofs are pretty much standard on probably 99% of the RVs produced today. Except maybe million dollar RVs. Like I said before changing the vents is not hard to do. Plastic scraper, basic hand tools, and a tube of Dicor is all you need. Take the old vent cover off and take it to the RV store with you and match the hinge. This is not rocket science, by any means. But it is considered normal maintenance.
Thanks for the assistance. I'll give it a shot this weekend. I guess just overlap the new Dicor over the old a bit, correct?
Old 05-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #9

You will want,to make sure that the new vents are screwed down to the roof. In other words attempt to clean as much of the old hard Dicor off as possible. Be sure to lay a good beed of Dicor down before dropping the new vents inlace. Once screwed down apply lots more Dicor around to seal things up.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:43 PM   #10

Quote:
You will want,to make sure that the new vents are screwed down to the roof. In other words attempt to clean as much of the old hard Dicor off as possible. Be sure to lay a good beed of Dicor down before dropping the new vents inlace. Once screwed down apply lots more Dicor around to seal things up.
Thank you! :-) I'll give it a shot.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:04 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Rockwood ultralites are are pretty much basic entry level RVs.
I respectfully disagree.

Stick and tin trailers are entry-level trailers. Aluminum siding and wood frame.

Filon-sided/aluminum frame trailers, like Rockwood/Flagstaff are medium level trailers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

That roof looks like Alpha TPO. It has an orange peel like texture to it. I have the same roof on my TT.

There are 3 files in the library section on this forum uploaded by Triguy
Forest River Forums - Downloads - Roof - Alpha TPO Roof Cleaning Instructions
Forest River Forums - Downloads - Roof - Alpha Roof Repair
Forest River Forums - Downloads - Roof - Alpha Roof Sealant Maintenance
Old 05-18-2017, 06:17 PM   #13

The vent covers are just screwed to the stand pipes. I replaced several over the years. When you remove the cap, use dicore to reseal around the pipe then place the cap back on and put a screw through the cap into the stand pipe.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:32 PM   #14

If I was going to repair those roof vents I would just replace them with new. Maybe something like the Siphon 360 or Camco Cyclone. I did mine took all of 15 minutes start to finish.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
If I was going to repair those roof vents I would just replace them with new. Maybe something like the Siphon 360 or Camco Cyclone. I did mine took all of 15 minutes start to finish.
Wow. I'd never seen any like this before. I already bought them from Amazon so I'll probably just use those for now..
Old 05-20-2017, 11:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Here's the vents I'm talking about.. they're for my plumbing stack I believe. The forward one isn't that bad but it is pretty weathered (fine cracks and I can tell it's brittle. The one behind that is the worst. I have Aluminum tape covering the openings but it's pretty well cracked out along the flange so just replacing the cap probably won't do me any good.

If you see the second one that's the one that is really close to the Dicor over the seam and they run together if you follow the seam back towards the side of the trailer the seam is connected to the vent Dicor.
Attachment 138257

The second photo is where I think there may have been some damage. If you look closely you'll notice a line that runs diagonal from the side of the camper to the middle of the roof. It looks like a crack in the sub surface.
Attachment 138258

Here is a photo of the entire roof. I looked online and saw that the Manufacturer's brochure states that the camper is constructed with six-side Fiberglass. I would interpret that as being all sides of the camper including the roof. I also did a Google search and saw some photos of similar units and they appear to have a fiberglass with a texture similar to sandpaper.
Attachment 138259
I don't think the rubber roof was added, it is a factory install. I have never seen a fiberglass roof on a camper. Not to say it has not been done, I have just never seen it!
Old 05-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #17

Remove the Vent "Caps" that are on there now! Buy Vent "Caps" that have Metal Barbed Arms that Slip "INSIDE" the vent Pipe! NO NEED to Remove Anything else on the Roof or Flange! I replaced ours with this type years ago! It will take longer to remove the CAP on there now because the Factory seems to always fill the retaining screw Hole with Caulk! Youroo!!
Old 05-25-2017, 10:16 PM   #18
Just as confused as you

If the vent pipes are like mine the black pvc comes up through the roof. The bottom of the vent cover is screwed to the roof and the cap has one screw holding it to the bottom. There is not any connection to the black pvc. It has to do with expansion and contraction.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:12 AM   #19

Thanks everyone! Got'er done last night. The base on mine was so sun damaged it was cracking and breaking apart so, water was going around the cap (which was fairly new) and leaking down the pipe.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:34 PM   #20

Your roof looks excellent, someone painted a sealant on mine it didn't hurt the rubber roof but it peels on TPO roofing, I have cleaned it up but it stained the roof. You should be pleased with your roof.
cardwellmarty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, plumbing, replacement, roo, roof, vent