Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #1

New Trailer - Delamination Issue?

Well we settled on 2012 Surveyor SP189 last weekend and took it out on its maiden voyage this past weekend. On the way home, I noticed what looked like a bubble on the front about 12" above the decal. The bubble is about the size of a baseball and can be pressed in and it pops back out. Nothing behind this part of the trailer and no visible signs from the inside.

My dealer is about 3 hours away and I sent in a picture. Who knows what this will entail. The good news is that everything else in the trailer performed flawlessly. If this is a delamination issue, how will they fix it? The "factory" is half way cross the country from the dealership which is in Florida.

Stuart
Lpboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #2

We have the 2011 model 189 Surveyor, no major issues so far. Hope your Dealer can make good soonest. The good camping season has just begun.
vp22er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #4

I can tell you that if the bubble is over the decal where the front is curving it is not a delamination because there is no sandwitch panel at the curving point. I have seen severals trailers ( without naming the brands ) that at the curving point the fiberglass is warped and not even. It depend what type of framework you have at this point behind the fiberglass sheet. Neverless it is not normal and this issue need to be fixed under your warranty.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply. It is under the curved portion. I spoke with the service department and they mentioned rebuilding the front wall. This is rather disheartening as we just purchased the trailer last week and really don't want them tearing it apart before its second trip out. In either case, they are calling FR for advisement. Not the kind of experience I was looking for.
Lpboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #6

I have seen at a dealership at least 3 brand new trailers that had a serious wrapping issues at the front curving section. I was interested in one of those before buying my minilite and told them that they will never be able to sell a trailer in this condition. About a month after the mentionned trailers were having a new front fiberglass skin installed at the dealer. Quite a big job.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #7

2011 Wildcat 28RKBS, major delam on both sides after 3 months. We no longer have it and it was sent back to Oregon.
Hijacker double pivot slider
hatstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #8

You were lucky that you were able to return it back to the company. Usually even if a trailer needs a tons of repair under the warranty and it is new they will not permit to excanged it. They prefer to fix it even if the repair price is more than the trailer price. I tried to get rid of my minilite because it was new and needed major repair. It was refused and it was repaired instead. not counting the expences for returning the trailer to Middleburg for the repair and the return to Canada. A big pile of money!!!