Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2015, 08:23 AM   #1

Oxidation????

About a year after I bought our 2013 WildCat Maxx I washed the roof with a commercial RV roof clearer. This caused a chalky film on the sides where the cleaner ran over the sides. I have tried numerous de-oxidizers including using a buffer and buffing compound. Nothing has worked so far. Is there any way to restore the clear coat?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Samslik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:29 AM   #2
DDC

If it has etched the gel-coat I don't think there is much that can be done, this is why I only use Murphy's soap on the roof, to scared of those products that tell you to 'try a small spot first', good luck maybe someone will have a more positive answer.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samslik View Post
About a year after I bought our 2013 WildCat Maxx I washed the roof with a commercial RV roof clearer. This caused a chalky film on the sides where the cleaner ran over the sides. I have tried numerous de-oxidizers including using a buffer and buffing compound. Nothing has worked so far. Is there any way to restore the clear coat?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
We were at a (SOB Factory) having some repairs done,and a BIG 5th wheel came in also. They had used a (Cleaner?) on their Roof also,they were Replacing ALL the Glass Windows in the unit caused from Streaks running down the sides while cleaning! They had to Pay for the window replacement! Not all Cleaners are (EQUAL)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:08 AM   #4

A product like PoliGlow (www.poliglow-int.com/demo-video) will repair the shine, but its going to be a lot of work.
caesar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:38 AM   #5

White, (fine grit) rubbing compound will polish it back up again but it will take some work...and quit washing that roof. Each time you wash it you remove a bit of the outer wear layer. Nothing to be gained by washing it, complete waste of time....
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:52 AM   #6

Would 0000 or 00000 stainless steel or copper steel wool work?

just a thought

I would prolly talk to a body shop or a reputable detail shop

JMO
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:01 AM   #7

Take it to a car body shop, They could probably spray it for you. It might be costly but it should be able to come back. I clean and coat my roof every year, or atleast I should say the dealer dose. You need that protective layer on them. If they determine that you did not keep up maintenance on it. Your warranty is Void.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #8

Thanks for all the input fellers. I have decided to try the PoliGlow. I've ordered it thru Amazon and it won't be here until next Wed. I'll let you know how it turns out. Again, thanks a million.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:03 PM   #9

Polishing compound and a buffer, if I can buff the the gel coat to a high gloss on my 1984 fiberglass boat I'm sure it will work for your issue.

There are specific compounds for fiberglass, talk to someone that sells automotive paints they usually carry buffers, polishes, etc.
GmanHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:00 PM   #10

I tried the Poli Prep with a buffer which helped a little. So I will keep working at it. Thanks to all for the good advice.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:19 AM   #11

Same thing happened when I washed the rubber roof with the Dicor Rubber Roof Cleaner. What a mess. And I had even rinsed down the sides as I washed to try to avoid this problem I finally used Awesome cleaner from the Dollar Store. Took all the sludge off. I have aluminum siding. Test a small inconspicuous spot first. I'm sure this stuff would remove decals so be careful.This stuff is strong. Directions say to dilute. I used 50/50 and then rinsed and dried section by section. Finished up with a polymer spray wax. Sprayed on, buffed off. Looks great.
wildwoodtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote