Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2018, 11:43 AM   #1

No slam hinged door.

I recall the salesman telling us FR used a tight hinge on the door so wind could not close it. There is not a way to secure the door in the open position.

It's been about 18 months and the door slams shut with the gentlest of breezes. Is there an adjustment to tighten up the hinges or do I just live with it and bungee it so it stays open?

Thanks.
Ron
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:53 AM   #2

They use a bracket on the door and a spring loaded arm on units that open to the side wall to keep it open. I gather your awning arm is blocking that. I would look into putting the spring arm on the door and the receiver bracket on the arm. I replaced my plastic one with a longer Stainless steel one and bent to fit how I wanted it because I put a sat. cable hatch there behind the door. Just a thought.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron045 View Post
I recall the salesman telling us FR used a tight hinge on the door so wind could not close it. There is not a way to secure the door in the open position.

It's been about 18 months and the door slams shut with the gentlest of breezes. Is there an adjustment to tighten up the hinges or do I just live with it and bungee it so it stays open?

Thanks.
Ron
Two of mine have a magnet setup. One on the door and another part on the trailer side. Something like one of these: RV Designer Black Magnetic Catch for Slam Cam - Catches - Hatch & Compartments - Hardware

My third slam door is under a slide and can not stay open. Unfortunately, that is where I store many of the items I use setting up and breaking down camp...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:57 AM   #4
Site Team

You could look into adding a gas strut to your door. I know others have done this.

Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:59 AM   #5

I believe he is talking about the entry people door slamming shut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Two of mine have a magnet setup. One on the door and another part on the trailer side. Something like one of these: RV Designer Black Magnetic Catch for Slam Cam - Catches - Hatch & Compartments - Hardware

My third slam door is under a slide and can not stay open. Unfortunately, that is where I store many of the items I use setting up and breaking down camp...
Old 06-26-2018, 11:59 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post

Based on the pic in OP's profile, there is a storage compartment that would be in the way.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:09 PM   #7

It's also called a "Friction Hinged Entry Door". My KS trailer has one. I've had mine about the same length of time and it still works like day one. I do not remember seeing any type of adjustment to tighten it back up though. You might try calling/emailing FR.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #8

I had the dealer put one of the old-fashioned door standoff/latches on mine when the friction hinge allowed the door to blow close with minimal wind.

https://www.campingworld.com/6-inch-...hite?rrec=true
Old 06-26-2018, 03:28 PM   #9

There's one that comes into pieces male and female used on utility trucks to keep the doors open.

Also one that slides into a slot.

A good truck supply or van supply shop should have them.

M-Bob
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:33 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
There's one that comes into pieces male and female used on utility trucks to keep the doors open.

Also one that slides into a slot.

A good truck supply or van supply shop should have them.

M-Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsteele View Post
I had the dealer put one of the old-fashioned door standoff/latches on mine when the friction hinge allowed the door to blow close with minimal wind.

Based on the pic in OP's profile, there is a storage compartment that would be in the way. Or possibly the awning arm.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsteele View Post

X2 - I have the style door your talking about and the wind will blow it closed. I ordered/installed one of these myself. No more problems.
B&W Companion 20K for OEM pucks.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:04 PM   #12

I can not open my door all the way when the awning is out. For now we are using bungee and securing it to the awning arm.

Wonder if a have a warranty claim. I have 6 months left.

Ron
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #13

Sailorsam: I have a 26rlws with the slam door under the slide. I just turned the whole thing upside down so it opens from the top. I just open the door gently so it doesn't bang the side of the camper.
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty. Nick 25 y/o and Leif 6 1/2 yrs.
cruisegrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:29 AM   #14

Similar problem with the entry. door on my new 5er. It doesn't slam, but it also blows shut in a stiff breeze. I'm considering adding an old-fashioned catch to hold it in the open position. Kinda defeats the purpose of the no slam door. Oh well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forest River Forums mobile app
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door