Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #1

New Wildwood, Long Term Camper

I know to many, a 36BHBS is not a camper one would plan on keeping 10 years. But my wife and I are going to be stuck with it for a long time 10-15 years (due to kids and school). I am taking delivery in a few weeks and would like to know what I can do to a new camper to make the roof, slides, and seams water tight long term.

I was thinking about Eternabond all of the seams, edges, and holes. I know it may not look the greatest in areas you can see, but as I said, this is a long term investment. What about the slides. Are slide covers worth it? Or do they create more problems? How about roof cleaning? How often and with what?

I am also wondering about seams lower in the trailer such as around the bottom of the slide outs. What do I do with them? Can I eternabond them as well? Will they damage the side seals?

Any advice in the slide seals? In our case the slides only open and close once a year. Spring and fall. Or is it better to run them in and out every weekend even though we don't tow it?
Wallda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #2

Eternabond is great best price at amazon I have it on all my seams when I put it on I ran blue tape (just masking tape) so I had a good straight edge for the Eternabond because when it touches the surface it DOES NOT COME OFF I would not put around sky lights because if you need (when) to replace them you will not be able to get them off just keep the correct caulk in good shape don't forget to keep the rub molding around the lower portion of the outside walls go together I just use a good latex clear caulk clean your roof at least 3 times a year I use spic an span make sure you clean the walls as soon as you get done with the roof it not you could get staining
stinglejet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:09 AM   #3

Use a good slide out seal products make sure you get the rubber inside an out I do this 4 times a year don't forget to lube the slide mechanisms underneath I use spray white lithium Greece spray well run slide in am out a couple of times spraying each time I also do the step pivot points don't forget the pivot points on the awning also if you look you can find clear spray white lithium this is best because it is waterproof an it is not petroleum based which collects dirt DO NOT USE WD40
stinglejet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:45 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallda View Post
I know to many, a 36BHBS is not a camper one would plan on keeping 10 years. But my wife and I are going to be stuck with it for a long time 10-15 years (due to kids and school).
10 years seems like a pretty good number to shoot for. I've seen plenty trailers around that are 10 or more years old and still look pretty good. It's all about how well you keep up the yearly maintenance.

Quote:
I was thinking about Eternabond all of the seams, edges, and holes. I know it may not look the greatest in areas you can see, but as I said, this is a long term investment.
Eternabond is highly recommended by many people here. You'll use it mostly on your roof so it shouldn't be seen by too many people. I'd suggest checking out a few youtube videos on how to apply it. It can be tricky.

Quote:
What about the slides. Are slide covers worth it? Or do they create more problems?
I'm in the minority that thinks adding slide covers is not worthwhile. I suppose it depends on where you trailer is sitting though. If you are going to be under a lot of trees, they might be worthwhile to you just to keep the leaves and branches off. They do have a tendency to stain your roof eventually.

Quote:
How about roof cleaning? How often and with what?
Regular dawn dish soap and a medium bristle brush. Again, it depends on how dirty your roof gets but every month or two is usually good.

Quote:
I am also wondering about seams lower in the trailer such as around the bottom of the slide outs. What do I do with them? Can I eternabond them as well? Will they damage the side seals?
Those seams should just be checked periodically and caulked as necessary. I don't think eternabond would work.

Quote:
Any advice in the slide seals? In our case the slides only open and close once a year. Spring and fall. Or is it better to run them in and out every weekend even though we don't tow it?
Aerospace 303 is a popular choice for spraying on slide seals. Again, this is just part of routine maintenance. The slides themselves should be fine. Most seasonal campers leave them out from April to October.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, wildwood