Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2016, 10:05 AM   #1

Need help to replace roof on Windjammer

Had storm damage on our 2015 3029W Rockwood Windjammer and must replace the roof. Columbia, SC Camping World after giving us an estimate, now says they don't have the equipment to replace the roof. Looking for another RV shop that can replace the roof in the Southeast.
dkightlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:18 AM   #2

Structural damage?

If not, Rhino Liner they make/do RV roof coating.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:50 AM   #3

Where are you located? I found an excellent RV repair shop in Fort Worth.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkightlinger View Post
Had storm damage on our 2015 3029W Rockwood Windjammer and must replace the roof. Columbia, SC Camping World after giving us an estimate, now says they don't have the equipment to replace the roof. Looking for another RV shop that can replace the roof in the Southeast.
There is no dealer per FR that can replace your roof, I just did mine from the wood delamination from a whole the size of a dime that I never knew I had. I had to call FR talk to Debra Ramis, she will get an estimate from Floyd and even have it pick-up and delv. back for you or you can just drive it up and wait takes 4 days. Your roof is totally laminated together. From the rubber to your ceiling. They replace everything from vents to your antenna. Plus I gave them a punch list and they repaired everything. The cost for mine was 5400.00 if I wanted it pick-up in Virginia the trans cost would have been 1950.00 extra. The roof looks better then new they did a great job plus all new gutter around. If you need her # let me know the same plant does Rookwood and Windjammers....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:54 AM   #5

Not exactly next door to you but "Mid-State RV Sales" in Byron, GA. has a huge shop facility. I have seen units, including TT's and large coaches in their shop getting new roofs put on. They repaired an 8" long crack in the sidewall of my unit after a hit and run type incident. This is the fiberglass type siding and you cannot find where the original crack was.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #6

I am seriously considering the RV Flex Armour Roof, they remove the rubber roof and everything else and replace any wood that needs replacement. Then spray on the new roof
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:25 AM   #7

Quote:

Tony's RV right here in Columbia, is an independent shop, they don't sell RV's, only service them. Had two repairs done there, both were warranty, very satisfied.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:39 AM   #8

Only problem is a windjammer has laminated roof there is no dealer or independent that can laminate 4 layers rubber, plywood Styrofoam and the units ceiling together. They change the rubber but if they peal that plywood it can't be removed without tearing up his Styrofoam up which the ducts are molded into.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:42 AM   #9

I think you people need to stay on track! The OP ask about a Rockwood Windjammer! Witch Doctor gave the Correct answer,It is a Bonded roof and they F/R Factory replace the Entire Roof "1 Piece" 34 foot long! They do NOT ship these Roofs to any Dealer for replacement! These are for "Rockwood and Flagstaff Units"! Youroo!!
Old 10-23-2016, 04:31 PM   #10

I agree with Ford Idaho - I would look into Rhino Liner (Or RV Armor) as long as there is no major structural damage, RV Armor can take care of the issue. It will cost just about as much to put the RV Armor on as it would for them to put a new laminated roof on - difference is RV Armor is a lifetime warranty. Here is a link to their site (I believe they are a FMCA preferred vendor - which means they have been vetted and are not a fly-by-night company.

Also, since you said that it is storm damage, sounds like the insurance company will get involved. RV Armor works with all RV Insurance companies

Welcome to RV Armor - Home
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:43 PM   #11

If he has storm damage we are not talkking about a rubber replacement, CW has already told him that they can't do the repair and they do repair rubber roofs all the time, I would have to assume that there is damage to the plywood. It would have been nice if the OP stated exactly what the damage was
The coating everyone is talking about is to protect a intact roof not a damaged roof.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:39 PM   #12
ARLO

Flagstaff pick up my camper up in Churchville New York took it back to the factory And put a new floor in it and brought it back to Churchville for me. it was warranty and they did one heck of a beautiful job.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:54 PM   #13
World Wide Wanderer

With a unit that new I would seriously consider taking it back to the factory for replacement. I would hope that the insurance company will cover the cost less deductible. If it were and older unit I would consider the Roof Armor or and overlay.

The RV industry isn't doing anyone any favors with the laminated walls and roofs. It allows them to build them faster and cheaper, but makes repairs all but impossible any where other than the factory.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
With a unit that new I would seriously consider taking it back to the factory for replacement. I would hope that the insurance company will cover the cost less deductible. If it were and older unit I would consider the Roof Armor or and overlay.

The RV industry isn't doing anyone any favors with the laminated walls and roofs. It allows them to build them faster and cheaper, but makes repairs all but impossible any where other than the factory.

Aaron
You are correct for sure, when my roof started to delaminate from storm damage my insurance from the comprehensive picked the bill up of 5400.00 minus my 500.00 deductible. The adjusted came out and insisted that I get the whole roof repaired and not peaced in. Saying that it could leak again. So the only place that could replace my roof was the factory. A windjammer has the same roof as mine. If it was only a tear tape would have taken care of it. We taped my roof to stop anymore damage till I could get it repaired. That was just from a branch putting a dime size hole in it and then the rain delaminated a 12x12 section only...

Old 10-24-2016, 11:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Country Camping Corner Kings Mtn N.C. Talk to BJ tell him Santa told you to call 7047340595
cotton65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:23 PM   #16

I think it's time for the 0P, to tell us what damage he has, being if it's in the plywood only FR can fix it correctly, other company's can overlay the plywood only, they can't bond the 4 layers, I know I wouldn't want that at all.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:05 PM   #17

I would take it back to the plant. I got the usual dealer run around on the warranty work to be done i.e they didnt want to do it. I took it back to the plant on the way to Florida and they did it no questions asked and more than I had specified. They did in hours what the dealers had quoted in weeks for work to be performed and months before they could do it at my cost.
They had several bays working and there were several units there with major structural damage and they were doing a ground up job on rebuilding them. They have the tools, parts, and expertise to perform these tasks that dealers like CW dont have and the investment needed and you are not palmed off with excuses its FR's fault thay havent sent the parts etc.
bruane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:40 PM   #18

[QUOTE=cotton65;1349359]Country Camping Corner Kings Mtn N.C. Talk to BJ tell him Santa told you to call 7047340595[/QUOT Country Camping Corner is a Forest River Dealer and one of the best around that care about their customers. If anyone will take care of you they will. It is about 2hr ride for you
cotton65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, windjammer