Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2019, 06:03 AM   #1

Palomino Roof Questions

Bought 4 tubes of Dicor with plans to seal all of the rooftop equipment before winter. The big sticker they put on the side of the unit claims the warranty will be invalid if I don't at least check it.

1. Is this the right stuff to use?

2. I am about 235#. Is it really ok for me to be walking around on roof?

Thanks!
DenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:06 AM   #2

The 235 lbs shouldn't be an issue. As a 2018 model it probably has a TPO roof rather than EPDM. TPO looks like an orange peel compared to smooth for EPDM. In either case Dicor products are fine from my experience. I always scrub the heck out of the roof with Dawn and water on my hands and knees and thoroughly rinse first. The next day I will inspect all the caulked areas and see if any of it looks like it's lifting and carefully remove with a scraper the lifted caulk on those areas that have used the SELF-LEVELING product. Those areas that are horizontal will use a NON-SAGGING product, since you don't want it going anywhere. In either case, before I apply ANY new caulk, I will wipe those areas thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol to insure a good bond. I have had good results from RV Upgrades.com and the product can be had in white or tan depending on which looks good to you. I use the tan for the obvious reason.
Vertical surfaces and anywhere else, I use the Geocel Proflex Ultra Clear which I've had good results, some use Lexel. You "shouldn't" be having too many issues with 2018 yet. Do stay away from silicone bathtub type products on all external surfaces. A good cleaning of your roof will tell you what to do

That sticker on mine and maybe yours too also says to treat slide seals and gaskets. Most use 303 Protectorant
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:43 PM   #3

I second jeff64’s recommendations. Some people recommend applying new Dicor over the old. It is pretty hard to clean old caulk and it looks messy putting new over old. I used a heat gun to soften the old caulk before removing. Be careful not to heat up the TPO too much.

Tags
palomino, roo, roof