Old 08-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

It is a rip off still in use at most car dealerships under various names used to boost the profit. It is heavily touted especially when the deal was at, near, or under invoice as a way to put more profit in the deal. When I bought my DWs new LaCrosse Hybrid at $2000 under invoice (Invoice less incentives) they tried REALLY hard to get her to buy all kinds of extras.

You can buy the same type of "protection" (paint sealant) at the car store or online and put it on yourself.
Griot's Garage Paint Sealant, Auto Paint Sealant, Paint Sealer, Griots Garage Sealant

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #12

IMO these additional services such as paint protection, scotch guarding, extended warranties, nitrogen filled tires are all cash cows for the salesman. That's where the real profit margins lie.

Additioanl services and warranties offered by third parties are not likley worth the paper they're written on.

my 2 cents.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
IMO these additional services such as paint protection, scotch guarding, extended warranties, nitrogen filled tires are all cash cows for the salesman. That's where the real profit margins lie.

Additioanl services and warranties offered by third parties are not likley worth the paper they're written on.

my 2 cents.
No argument at all...

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #14

It's almost as if these RV dealers studied the worst practices of car dealers in the 60's & 70's and decided that they'd work better in the RV marketplace.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont_like_to_fly View Post
Anyone out there with a paint protection package, such as Xzilon? Is it worth it or a waste of money?
I bough the Xzilon on E-bay and did it myself, (mostly as an experiment) used it on our 2010 Kia Soul that we bought summer 2009, rain STILL beads up on the entire car EXCEPT the fender that was repainted this year from a lil fender bender, we purchased another car Jan 2010 and I have yet purchased any more Xzilon, however I WILL and this time enough to cover the trailer too! I think the stuff does protect paint for a couple years vs couple months of wax, however I doubt its worth the price most dealerships want to charge, if your a DIY'er then try it yourself for less than $100! I did, and would do it again! (for that price)

ps. I ordinarily wax my cars/trailer about two or three times a year (never waxed the Soul)
2011: 365
2012: 365
Fulltimers
viperjpm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon

my 2 cents.
One can always tell if a dealer trusts his product if Extended Warranty is included at no extra cost. Also if tires are Nitrogen Filled when new Keep them that way (tires will run cooler)
Old 09-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #17

Trailers should be washed at least once a year but some of you guys don't seem to realize that there is owners who are unable to wash their trailers. Everybody to his own !! Of course trailers should never be pressure washed