Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #1

Opinions needed on water intrusion

Below is a picture showing water intrusion/damage on the back of my TT. I'm not 100% sure where the water is entering yet but I'm looking for opinions on how to repair. I'm thinking these are my options:

1. Take to dealer and let them deal with it
2. Remove a light or two and hook shopvac up and try to suck the water out and reseal at roof line and lights.
3. Drill a couple tiny holes at the bottom of the blisters and let it drain or use shopvac, reseal roof line and lights and the newly drilled holes.

Right now there is water sloshing around in those blisters. I need to get it out before the damage gets too bad. Thoughts?

brad10281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:30 PM   #2

Man, that is bad.
What does the top seam look like? The gap has to be wide enough to easily see. I find it hard to believe that much damage is from the marker lights or a small leak.
The only way to fix that is to have the factory replace the wall. Most dealers seem reluctant to tackle such a project.
My guess is YOU are looking at a $8K repair bill. This will not be a warranty issue.
Sorry.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #3

You last sentence is a little Late,You have Major Damage already! That cap needs to come off! Youroo!!
Old 08-20-2017, 07:44 PM   #4

You guys are stressing me out. I promptly went and took my blood pressure medication after reading your replies. The top seam looked fine when I looked at it and the lights seem sealed well too. Guess I'll take it to the dealer and see what they say.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad10281 View Post
You guys are stressing me out. I promptly went and took my blood pressure medication after reading your replies. The top seam looked fine when I looked at it and the lights seem sealed well too. Guess I'll take it to the dealer and see what they say.
I know what you mean,heck I took a drink of Whisky when I saw your Damage myself! Youroo!!
Old 08-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #6

Sorry to stress your heart. Please keep us posted on what the dealer says.
You might want to see if the insurance company can do anything, I doubt it but it might be worth a shot.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I know what you mean,heck I took a drink of Whisky when I saw your Damage myself! Youroo!!
I took another swig myself. I feel for the OP.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #8

So is this par for the course of owning an rv, or am I just unlucky? I've only owned this rv for 1.5 years. Been great except for this. Good thing the season is almost over so I can go without it while it's getting repaired. The thing only cost $14k am I still looking at an $8k repair? I was thinking maybe a couple grand.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
Sorry to stress your heart. Please keep us posted on what the dealer says.
You might want to see if the insurance company can do anything, I doubt it but it might be worth a shot.
Yeah, I was thinking about insurance too. I'll look into it depending on what the dealer says. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:15 PM   #10

Quote:
So is this par for the course of owning an rv, or am I just unlucky? I've only owned this rv for 1.5 years. Been great except for this. Good thing the season is almost over so I can go without it while it's getting repaired. The thing only cost $14k am I still looking at an $8k repair? I was thinking maybe a couple grand.
A couple $ G's repair for example would be a tire blow out. (lower fascia, and decal replacement)
This damage, to be repaired properly, will require the entire wall end cap to be removed (exterior/interior).
With the water in there, black mold has already started to grow on the saturated insulation.
The wall will need to be removed.
All wiring will need to be removed / re-routed, re-insulated, sealed, graphics re-applied ect. Anything attached on the interior, (beds, tub, cabinets) removed and replaced.
Very labor intensive plus the cost of the end cap wall.
Hopefully, at $14K if insurance gets involved, they will total the unit.
Or, you could trade it, they might give you $4K.
No good way to sugar coat this one, sorry.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:11 PM   #11
Site Team

Hate to ask this but did you ever do any roof maintenance?
Specifically the caulking around the roof membrane.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:13 PM   #12

I haven't and have obviously learned an expensive lesson. Hopefully others will read this and learn from my mistake.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:11 PM   #13

You have a delamination of the rear panel from the backer board. It appears from the picture that your lights are sealed only at the top of the light. Pull the marker lights and see if there is a water track behind them.
Absolutely you will need to remove the rear panel. Remove all insulation. Fully dry the wall framing. Inspect for mold if this has been wet for a longer period of time.
Your main cost will be a replacement panel and shipping. If possible picking up the panel yourself will save you hundreds of dollars.
This is an easy repair, having done numerous times.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:13 PM   #14
15 -21FBRS 17-F150 2.7 e

