Old 08-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #1

Newbie Storage in Ca - Cover Rockwood 2104S? Stabilizers? Blocks?

We are storing our new Rockwood Mini Lite 2104S in a facility. We are located in Northern California where the weather isn't very extreme, but I was wondering if we should buy a cover for the winter? We will still be taking it out about once a month. If a cover is suggested, is there a specific brand?

Also when we park the trailer should we keep it on it's stabilizers and blocks? We have put chocks on the wheels. Thanks in advance....

tmlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:36 PM   #2
Site Team

We lived in Napa for 12 years and the sun ruined the decals.
If it's new, I'd recommend a cover.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #3

x 2 on the cover. I live in Nor Cal also and don't want the bleached out look. I found mine on Amazon...I believe it was an ADCO.

m
mfeeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:02 PM   #4

The Adco is nice. I like the one with Tyvek on the top the best. Very durable.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:12 PM   #5

This is the one I've bought. Had one similar on my Pop-up for 6 or 7 years and now bought one for my larger TT.

ADCO 34844 Designer Series Gray/White 26' 1" - 28' 6" DuPont Tyvek Travel Trailer Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T367Z7I..._HmLIzbKY73EHA
Old 08-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #6

I read somewhere not to use a cover because it may do more harm than good, by keeping moisture in and heating the surface of the camper like an oven. I'll look for the article.
LilHorse&buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilHorse&buggy View Post
I read somewhere not to use a cover because it may do more harm than good, by keeping moisture in and heating the surface of the camper like an oven. I'll look for the article.
You're talking about using tarps.
RV covers are breathable and don't trap moisture.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlogo View Post
We are storing our new Rockwood Mini Lite 2104S in a facility. We are located in Northern California where the weather isn't very extreme, but I was wondering if we should buy a cover for the winter? We will still be taking it out about once a month. If a cover is suggested, is there a specific brand?

Also when we park the trailer should we keep it on it's stabilizers and blocks? We have put chocks on the wheels. Thanks in advance....
I didn't notice your question on stabilizers and blocks..

Here's my take.. putting down the stabilizers introduces another entry path for mice and other critters. I would think the lower number of entry points the better. I don't use them when it's parked in storage. I'll use chocks for the wheels to make sure it doesn't go anywhere and my toungue jack and leveling pads under the tires to level it out and that's it.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #9

I am going to be sewing my own cover. I have an industrial machine and make boat covers. I am going to be adding venting on mine to allow any moisture to vent away. The vent will be made of a screen like fabric with a flap that sits over it. I believe commercially available covers do this.

I am going to make mine out of Sunbrella which will be way more heavy than the ones you buy but will likely last 10 years instead of 4-2 like a lot of these covers.

I am going to be storing mine in a friends lot behind one of his properties. It will be up on jack stands to unload the tires if its going to sit for more than a couple months.
babock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #10

I bought an Adco cover but have never used mine(CA Eastern Sierras.) Two reasons, I use my rv frequently and it doesn't seem to justify the hassle of putting in on. Also, the rv body shop told me that "people who cover their rv's keeps them in business. The wind causes the covers to scratch the paint." I live in a windy area and an Adco windshield cover scratched my drivers door and I had to have my nice full body paint job on the door repainted.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:17 PM   #11
Canadian Member

For a Mini Lite, store it with the tires not touching soil. My tires sit on patio stones, others use asphalt or wood on a solid surface. You just need to keep moisture away for the tires.

I don't bother blocking it up. IMO, they are made to handle longer storage periods. Mine sits from mid/late-October until mid-May without being moved. Some like to move it a bit over winter but I never have.

Use a RV-specific cover if you want, but not a tarpaulin. The only negative I've heard about RV covers is that they may rub on the exterior if not tight. The majority of owners don't use one.

I agree that you shouldn't put the stabilizers down. It's an access point for mice and critters and if a tire went flat while its in storage it could put a lot of pressure on a stabilizer.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I don't bother blocking it up. IMO, they are made to handle longer storage periods. Mine sits from mid/late-October until mid-May without being moved. Some like to move it a bit over winter but I never have.
Goodyear says the following:
Tire Storage - Goodyear RV

Quote:
Ideally, a vehicle in storage should be placed on blocks to remove all weight from the tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Use a RV-specific cover if you want, but not a tarpaulin. The only negative I've heard about RV covers is that they may rub on the exterior if not tight. The majority of owners don't use one.
My parent's Lance camper has been covered when not in use since 2000. It looks like new still.

babock is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
210, cover, lock, newbie, rockwood, stabilizers, storage