Old 05-18-2014, 10:33 AM   #1

Newbie roof repairs

I wanted to share so that others who might be intimidated by roof maintenance (like I was) would be willing to give it a shot. First, let me say that I am so grateful for this forum and the opportunity to learn from all of you. Thank you so much! Next, I am a stay at home mom and wife to a military man who is currently deployed. I have had to learn to do many things I never thought I'd do over the last 15 years because of DH's line of work.

So, here's the story...
We sold our beloved popup in February in order to look for a hybrid. I found our '04 Shamrock HTT. I love it! Turns out, love is not enough. Graduating from a popup to a HTT has been an eye opener. A lot more holes in the roof to worry about. We had a drip from a corner of the bathroom fan. I bought self leveling lap sealant to go up on the roof and tackle this drip. While up there, I decided to look at the caulk around the skylight. It came up like a zipper! Then I discovered all kinds of cracks in the skylight itself. Then I realized both of the tank vents needed to be replaced. Holy cow! I came to the realization that nothing had been done to the roof for quite some time, if ever!

With the help of this forum and counsel from the local RV parts store, I tackled it! I replaced the skylight and the vents and recaulked! Of course, there is more to do. I plan to eterna bond and caulk the end seams of the roof and also install a Maxxaire II cover over my bathroom fan. Then it's on to caulking the rest of the camper. Oh! And the awning needs to be replaced. But we are going to get by with tape for a little while as I have blown the DIY budget out of the water

So, thanks again to all who contribute to this forumClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1400423454.455970.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	52677Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1400423472.916088.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	52678Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1400423496.106497.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	52679Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1400423525.736248.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	52680Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1400423542.547464.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	52681

Old 05-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #2

Thank you so much for posting pictures and telling us about your experiences. We have had our TT for 3 years now and when we bought it the sales guy said to keep the roof warranty valid we had to re-seal the roof once a year. We are at the point in our lives where we are happy to pay someone to do things like that for us. Every year when we take it to the dealer to get it winterized/de-winterized we ask them to do the roof for us and they always blow us off. Your post makes me feel like we are capable of doing it ourselves. (But it doesn't mean we really want to!)

And thanks to you and your husband for the service to our country!

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

sunnygirl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #3

That's an awesome job you took on lady. A tube of self leveling is cheap compared to the damage water causes.

Sent from my A210 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #4

Thank you Sunnygirl and Captchaos
Old 05-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheffonade View Post
I wanted to share so that others who might be intimidated by roof maintenance (like I was) would be willing to give it a shot. First, let me say that I am so grateful for this forum and the opportunity to learn from all of you. Thank you so much! Next, I am a stay at home mom and wife to a military man who is currently deployed. I have had to learn to do many things I never thought I'd do over the last 15 years because of DH's line of work.

So, here's the story...
We sold our beloved popup in February in order to look for a hybrid. I found our '04 Shamrock HTT. I love it! Turns out, love is not enough. Graduating from a popup to a HTT has been an eye opener. A lot more holes in the roof to worry about. We had a drip from a corner of the bathroom fan. I bought self leveling lap sealant to go up on the roof and tackle this drip. While up there, I decided to look at the caulk around the skylight. It came up like a zipper! Then I discovered all kinds of cracks in the skylight itself. Then I realized both of the tank vents needed to be replaced. Holy cow! I came to the realization that nothing had been done to the roof for quite some time, if ever!

With the help of this forum and counsel from the local RV parts store, I tackled it! I replaced the skylight and the vents and recaulked! Of course, there is more to do. I plan to eterna bond and caulk the end seams of the roof and also install a Maxxaire II cover over my bathroom fan. Then it's on to caulking the rest of the camper. Oh! And the awning needs to be replaced. But we are going to get by with tape for a little while as I have blown the DIY budget out of the water

So, thanks again to all who contribute to this forumAttachment 52677Attachment 52678Attachment 52679Attachment 52680Attachment 52681
Very nicely done you should go to work for my dealer, maybe something would get done correctly.....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #6

Lol! I told my husband I may have missed my calling

Tags
newbie, repair, repairs, roo, roof, roof repair