Water leaks

2 kinds of RVs. Those that leak and those that are going to leak. I had water coming into front wardrobe closet. I eternabonded the front seams on my 21fbrs. Still leaked. Took off the marker light and it was wet. Silicone around the wires and silicone around the lens. All fixed
J.Fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsdaletc View Post
You have a delamination of the rear panel from the backer board. It appears from the picture that your lights are sealed only at the top of the light. Pull the marker lights and see if there is a water track behind them.
Absolutely you will need to remove the rear panel. Remove all insulation. Fully dry the wall framing. Inspect for mold if this has been wet for a longer period of time.
Your main cost will be a replacement panel and shipping. If possible picking up the panel yourself will save you hundreds of dollars.
This is an easy repair, having done numerous times.
X2^^^^to ALL the above, IF he has a location to work out of the weather and has the tools and skills to perform the work. I do, many of my friends do not. A couple of them would not know which end of a hammer to grab on to in order to use it. They just pay someone else to do what they need done for them.

I would check to see if there is an RV repair business near you. I believe he will probably do a better job for less money than a dealer, who in my experience is WAY too proud of his labor.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
X2^^^^to ALL the above, IF he has a location to work out of the weather and has the tools and skills to perform the work. I do, many of my friends do not. A couple of them would not know which end of a hammer to grab on to in order to use it. They just pay someone else to do what they need done for them.

I would check to see if there is an RV repair business near you. I believe he will probably do a better job for less money than a dealer, who in my experience is WAY too proud of his labor.
Funny you say that. When I read that I was looking at an $8k repair, my first thought was to build a shelter over the TT and remove the rear panel and see what I'm dealing with. I love projects like this so I can use them as an excuse to buy new tools! I think the wife is on to me though. Just wish I had a pole barn so I could work on it over the winter.

Well, the trip to the dealer is going to have to wait anyways. My truck broke down last night and is at the dealer as I type this. Horrible binding and popping noise coming from underneath, had to have it towed. Luckily it made it home from our weekend camping trip. Awaiting the bad news on that one now.

Now I spend my days just trying to keep myself in check...it's just a camper, it's just a truck, it's just money...life goes on. I have people close to me that are MUCH less fortunate. When you think about it, we should be thankful for these insignificant problems we bring to ourselves by buying these expensive toys...though I do understand that these serve as homes to some of you, so they're not just toys.

Anyway...HAPPY CAMPING!!!
Old 08-22-2017, 10:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Funny you say that. When I read that I was looking at an $8k repair, my first thought was to build a shelter over the TT and remove the rear panel and see what I'm dealing with. I love projects like this so I can use them as an excuse to buy new tools! I think the wife is on to me though. Just wish I had a pole barn so I could work on it over the winter.

Well, the trip to the dealer is going to have to wait anyways. My truck broke down last night and is at the dealer as I type this. Horrible binding and popping noise coming from underneath, had to have it towed. Luckily it made it home from our weekend camping trip. Awaiting the bad news on that one now.

Now I spend my days just trying to keep myself in check...it's just a camper, it's just a truck, it's just money...life goes on. I have people close to me that are MUCH less fortunate. When you think about it, we should be thankful for these insignificant problems we bring to ourselves by buying these expensive toys...though I do understand that these serve as homes to some of you, so they're not just toys.

Anyway...HAPPY CAMPING!!!
Goodness. E-mail some of the Grace you have. I am in no way as calm as you are....prolly never will.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:39 AM   #18

I would not bother with the dealer, contact the factory and see if you can have them do the repair. Warranty or no, the factory will do a much better job than any dealer will, and probably at a lower cost.

My 2 cents

John U
2010 Born Free 22RSK
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #19

Any thoughts on "family owned" shops? A quick Google search shows me that I have quite a few to choose from in my neck of the woods. I just don't want to haul this thing all over for estimates.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #20

Well, the truck just had a wheel bearing that fell apart, so nothing major.

The TT has been dropped off at a local shop (non-dealer) for an estimate. From the conversation I had with the gentleman I'm feeling a little better about the repair. Should find out in a day or so. It may not be "like new" once repaired but it'll be dry and sealed. I'm not looking to replace that back panel unless absolutely necessary.

Tags
water