Old 05-08-2017, 06:05 PM   #1

New camper with leaking issues

Hi there...new to this site so bear with me as I try to figure this out Last fall we ordered a new Surveyor which we picked up April 1st of this year. At the end of the month I (luckily) happened to be in the camper putting stuff in order to get ready for camping season. April was the rainiest April on record for my area. The night before I was in the camper it had rained but it was clear the day I was working in camper. All of a sudden I hear running water, turn around and water is pouring out of my vent hood. I immediately called our dealer and Forest River. Forest River told me to take it to the dealer and it would be fixed. Dropped it at dealer...more days of continuous rain before they could get to it. When we dropped it off we were told they would re caulk everything. My husband brought the camper home today and they told him they only sealed around the outside vent as they think the rain was blowing up in there ????? Meanwhile I have been reading other peoples posts about the problems they've had and hope we didn't make a bad decision in trading in our old camper for this NEW one. People have mentioned re caulking everything on the roof. I mentioned this to my husband and he said he doesn't know how to go about doing this. Does he strip down what's on there now as the seams are all flat...or caulk over what's there now? Afraid we already have sitting water between the roof and ceiling area and don't want anymore in there. Thanks

Luv2camp64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:13 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. My first thought is if its not broke don't fix it. Check the caulking and re-caulk areas that may have been missed or don't seem to be adequate or where the caulking has cracked. was your vent shut?

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #3

Thanks for the welcome. The vent was closed. I have read other people's posts where they have said a pinhole in the caulking could cause a slow leak or the leak could be 6 feet away from the area where it eventually came through :-(
Old 05-08-2017, 06:34 PM   #4
Site Team

I would check the roof and reseal anything that looks suspicious. You do not have to remove old sealant. Just clean up well with alcohol and add new sealant. Be sure to use the correct sealant (ie Dicor) never use silicone. Roof vent covers will allow water in if the wind is strong and in the right direction.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #5

As i reread my post I can see the confusion...the water was pouring down the rim of the vent hood over the stove and all over the stove. Continued leaking after that even after my husband raised the hitch to try and stop it til we could get it to the dealer.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:41 PM   #6

Caulk isn't going to fix the problem. You need to find the leak, I would suggest a hose on a dry day with someone inside investigating. Then I would do whatever flashing is needed, then use Eternabond over it.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:48 PM   #7

I have also read online about people trying that method to find the leak. We are also primitve campers...Fur Trade/Rendezvous people. My husband is ready to give up trailer camping and stick to the canvas tent LOL
Old 05-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #8

So you have a brand new camper that is leaking.
Drop it at the dealer and tell them it is 20 bucks a day till they fix it.
When they THINK they have have it fixed, put someone on the roof with a hose and check it out.
If they balk at the 20 a day, tell them to take it back and refund all money.
They will fix it then.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2camp64 View Post
Hi there...new to this site so bear with me as I try to figure this out Last fall we ordered a new Surveyor which we picked up April 1st of this year. At the end of the month I (luckily) happened to be in the camper putting stuff in order to get ready for camping season. April was the rainiest April on record for my area. The night before I was in the camper it had rained but it was clear the day I was working in camper. All of a sudden I hear running water, turn around and water is pouring out of my vent hood. I immediately called our dealer and Forest River. Forest River told me to take it to the dealer and it would be fixed. Dropped it at dealer...more days of continuous rain before they could get to it. When we dropped it off we were told they would re caulk everything. My husband brought the camper home today and they told him they only sealed around the outside vent as they think the rain was blowing up in there ????? Meanwhile I have been reading other peoples posts about the problems they've had and hope we didn't make a bad decision in trading in our old camper for this NEW one. People have mentioned re caulking everything on the roof. I mentioned this to my husband and he said he doesn't know how to go about doing this. Does he strip down what's on there now as the seams are all flat...or caulk over what's there now? Afraid we already have sitting water between the roof and ceiling area and don't want anymore in there. Thanks
I would get on the roof and check the dicor sealant from the factory....we bought a 2014 (new) about 14-16 months later I noticed some delamination on the side went up on the roof and found some small gaps in the dicor right above the delam. Of course the warranty was out, but it had been leaking there since it came from the factory. I have 0 (zero) confidence in forest river products......take nothing for granted. I hope you haven't sustained to much damage, as for my trailer I probably lost thousands in resale value.
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:41 PM   #10

That was what the dealer originally told me they were going to do...reseal everything on the roof. When my husband picked it up they told him they only sealed the outside vent over the stove because figured it "blew in" when it was raining??? I feel your pain. We were so excited to finally find a floor plan and camper that would be our "forever camper". Soooo disappointed now!! When I called Forest River I explained my concern about water sitting in the roof and ceiling area and in a few years we would run into problems. She told me she put my info in the warranty program. Also told the dealer our concerns and he said the same thing..."It's in your warranty paperwork" Yeah..pretty sure we all know how that's going to turn out!
Old 05-09-2017, 06:17 PM   #11

Here is a video showing how a leak test can be performed on your camper. I would insist that the dealer do this test or one similar.

veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:42 PM   #12

That's a very informative video...may check into that just for peace of mind. Thanks
Old 05-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #13

It's amazing how much damage a little water/leak can do. Unfortunately that damage is hidden and continues to get worse before we find it. By that time, you may be out of warranty.
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:22 PM   #14

When shopping for new/used TTs at local dealers I purposefully stopped by after work on days we had heavy rain. I found new ones that leaked badly even though the salespersons verified that all vents, windows, etc. were closed... Because I was present, they tagged it for a work order but who knows if they did anything to fix those units...

One had a HEAVY stream of water running down the wall between the bath/kitchen, across the dinette floor, and out under the dinette slide-out. I'll bet that cause permanent damage & pity the folks that bought that one...

Fortunately, I found a super-nice salesperson who was patient driving me around in the rain... In the end we found a mildly USED unit, same as the new ones we were looking at that was bone dry. Thankfully the assemblers leave a lot of saw-dust under all of the cabinets, etc. because it was still undisturbed 2 years later - indicating that no water had run through those areas... After spending 2 hours inside during a MONSOON, with no leaks, I figured it was a good one...

However, the dealer still included a FREE pressurized leak test and re-caulking as a part of the sale. (They said they also do the same for every new unit...) During our 2.5 hour PDI they replaced the battery, CO2 detector, adjusted all slide-outs, awning, etc. and we were on our way...

We camped for the next 3 seasons without any serious issues so I'm glad I took 5-6 hours inspecting this unit & pestering for a thorough PDI... I DO worry about leaks & feel the carpet & look into cubbies after heavy rains...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:56 AM   #15

Wow...you were so lucky to find a dealer like that!!! Unfortunately we live 45 minutes to an hour (at least) away from any camping sales sites. I did spend one day going to the 3 in one area before making our final decision. What an interesting experience that was...some salespeople took the time and some not so much. Those ones I quickly dismissed as I knew if we had any issues it would be more of the same lack of interest. We have learned a lot with this experience. Our first two campers we bought from family/friends and knew what to expect. Our 3rd camper was a year old used one but we outgrew that so looked and looked til we found a floor plan we loved. When we picked up our new Surveyor there were at least 7 or more new ones that had also been ordered and waiting for pickup!! Hope they have better luck. Makes us wonder if the factory was just rushing through to fill orders. I mentioned the pressurized test to my husband and we definitely may be doing that.

Tags
camper, leak