Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2014, 11:39 PM   #1

Options for Cracks in Fiberglass Roof - 2000 Flagstaff Pop-up

Hello!

While cleaning the roof of a 2000 Flagstaff pop-up, I noticed multiple small cracks in the roof. I am assuming this is gelcoat failure (??). The until has been stored under a shed for most of its life, so I was rather surprised by the condition of the roof. I repaired a sailboat with similar issues using a two-part epoxy paint, followed by a topside paint. Is this a valid way to approach this issue? I have read some folks will use a bedliner paint or re-gelcoat.

Thank you for any suggestions.

colokate
colokate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:26 AM   #2

Cracks...

You are on the right track...your experience with sailboat repair will serve you well. But first, you must determine whether the cracks are cosmetic or extend through the fiberglass shell. If surface, then your plan for repair sounds fine...if structural, then cutting or grinding out the affected area and replacing with glass mat and resin is the place to start. Good luck!
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by colokate View Post
Hello!

While cleaning the roof of a 2000 Flagstaff pop-up, I noticed multiple small cracks in the roof. I am assuming this is gelcoat failure (??). The until has been stored under a shed for most of its life, so I was rather surprised by the condition of the roof. I repaired a sailboat with similar issues using a two-part epoxy paint, followed by a topside paint. Is this a valid way to approach this issue? I have read some folks will use a bedliner paint or re-gelcoat.

Thank you for any suggestions.

colokate
I would go your route, Check with West Marine, they have kits to use and tints for gel- coats. If they are deep cracks I would use a 3m filler first, just like you would repair a boat haul or topside cracks, no difference at all.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #4

slipf18 and gljurczyk,

Thank you very much for your replies!

I am trying to determine if the cracks are only in the gelcoat, or extend deeper. The roof is not spongy, but these little cracks are everywhere! I was planning to grind out the cracks and fill. But, with so many cracks, I wonder if I will find them all. But, that is how I will move forward. Grind and fill what I can find, epoxy the roof (which hopefully will protect the cracks I missed) and paint.

Again, many thanks!

colokate
colokate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #5

Another route is EDPM liquid roof. It is a thick rubber liquide that is the same as the white on a EDPM rubber roof. It goes down thick and warrented for 10 years. It will also seal all of your seams and around vents, AC, etc.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #6

What was your result, I have same issue on my 99 on the door and back side along the corners by the corner trim, (also have roof rack mounted to same place both sides)
Was told a simple CC might be a fix, for the hairline cracks
bhesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff, roo, roof