Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2014, 11:58 PM   #1

New Roof Replacement & Wrinkles on Side Cap

Recently had a tree fall on RV and damages side caps and roof. When local dealer replaced for $7,000 plus dollars, the drivers side side cap has wrinkles from the front of the 31 foot coach to the back. Should this be acceptable and will the wrinkles cause further issues. Seems like a lot of money for a job that is not like a new roof. Thank's for your input to a newby.
shootermik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootermik View Post
Recently had a tree fall on RV and damages side caps and roof. When local dealer replaced for $7,000 plus dollars, the drivers side side cap has wrinkles from the front of the 31 foot coach to the back. Should this be acceptable and will the wrinkles cause further issues. Seems like a lot of money for a job that is not like a new roof. Thank's for your input to a newby.
Was it rubber or TPO ? Wrinkles could be a problem but might also disappear. Lets say it's best to not have them for sure, but How bad are they? Are they along the edge or where?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:27 AM   #3
Plain Old Member

Won't affect the function of the material, but doesn't look as appealing with the wrinkles. That's just sloppy work in my opinion. Mine wrinkles at the plywood seams now and then, depending on the temperature. Cedar Creek says, that is how we do our roofs, and it is normal to have wrinkling. Funny I thought. Why is it about every other manufacturer has a smooth roof, and all my previous EPDM roofs were smooth. Either way, I don't sweat it. It works, and I can't see it from the ground.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #4

Wrinkled Roof

The roof replacement was Dicor rubber roof. The wrinkles appear to be more on the crown (corner) vs the side edge where it is secured by the trim.
I was told it should lay down more but there track record has not been good considering they had the coach for almost 6 months and forgot to do certain things and charged for a few of them as well. I am thinking I will keep the coach for about 2 years and possibly upgrade. On the surface, I would estimate that the quality of work could cost me $1,000 or so just in resale of the 2000 Georgetown 303 with 30K miles. I am picking the coach up tomorrow. I like it and it is a decent intro to RVing. They had to reconfigure the wiring and reconfigure it electrical disconnect, solenoid, and batteries after allegedly fixing it a couple weeks ago. House batteries were not charging and they hooked the dual house batteries as series not parallel as I have read is the correct set up. I think they will be charging for the same service twice. I am having a discussion with the service manager tomorrow. Sorry if I am complaining but I appreciate being able to ask for advice learn from experience.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Was it rubber or TPO ? Wrinkles could be a problem but might also disappear. Lets say it's best to not have them for sure, but How bad are they? Are they along the edge or where?
How could wrinkles be a problem, Catching limbs, tears, moisture?? I tend to expect people that do work correctly and stand behind there work. I want to be fair with my expectations.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #6
Plain Old Member

You should expect a clean smooth roof. I know I would. I hate hearing that such an expensive job turned out like that. Don't feel bad for complaining. We've all done our fair share on this forum. Keep us posted please.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #7

Wrinkled Roof

Thanks Big John, I am thinking I may want to escalate above the service department for a management review. As a business owner I know what I would do.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootermik View Post
How could wrinkles be a problem, Catching limbs, tears, moisture?? I tend to expect people that do work correctly and stand behind there work. I want to be fair with my expectations.
I don't understand your comment? I never said that wouldn't be a problem. I asked where they were that's all. If it is along edges it's a problem. If you do not like the way they installed it then don't pay them have them fix it correctly. I was not defending winkles. I had a topper replaced because of them. But also I know that the sun will pull some out. That was why I asked. I guess that should tell you I do not like wrinkles they cause ware. That's why they replaced my toppers. Under warranty. Still have a problem with one, which I have decided to get repaired in Goshen it is on my list. Sorry you misunderstood my comment. Good Luck and HAPPY CAMPING...let me know when you find a competent dealer...Thank You

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #9

You have been helpful and thank you. I just talked with the service guy and he is saying no issues other than visual and many come out of the factory new with similar issues. (Visual is important). I have expressed my concerns and they are addressing. Unfortunately, I have paid for the work. Very familiar with Goshen as an central Indiana resident. I will keep looking for the competent dealer. FYI, hopefully camping this weekend!
Old 06-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #10
DDC

I'd be telling them I'll pick it up when you have done the work to my satisfaction, why should you accept shoddy work, the cost of doing the work I'm sure is based on doing it right.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #11

Picked up RV. Spoke with head of service and parts dept. He said some of wrinkles may settle during the summer. Bring back in the fall to reevaluate and they could stretch the corner edge and rese if necessary. Make sense. Thanks for all the input and suggestions. Helpful and I will enjoy the support.

Tags
replacement, roo, roof