Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2014, 09:09 PM   #1

Need your opinion (water leak)

OK somewhere somehow I'm getting water in this rear corner. I've so far sealed around:

The window.
Around water hook ups including screws.
Up both sides of corner seal.
Pulled tail light and sealed them.

I have went all the way up to roof and up near roof looks good. Not sure where to go now HELP LOL

This pic I notice water damage starts in corner edge of middle bunk bed down to floor.
CRAIGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:16 PM   #2

Hard to tell from the picture but, two things I noticed possibly. I only say this because I chased a leak recently. Do you have a gutter on that side? The other thing I noticed, it looks like the screws are not covered with anything.

I'd unscrew some of the screws and see if they are rusty. Chances are, you will find a section with rusty screws on that track. If they are rusty, that's where your leak has a high probability. They should have a vinyl cover of them that snaps in place. You can get it in rolls by the foot, usually 3/4 wide but it varies. It's probably at the top and running down behind the wall panels. Not sure exactly but, the bunks should have some wall support and if it has a beefed up plate on the studs the water could be collecting there behind the wall.

It's not fun to chase leaks for sure. In fact, I found mine last year and this year as soon as I have a free weekend, I'm going to redo the entire seam on both sides with eternabond. I'm going to pull the top gutter track off and put the eternabond behind there and roll it up over the edge of the roof. Then, I'll put all new hardware in sinking caulk in each hole as I put the screws in. Then, I'll finish it off with the vinyl covering over the screws.

Hope this gives you something to start with and hopefully some others will chime in with ideas too.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGB View Post

This pic I notice water damage starts in corner edge of middle bunk bed down to floor.
You can check the rear running lights near the roof but if you don't find it you really should check with a RV repair shop. Water inside a wall can be devastating to the structure and integrity of the camper. Odors will follow, insects eating the wood and lots of destruction. Doesn't take that long.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #4

You stated the roof was a place you didn't get to yet. I would check there. Most leaks occur because water pools. Water can leak in from your roof and go anywhere from there. It will follow the studs in the walls or wires or even the insulation. Check the roof along the rails on the side and across the back. Look really good along the caulk lines. They may have separated from the roof but still look intact. Also look on the roof for signs that water is puddling. If you see that then you have found the leak.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #5

Thanks for replies. It does have a small gutter or drip rail. I see what your saying about screws. No there not covered and looks like previous owner sealed over them before I got it.

I was wondering if I should pull the rubber trim out of corner seal and check any screws there? The eterna bond rolls are probably in my near future too If I can't seal this up.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:03 PM   #6

Today I pulled some screws along the top side, all good no rust or sign of rot there. Then I went and pulled the center seal off the corner to reveal them screws. There's where I found issues. Someone has been here before, had 4 or 5 Phillips head screws that hardly sunk in the holes. All the others are the square head screws. So I pulled all them noticing rust and rott on a few. So I pulled them and shot caulk in holes and onto screws and installed them all. Then I went over the heads with more caulk, I should have no issue here.

Also was checking the lights, the one on side was full of water! Which could allow water to seep thru the wire hole. Ended up drilling small hole in each light lense on the bottom. Also went ahead and sealed around them and screws.

I'll be checking the top edge seal and screws tomorrow. Thanks for replies! !

Tags
leak, water, water leak